Shark Fin / Bee Sting Aerial.

Spookybear

Sold up
T6 Pro
I'm getting a bit bored with my DAB reception now on my std head unit. Was just looking for a roof mount, didnt really want to drill the body but heyho.

Lo & behold, looks like Vdub have got fed up too as noticed the new T6.1 has a roof mounted front "block" not really a nice looking thing but just goes to show they have succumbed to the issue too

Any recomendations for a nice looking but decent working sharkfin style?

Last edited:
@Absolut5 - That looks like the costar one? how do you find it on a factory radio as it looks like this has the phantom power supply not a dedicated one?

Evening all,

Having read the numerous posts and threads about DAB signal being poor in area and the solution being either a shark fin aerial or bee sting aerial ( Skipton and absolute 5).

Can anyone tell me, if one of the aerials were to be fitted, do the leads go straight to the back of the headunit or have I got to fuss around with the cables in the wing mirrors and connect them all up?

I have the original VW headunit which has Sat Nav, DAB and phone functionality.

TIA

I'm interested in this as well. Seen on travelin-lite IG, they sell these but wanted some feedback from people who installed them before I go ahead buying.

I was half temped to pick up a universal DAB/FM/AM/GPS shark fin up off ebay and give it a go. at £45, it far cheaper than travelin-lites £120 offering which only does DAB/FM/AM so if it didn't turn out to be much better than the stock setup it wouldn't be as frustrating.

All the aerials in the links do not have the correct connections, the ones we supply and Travelinlite are far better quality and come with the right connections

All the aerials in the links do not have the correct connections, the ones we supply and Travelinlite are far better quality and come with the right connections

I've had a look at the rear of my headunit. It has one black connector which is for the DAB and then a white and purple twin one which I reckon is for the FM function. I presume the others go untouched, as they are for GPS and USB?

I've had a look at the rear of my headunit. It has one black connector which is for the DAB and then a white and purple twin one which I reckon is for the FM function. I presume the others go untouched, as they are for GPS and USB?
That is correct

That is correct
Absolut5 thanks for the reply. Only puzzle for me is the twin FM connection. If I get an external aerial, what type of connection will replace the twin one? Also will the power feed for aerial be via the FM or DAB connection?

I would ask the supplier if the aerial will power up via the coax as some only will with the red wire,

You need a twin Fakra fm to standard aerial and single Fakra for dab

Our shark fin aerials powers up via the fm coax or separate cable

I would ask the supplier if the aerial will power up via the coax as some only will with the red wire,

You need a twin Fakra fm to standard aerial and single Fakra for dab

Our shark fin aerials powers up via the fm coax or separate cable
I'll PM you for costings.

Still haven't got round to getting one as work and home life has been busy. Anyone fitted one recently and which one? Did you get it off one of the online shopping sites or from an audio installer such as @Absolut5 or Skipton?

Reception doing my head in.

Definite improvement, had one fitted at Advanced In-Car Technologies - Audi & VW Retrofits

Took about an hour and a half, needs a 19mm hole in the roof but excellent install and hardly ever drops out, even can get DAB from the UK when driving up towards Belgium from the Tunnel.
Thanks the reply. I'll take a look at their website. Can I ask approximately how much hard earned cash did it cost for the fit?

Back