DAB/FM/AM Reception poor after mirror repair

copek

Hi there,

I had an after market wing mirror fitted last Sept following a mirror high 5 with a wide caravan - power folding, heated glass, DAB antenna as the original.

I'm SURE the DAB worked when I collected it from the garage, but since then the DAB reception first went weird (filtering effect) and then has stopped with a 'no aerial' symbol on the head unit.

The garage has had a look and are now claiming the aftermarket mirror never had a DAB aerial in it and I need genuine VW to get DAB reception! I am fairly convinced this is bollocks - I remeber checking it aftert hey did they work with 6 Music which is DAB only.

Anyway, I popped of the wing mirror cover to have a look and here are some pics ... can anyone identify the aerial from the pics and if it should be DAB ...?

New aftermarket antenna says FM2 (worryingly ...). Old VW says '50 18'

Unforutnately the hole for the leads on the new mirror assembly is too small to allow transferrrign the old antenna across. I guess a logical step would be to connect the old antenna and see if that works to rule out an issue with the head unit.

Cheers!

20210518_094408.jpg

20210518_094412.jpg

20210518_094424.jpg

How many cables are connected to aerials? FM, GPS, DAB - they all have their own.

More:

Good point. Door card off to check that then!

Thanks for the link too - had seen that but no images loaded before.

Hmmm, got a nasty feeling I only have FM in the new mirror and am therefore going mad remebering it working on DAB. There's no way an FM aerial can feed DAB (badly) I take it?

FM left & right.

DAB right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210519-134535_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-134535_Chrome.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20210519-134527_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-134527_Chrome.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: das
So, took it back to the garage and kind of resolved this one.

It seems there was no DAB antenna in the new wing mirror. However I am CONVINCED I listened to DAB with it .... Maybe they had previously plugged the FM antenna into the DAB connection ... I don't know, maybe I'm going mad. There was a loose connection in the door card wiring, however this didn't resolve anything.

Anyway, we ended up taking the DAB antenna out of the old mirror, plugged it in and fixed it within the door card and now have DAB reception again!

I have a query you may be able to help me with.

In March I fitted the shark fine DAB aerial and required leads for my T6 with the discovery media head unit (one with 2 SD card slots).

The old connections I taped up and left behind the head unit and plugged the new connections in.

Everything seamed to work although it was debatable as to if the DAB reception had actually improved.

Anyway, a few weeks back a lad on a moped took out my drivers door and mirror (folding version) to which I had to get a garage to repair. I know the OEM aerials are located in the mirror. We needed some body work done and replacement wing mirror /motor plus other bits and bobs.
I know the chap and we’ve used him before so I know he’s pretty straight.

When complete I picked up the van and all looked great.

However, I am having a problem with the DAB, FM and AM.

Firstly I have no reception.
I would have thought that as the old aerials to the mirror are redundant, all reception should be from the new shark fine I installed. I’ve checked the connections and power supply to fine which all seems fine.

Secondly, when on the DAB source screen on the unit and although I have not reception, I can turn the volume setting down with the adjustment knob (as indicated in the volume bar) but not up..?

Any thoughts?

Back