Relocate DAB aerial

3crispies

Classic Vws
T6 Guru
Looking into replacing Dab aerial fitted in our mirror onto roof or upgrading original. Would love to upgrade headunit but cant stretch that far at the moment. May not be linked but once mirrors are inverted water drains out of them. When van was new had issues with handsfree and Vw replaced antenna but thought this was in passenger mirror.
Anyway anyone had a sharks fin fitted and whats best with approx price absolut5 ? and timewise to fit in our kombi with oem roof...

I installed a windscreen aerial in mine after I had both the mirrors smashed off over the last year.

The dash is really easy to take apart, and it's not a big deal to fit a windscreen aerial (I got mine for £12). If you wanted to run the cabling up to the roof liner it wouldn't be a big drama I wouldn't have though?

Have a watch of this video for an easy how to for stereo removal:

Reactions: Ses
I installed a windscreen aerial in mine after I had both the mirrors smashed off over the last year.

The dash is really easy to take apart, and it's not a big deal to fit a windscreen aerial (I got mine for £12). If you wanted to run the cabling up to the roof liner it wouldn't be a big drama I wouldn't have though?

Have a watch of this video for an easy how to for stereo removal:
Was the relocation an improvement? I ask as I’m sure I’ve read a post where someone said there was little difference (possibly due to their geographical location, maybe).

Edit to add:
Here’s the post by @Jason Stancliffe -

Last edited:
Mine was massive improvement, I've no doubt a shark fin would be even better, however I couldn't put a shark fin on as it would make the van too high for most carparks.

Before the wing mirror was whacked it worked 50% of the time.

After it was whacked it worked 5% of the time.

With the windscreen cheapo aerial it works 85-90% of the time.

For the sake of the price and 15 mins work it was worth it!

Fitted a Eightwood shark fin bought off Amazon to mine, hardest bit was making the hole in the roof. 100% better gps and dab reception.

Before and after

F83018F3-6BB8-48F3-810A-110828CACAAE.jpeg6DC17436-1D2D-42D5-A6A0-FC0B1FE0B548.jpeg

Having broken both side mirrors I replaced them but now find that the new mirrors do not have the antenna in them. Is there a suitable aftermarket antenna such that would fit inside the windscreen that I could buy? I still have the old O/S mirror and could take the antenna out of that I suppose but putting it into the new mirror would involve removing and probably breaking the cover!

Having broken both side mirrors I replaced them but now find that the new mirrors do not have the antenna in them. Is there a suitable aftermarket antenna such that would fit inside the windscreen that I could buy? I still have the old O/S mirror and could take the antenna out of that I suppose but putting it into the new mirror would involve removing and probably breaking the cover!
Do you have a pop top roof ?

drop us a pm and il go through your options ,

If you buy VIP membership there's a guide to removing the mirror covers without breaking clips. Has your new mirror got the same number of pins in the connector as your current one?

so what have you done to improve the DAB reception?
my signal is in and out like a robbers dog...

Kenwood 8020 headunit and audio upgrade sounds great and I listen to the radio a lot when driving.

Have THQ v3 LED front lights, so LED indicators and DRL, halogen bulbs for dip and main beam, THQ LED rear lights and LED indicator repeaters.
I also have a heated screen.

We will probably be fitting a pop top next year.

I'm tempted to put a shark fin on the roof until we fit the pop top, but what other options are there?

How about a whip style antenna on the side of the van on the rear side corner?

Is it possible to fit a shark fin on top of the rear tailgate spoiler and run a ground connection to the bodywork somewhere?

Back