Seldom use of the van during lockdown..

XZO

T6 Pro
Crazy times. Not driven in a week and I have all needs locally so no real need to drive anywhere just at the moment.

So - considering giving the Caravelle a good clean and wax, pumping up the tyres, attaching a trickle charger and then leave it until the Corvid issue finishes which could be weeks away.

Same with my wife's Yeti

I would suggest brimming it with diesel first and beware some simple trickle chargers which will happily continue charging well after the battery is saturated
such that the float voltage can easily exceed 15v, Optimates are cheap enough ;)

Pretty much the same situation here. cleaned and polished both our cars and although my kombi battery will be fine for at least 4 weeks, I plan on plugging in my hook up for a couple days every week to keep everything nicely topped up!

.... how nice .. we will have all our beautiful California shiny, with full batteries, full of diesel and? .... it will take at least a couple of months, at least here in Italy .... tragic!

Reactions: CAB
Hi guys just wondered on peoples thoughts now we are trapped at home.

Apart from the battery maintenance that I have read how are people looking after the brake discs etc. Not used mine for a month and they are so rusty as unfortunately has to live on the drive like most.

Anyone using wheel covers?

I drive mine the 0.9m to work and back atm. Im only one in office. Every other day I take it several junctions along M25 on way to work to keep the demon EGR sated.

Thanks guys yes very true.

I don’t always have chance with time to go long runs and always concerned to do short runs.

Shopping is an option however parking in a supermarket car parks brings other problems.

Thanks as always

I would take it out the long way to the shop for a good run, I would class it as essential maintenance, and for the ERG and battery it definitely is!!

Thanks guys yes very true.

I don’t always have chance with time to go long runs and always concerned to do short runs.

Shopping is an option however parking in a supermarket car parks brings other problems.

Thanks as always
Absolutely. I try and time my Costco run with the van run as a) it’s a reasonable run, and more importantly b) the spaces are big and I park way away from the store! :thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB
A good run to clean out the EGR.
From my understanding you are doing the opposite. The egr does not function when cold, or under acceleration. It is only open when warm and at a steady speed.
However, looking after the egr on short cold runs just fills the dpf quicker.
Can’t catch a break:rolleyes:

I haven't had my campervan very long... Reading about trickle chargers etc has got me a bit confused and I don't know if I need one or if driving it a couple of times a week will make it unnecessary?

When I drive it, will it charge the leisure battery? I have a Sargent Ec155. Does the red on/off switch need to be on or off when I'm driving?

Thanks!

Back