How does a post Covid-19 world look?

When it comes to furlough, grants etc, I say if it’s good for you/your business take it if you can get it. Everybody should pay their taxes and it’s only once in a blue moon you get a chance to benefit, so if some people can benefit from this situation we are all in then I say good luck to them :thumbsup:

May not quite be the right thread but .....post covid is likely to last some time putting social distancing apart and the fact we may soon be camping again ..it’s the facilities we where once used to having may not be available at every site that we choose to visit..so now it’s not just the kitchen sink we need to take with us .....so I’ve just invested in Thetford toilet and shelter.....my way of thinking is the camp sites will at first close all showers and toilets until we get used to this new world ....Post Covid world just got more expensive:cry:

Last edited:
May not quite be the right thread but .....post covid is likely to last some time putting social distancing apart and the fact we may soon be camping again ..it’s the facilities we where once used to having may not be available at every site that we choose to visit..so now it’s not just the kitchen sink we need to take with us .....so I’ve just invested in Thetford toilet and shelter.....my way of thinking is the camp sites will at first close all showers and toilets until we get used to this new world ....Post Covid world just got more expensive:cry:
In fairness I bought one for camping anyways. This just means I’ll use it more!

Dear All......been watching The news and talk of the possibility of the travel industry starting up....Holidays abroad...the conundrum is where in the past we where give a holiday allowance from your employer and we would book 2wks in the sun and straight back to work ...How will it work if things remain as they are that on return to UK you have to self Isolate for 14 days...Will your employer be happy to loose you for 28 days each time staff go away overseas or will the rules have to change....
If you holiday in UK your employer has only to cover your job for 14 days ( assuming you book 14 days)
can employers ( as well as self employed) carry the financial burden after all that’s happened...how would you feel about working along side a persons thats return to work after holidaying abroad.......
the trouble is the media report that people are desperate to get away..but no one seems to report what happens when you come back

sorry just had to clap :)

Dear All......been watching The news and talk of the possibility of the travel industry starting up....Holidays abroad...the conundrum is where in the past we where give a holiday allowance from your employer and we would book 2wks in the sun and straight back to work ...How will it work if things remain as they are that on return to UK you have to self Isolate for 14 days...Will your employer be happy to loose you for 28 days each time staff go away overseas or will the rules have to change....
If you holiday in UK your employer has only to cover your job for 14 days ( assuming you book 14 days)
can employers ( as well as self employed) carry the financial burden after all that’s happened...how would you feel about working along side a persons thats return to work after holidaying abroad.......
the trouble is the media report that people are desperate to get away..but no one seems to report what happens when you come back

My wife and I normally holiday abroad at least 3 times a year. I now have no intention to get on a plane anytime soon.
Personally, I would now prefer to explore more of the Uk, be it in the van or having hotel breaks... I just won't feel comfortable sat in a flying metal tube, in close proximity to humans whilst breathing in their breath via the air conditioning.

I don't like being close to strangers at the best of time but this has made me even more reluctant.

I don't like being close to strangers at the best of time but this has made me even more reluctant.

A mate of mine (Yes, I have more than you and Mark) texted me the other day and said 'Paul, you've been practicing for this social distancing lark all your life haven't you' o_O

As for a potential 14 day quarantine rule, it's a double edged sword for me personally.
On one hand it will be great for my business. We started in 2008 when the last crash happened, and Caravans/Motorhomes popularity went through the roof, but instead of people buying new units, they were getting us to Restore the exteriors of their existing ones and keeping them for several years longer. Plus loads of newbies were purchasing 2nd hand, which we also got to work on. The trend lasted several years, then went back to as it was pre-covid, where lots of owners were just replacing Caravans every 3 years (not so with Motorhomes, they tend to be every 6 years) which again is fine, because we get to treat the exteriors with paint protection on brand new.

However, on the other hand, I work my ass off for basically one purpose, and that's to go away into Europe in my own Motorhome as many times a year as my wife can get off work. By now, we'd of been away 3 times already and we were meant to be in Ile de re in France as we speak. We also have several more holidays still booked, including more in France, one in Italy, and one in Austria. The French trips aren't until August, and i'm hoping that these quarantine measures will be lifted by then. Yeah, maybe I could go around the UK this year, but after the pictures all over the media of the beaches on Wednesday, and how hundreds of people crammed against each other, plus the gridlocked roads around anywhere decent, the thought of having to potentially deal with that on any UK holiday, which is a new reality, is my idea of hell.

I think any prolonged quarantine rules will be the final straw for 100s of businesses throughout Europe that need UK tourism along with airlines, and that is a heartbreaking shame.

It'll be a UK staycation for us if we go away this year.

That said the UK has so many places to enjoy, then we'll be spoiled for choice ..................
If all those places haven't already been spoilt by the hordes who've got nowhere else to go! We tend have a mix of UK and foreign trips every year and the UK places that we prefer like Cornwall, Devon and Dorset are all usually quite civilised to visit outside of school holiday time but if the pictures appearing on the news and TV over the last few days are anything to go by, they won't be quite so nice for a while yet!

If all those places haven't already been spoilt by the hordes who've got nowhere else to go! We tend have a mix of UK and foreign trips every year and the UK places that we prefer like Cornwall, Devon and Dorset are all usually quite civilised to visit outside of school holiday time but if the pictures appearing on the news and TV over the last few days are anything to go by, they won't be quite so nice for a while yet!

Oh yes. We'll wait until all the schools , colleges and universities go back

Oh yes. We'll wait until all the schools , colleges and universities go back
Might be a long time. Cambridge announced virtual lectures only until start of academic year 2021

Bit odd really. As far as the seriousness of the illness its least in the age group most students belong to. We could do with them all catching and recovering from it to help with herd immunity :eek: :whistle:

Might be a long time. Cambridge announced virtual lectures only until start of academic year 2021

Bit odd really. As far as the seriousness of the illness its least in the age group most students belong to. We could do with them all catching and recovering from it to help with herd immunity :eek: :whistle:

Hum. I saw the Cambridge news and thought it was politically motivated. My daughter in on a physics course, so lab work is critical.

I have images in mind of all those that have descended to Margate and similar and found out there are no toilets and left the beaches full of toilet paper - as reported on LBC yesterday...

It would be nice if a large percentage of us could build a immunity up against the dreaded
At least it would be less for society to worry about

It will be to protect the teaching staff.

A mate of mine (Yes, I have more than you and Mark) texted me the other day and said 'Paul, you've been practicing for this social distancing lark all your life haven't you' o_O

Maybe I could go around the UK this year, but after the pictures all over the media of the beaches on Wednesday, and how hundreds of people crammed against each other, plus the gridlocked roads around anywhere decent, the thought of having to potentially deal with that on any UK holiday, which is a new reality, is my idea of hell.

I think any prolonged quarantine rules will be the final straw for 100s of businesses throughout Europe that need UK tourism along with airlines, and that is a heartbreaking shame.

I think it will q

I haven't noticed any change in my normal routine since social distancing. I've spent the last 30 years avoiding Humans.

i guess Ms Patel has just put paid to any doubts about overseas holidays:

"The BBC's travel correspondent Tom Burridge asks if there is any chance people will be able to go on holiday this summer and poses a second question on the broader health risks to the community of reopening schools, in terms of spreading infections.

Patel bluntly says the government is "absolutely" not talking about people taking holidays of any sort this summer.

She says she absolutely understands people want to get back to a normal life but notes that the Foreign Office is advising against non-essential travel."

from the latest briefing.

It will be to protect the teaching staff.
It seems strange that Cambridge University have decided that their staff will need to stay away from work until January 2021 to remain safe. How can they predict that the risk will be too high even a year and a half away?
To be fair, I'd hate to see anybody put at risk. So in the same spirit, all those who won't be willing to go to work to do their taxpayer funded jobs for a year and a half should not be prepared to go out anywhere for that same period of time. No holidays, flights, social meetings, going to the shops, none. They should remain in lockdown. I wouldn't want them exposed to any risk, and if it's too dangerous to work........
Hum. I saw the Cambridge news and thought it was politically motivated.
Murdoch, I agree.

Back