Second dead battery in less than 3 years? moll

Nickynok

Hubby has a 2017 VW Transporter Kombi which already had the battery replaced under warranty at the end of Feb 2018.
He didn't extend the warranty, as he didn't get any notification it was running out (& as its been appalling service anyway).
Battery died on him completely a few weeks ago, but he was sat in the vehicle for an hour or so, so assumed (although he had the engine running) it was causing a drain on the battery.

Unfortunately in the meantime, hubby has been in hospital with Covid, I was using the van for a few short journeys (Which of course now I think has drained it further) Of course it is now completely as flat as a pancake!

Have spoken to the Service department who tell me that the battery isn't covered with a manufacturers warranty as the Vehicle warranty has run out & not been extended. Despite me saying there is clearly still faults with these batteries/wiring etc.

Im loathe to buy another battery from the dealers, especially as they are quoting me for another Moll battery, not to mention £140 +vat for fitting (for 30 mins work!)
I've asked if they have any other batteries and they tell me they do, but do not recommend as its a higher ampage.

What's your recommendations guys, as I can get halfords out to do a mobile fitting of an AGM battery - one with a 4 yr guarantee & a different one with a 5 yr guarantee - both for less than the price of a crap Moll Battery!

I'd rather get it dealt with sooner rather than later, so that hubby doesn't have to stress about it, as he's still rather unwell with complications of Covid....Much rather be a nice wifey and tell him I've dealt with it all for him! (But would like some advice from people in the know, so I dont F**k up! lol)

TIA :)

Reactions: CAB
you're out of warranty, so do as you please.

go for the Halfords 3year one, let them fit it.

take it back to them if you have problems.

Wish Hubby well, . . . . and maybe look at getting a Smart charger if the van is not used regularly over the winter periods.

a 24hr charge every few weeks should keep it in good condition.

you're out of warranty, so do as you please.

go for the Halfords 3year one, let them fit it.

take it back to them if you have problems.

Wish Hubby well, . . . . and maybe look at getting a Smart charger if the van is not used regularly over the winter periods.

a 24hr charge every few weeks should keep it in good condition.

Thanks hon. Have booked it in anyway - 5 year guarantee & mobile fitting - can't grumble at that & they are coming Sat! The vans usually used daily, all 4 seasons, its purely been where hubby has been unwell for 8 day & then in hospital, but I was using it for short periods of time.

I just wanted confirmation that other people are still having issues with the MOLL batteries. I might look at a Smart Charger anyway - just in case! :)

the battery has to be coded to the van, I assume halfords know this

Why are VW still fitting MOLL batteries?
My 2018 van was serviced in November, and I asked them to check the original Moll battery as it had been reading as low as 11.6v, though it had never let me down. The dealer in Preston checked it, confirmed it faulty and replaced it - with another Moll.
I am hopeful, though, that Moll have addressed whatever issue it was that caused so many of their batteries to fail and in the process let VW down.
Also, I would expect that a new battery would be warranted for at least 2 years, if not longer, otherwise it could be deemed not fit for purpose and normal consumer protection rules should protect against its failure.

My 2018 van was serviced in November, and I asked them to check the original Moll battery as it had been reading as low as 11.6v, though it had never let me down. The dealer in Preston checked it, confirmed it faulty and replaced it - with another Moll.
I am hopeful, though, that Moll have addressed whatever issue it was that caused so many of their batteries to fail and in the process let VW down.
Also, I would expect that a new battery would be warranted for at least 2 years, if not longer, otherwise it could be deemed not fit for purpose and normal consumer protection rules should protect against its failure.
Its a 2 year standard warranty with VW, which they say they extend to three years. However, because it was replaced last time under warranty, and our warranty has now run out, they say its not covered (Even though it was replaced less than three years ago!)
I still find it ridiculous that a battery doesn't last longer than 2 years!

Halfords batteries come with up to 5 year warranties.

wonder how long VW warranties are for?
Its a 2 year standard warranty with VW, which they say they extend to three years. However, because it was replaced last time under warranty, and our warranty has now run out, they say its not covered (Even though it was replaced less than three years ago!)
I still find it ridiculous that a battery doesn't last longer than 2 years!

Oh bugger, I haven't a clue...put the reg in & paid for mobile fitting, so I would also hope they would know!

if they don’t code it the van will still run but you should get it coded, Vw can do this. Also you will need to reset the windows to get them to close on one touch. You do this by opening and closing them holding the button down after which they should work as before

My main battery in my T6 has died and I’ve been quoted £213.54 from the local VW van centre for a replacement - they didn’t say what model, just that it was an original VW part.

Before I bite the bullet, any recommendations for a better replacement?

The one that died is a Moll.

Thanks!

2709D004-3C3B-4C81-80D2-331D01B62EE8.jpeg

more info here:

Flat battery this morning, unable to start (ironically, a Noco GB150 is due tomorrow) after my battery was replaced a year ago. The van has been unused for a week. Regardless of the warranty having expired (in September) I would say that just 12 months from a battery is not fit for purpose.
It needs to go in for an Inspection, so I will ask the dealer to test it again, and see what they say.

a stock van with a charged battery should last for more than a week - (should last 3weeks)

so . . .

do you think the battery was not fully charged in the first place? - was you driving short trips?

or

do you have other kit connected to the starter battery that might be slowly draining it faster than the stock / OEM 50mA quiescent draw? - ie phone chargers or other?

++++++++++++

VW will scan for codes to see if the battery monitor (on the NEG terminal of the battery) has flagged a power drain. - quiescent power draw detected

then ask to keep it over night to do a 12hr test . . .

they will also charge the battery and then test it the following day with a battery tester - if it tests good you get it back, if it fails then then you can push for a new replacement (under the 2yr warrenty)

keep us posted Shaun . . .

great news about the GB150 they are great units - - - - i love mine =]

+++

+++

Back