Scratched Cluster Plastic

I'm keeping an eye on my Scirocco clocks now, since that was at the dealers a couple of weeks ago, although that was handed back to me with a steering wheel and gear knob cover.

To remove the micro scratches in the past I have used abrasive compounds. Anything, depending on how bad or superficial it is, toothpaste, T cut, some polishes and so on. There are probably property products that cost a lot more also. Auto Express may have something in its archives that may be suitable and tested. We occasional buy an old car just to go about the lanes and headlamps are nealy always frosted. There is a whole host of products that claim to improve them, some are a lot of hard work and still produce a disappointing finish others are excellent. Anyway Auto Express will most likely have old and new product tests, take your pick.

These are cracks not scratches, there is no polish that can remove cracks inside the plastic.

These are cracks not scratches, there is no polish that can remove cracks inside the plastic.
They can be melted depending on how deep. Some headlamp scratches tht are deeper than the usual frosting can be melted out with a product, I forget which I bought on recommendation from Auto express and it worked to my surprise. Always a bit skeptical but if it cheeper than replacing on an old heap or even a new one.

As I said these are cracks not scratches. These cracks can occur in the plastic without reaching the surface, I cannot see how your preparations can deal with them in any way. The only solution is to re-melt the plastic.

I would be going back and asking them to replace them.

I’ve sent him the pics as I had a long journey yesterday, and wasn’t able to go back to him. Not really sure what to do bout it yet, but advised him not to use sanitiser on the screens.

is it a big job to get this fixed, or would I have to change the clocks?

There are a few for sale on ebay. I grabbed this pic - looks like the screen clips on. If I’d done the damage I’d buy one from ebay, harvest the screen then resell it without screen.

CB3F581A-7321-462B-B842-0D12344B81B2.png

That said it does look like the edge is bonded (dark line around perimeter).
Usually the clocks are coded / paired to the vehicle in some way so swapping them out isnt straight forward.

Ian

I've zoomed in on the edge - that dark line looks more like a gasket in closeup, I think that you were correct first time and it just clips on.

I
That said it does look like the edge is bonded (dark line around perimeter).
Usually the clocks are coded / paired to the vehicle in some way so swapping them out isnt straight forward.

Ian

I have been thinking of changing the clocks to get the better menu options and MPH on display. But had other other jobs planned, as it was down my list of priorities.... but in light of this I’m going to have to reconsider what I do. Quite disappointed tbh as I didn’t need this at this point in time.

Just took these pictures, is this what you were referring to earlier?

when the sun is shining onto the dash it’s really annoying, could get away with it in shade and at night.

thanks for the comments, hopefully it will help someone out.

View attachment 93089

View attachment 93091
Sahara Desert abuse then? What was it cleaned with , sand paper?:rofl:

There are wipes that have alcohol of some sort in them. Sound implausible but it works by melting the surface of the plastic and fusing it back to a smooth appearance. It just need a little effort and a few more wipes than suggested in the destructions. I am sure that it would impove things and probably do a good job. Certainly it would not be worse.

But they are not scratches!!!!!!!!!!!

Sahara Desert abuse then? What was it cleaned with , sand paper?:rofl:

There are wipes that have alcohol of some sort in them. Sound implausible but it works by melting the surface of the plastic and fusing it back to a smooth appearance. It just need a little effort and a few more wipes than suggested in the destructions. I am sure that it would impove things and probably do a good job. Certainly it would not be worse.
I think that you are having difficulty understanding the difference between scratches and cracks. These cracks form as a solvent changes the structure of the plastic and the internal stresses from manufacturing change causing the cracks to appear.
How are you going to access the internal cracks? You keep writing about the surface only.

I’d be very surprised if you can buy the plastic screen separately, would love to be proven wrong though.

20201124_141135.jpg

This is a picture of the clocks the day before.

I sent pics of the after to him and he's claiming it was like that getting there...
I taken this pic of wheel day before for selling it... I sent this one to him, and said you can't see them because of shade..

Also insisted that they were there, and that he didn't touch them. I was behind him when he wiped area down....

Could someone please look at this pic and give me their opinion...

Thanks in advance.

I’ll happily send someone the pic so they can see it in better resolution if you want..

Can someone tell me how much it would cost to change the cluster please..... don’t know how big ... or small a job it is.

Can someone tell me how much it would cost to change the cluster please..... don’t know how big ... or small a job it is.
I wish I had seen this thread before cleaning my instrument cluster yesterday. I did the same and within a second of touching the screen it cracked!!!! I tried polishing and that did get rid of surface scratches but not the cracks!!!

VW have just quoted shy of £1k to supply the new unit without installing and coding to van.
Anyone found anywhere that can simply repair the screen?....... please????

D57E85C0-613C-409C-9C1E-C0938D56DA0E.jpeg

I wish I had seen this thread before cleaning my instrument cluster yesterday. I did the same and within a second of touching the screen it cracked!!!! I tried polishing and that did get rid of surface scratches but not the cracks!!!

VW have just quoted shy of £1k to supply the new unit without installing and coding to van.
Anyone found anywhere that can simply repair the screen?....... please????

View attachment 124074
A good toolmaker should be able to make a polycarbonate copy from the old one used as a pattern.
I mean a good toolmaker, old school not CNC aided.

Back