Scratched Cluster Plastic

IMO the problem is it’s scratched through cleaning. If you don’t touch the lens it can’t get scratched.

Can someone tell me how much it would cost to change the cluster please..... don’t know how big ... or small a job it is.
I wish I had seen this thread before cleaning my instrument cluster yesterday. I did the same and within a second of touching the screen it cracked!!!! I tried polishing and that did get rid of surface scratches but not the cracks!!!

VW have just quoted shy of £1k to supply the new unit without installing and coding to van.
Anyone found anywhere that can simply repair the screen?....... please????

D57E85C0-613C-409C-9C1E-C0938D56DA0E.jpeg

I wish I had seen this thread before cleaning my instrument cluster yesterday. I did the same and within a second of touching the screen it cracked!!!! I tried polishing and that did get rid of surface scratches but not the cracks!!!

VW have just quoted shy of £1k to supply the new unit without installing and coding to van.
Anyone found anywhere that can simply repair the screen?....... please????

View attachment 124074
A good toolmaker should be able to make a polycarbonate copy from the old one used as a pattern.
I mean a good toolmaker, old school not CNC aided.

I used Meguiars Plastx and a micro fibre cloth get rid of all but the worst scratches- super easy job and fantastic result- just time- consuming if you don’t remove the clocks from the dash but I guess you save removal time so swings and roundabouts!

This does seem to scratch easily, I’ve barely touched mine, dusted very rarely with micro fibre cloth but still seems to have fine scratches! I’ll add this to the list of jobs I’ll probably never get round too!

I am the last person to give advice on cleaning vehicles, highly over rated pastime IMO. But…vacuum with the brush end just off the surface and nothing will ever touch it to scratch it.

I am the last person to give advice on cleaning vehicles, highly over rated pastime IMO. But…vacuum with the brush end just off the surface and nothing will ever touch it to scratch it.
Tbh, I think I just clean it with my sleeve without thinking when I’m waiting in traffic and notice it’s dusty

Hi all, has anyone any tips on removing the scratches to the plastic. Hoping it’s just the surface but strangely looks like hazing to the rear also…FA553BE4-2E54-4957-B76A-6A1F94B305AF.jpeg

You could try Fenwicks Windowize from Halfords. It’s for polishing plastic caravan windows. I’ve not used it on my instrument cluster but have had good results with it on plastic headlights.

Cheapest on ebay, very good product. To avoid future scratching don’t touch it. It’s only people rubbing whatever comes to hand over the lens that causes the scratches.

The clocks on our vehicles I clean with a new soft microfibre and a squirt of AG Fast Glass onto the cloth and very gentle wipe over and dry. I wont risk paper / kitchen towel as I think there is a risk with using on plastic.

I also have a dust magnet type duster (dont tell SWMBO!) for doing the dash top, steering wheel cowl and clocks etc which is very soft.

They do seem to scratch v easily, this was how I bought the van but will be using a microfibre cloth in the future for sure.
Plastic polish ordered, fingers crossed it’ll come up like new

They do seem to scratch v easily, this was how I bought the van but will be using a microfibre cloth in the future for sure.
Plastic polish ordered, fingers crossed it’ll come up like new
Use sparingly or you could get some on the other side of the lens

Back