SCA194 Fabric Wear

Latest update on SCA roof . After 5 yrs of concerns over my thinning canvas it is going to be replaced with no expense to myself . I can’t thank Ian of Eclipse Campers enough for giving me his opinions and expert advice on my problem even though Eclipse had no input into the conversion of my van a lot more than I can say for the company that carried out the work. I’ve been put in the picture of why SCA were reluctant to just supply a new canvas which could go the same way if it’s a problem with the fitting of the actual roof / frame structure, and as I couldn’t obtain the serial number from my conversion company in Shrewsbury or find it on roof / documents I couldn’t proof if it had been fitted DIY . Ian at Eclipse campers has agreed to check structure / fitting of original canvas prior to fitting of new canvas from SCA, we will closely monitor the new canvas for signs of rubbing which would indicate a fault on the thickness of roof, SCA have agreed to this procedure through Eclipse which I’m more than happy with . If only the conversion company who carried out my work had taken this route we wouldn’t be in this situation after 5yrs and me losing faith in a premier product!!

Blimey i feel your pain!!!!
Why is everything such a fight?
Cant believe they denied fitting it????
It’s not my place, but i would maybe do a separate thread on the converters for lack of service who installed it.
Really glad for you that its now getting sorted :thumbsup:

Worrying as I have a lwb SCA with a record of god awful rattling, although converter put a rubber gasket around roof which has helped. Mind you, our roads are bloody awful, second only to those in Gloucestershire. Interestingly putting roof bars on has helped, but I am going to watch my canvas very carefully. But rattling suggests something with the roof rather than fitting.
Where is rattle coming from? When fitted you often need to adjust the locks on SCA 192 and 190, it’s a balance between allowing the roof to easily close but not rattle. Too loose and the roof can rattle when travelling and the noise is heard through the locks. Too tight with no rattle and the roof can be difficult to close. This can change also when the roof is subjected to heat (sun) or opened for longer periods, the rubber gasket expands when opened for a while so the roof can be tight to close. We adjust in the workshop and we have found that when we leave the roof open outside in the sun, the adjustment can be way off and is too tight. So the bottom line is you may need to adjust the roof to take up these fluctuations.

On the SWB 194 roof there should be rubber studs on the roof which touch the van when closed, the internal Southco lock is adjusted to tighten the roof against the rubber studs, however as there is no metal on metal lock as per the 192 and 190, there should be no rattles.

Rgds

Ian

Eclipse Campers
:thumbsdown::thumbsup:

Where is rattle coming from? When fitted you often need to adjust the locks on SCA 192 and 190, it’s a balance between allowing the roof to easily close but not rattle. Too loose and the roof can rattle when travelling and the noise is heard through the locks. Too tight with no rattle and the roof can be difficult to close. This can change also when the roof is subjected to heat (sun) or opened for longer periods, the rubber gasket expands when opened for a while so the roof can be tight to close. We adjust in the workshop and we have found that when we leave the roof open outside in the sun, the adjustment can be way off and is too tight. So the bottom line is you may need to adjust the roof to take up these fluctuations.

On the SWB 194 roof there should be rubber studs on the roof which touch the van when closed, the internal Southco lock is adjusted to tighten the roof against the rubber studs, however as there is no metal on metal lock as per the 192 and 190, there should be no rattles.

Rgds

Ian

Eclipse Campers
:thumbsdown::thumbsup:
Thank you, didn’t know about the adjustments possible....will investigate.

Latest update on SCA canvas New canvas has been fitted , little bit of adjustment here n there and now all good, new canvas feels and is a lot thicker and more of a waxy canvas feel compared to old canvas which seemed to be more Cotten and not waxy, can’t thank Ian enough for his input on getting my problem sorted with SCA when my original converter just didn’t want to know. I commend Ian on his expert knowledge of the SCA roof / adjustment and approach to carrying out these works and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend his company and see why SCA have him as an installer of their product , I travelled 362 miles each way to have this work carried out . Many many thanks to Eclipse campers ,now let’s enjoy camper life again without the worry of using it in the rain.

Latest update on SCA canvas New canvas has been fitted , little bit of adjustment here n there and now all good, new canvas feels and is a lot thicker and more of a waxy canvas feel compared to old canvas which seemed to be more Cotten and not waxy, can’t thank Ian enough for his input on getting my problem sorted with SCA when my original converter just didn’t want to know. I commend Ian on his expert knowledge of the SCA roof / adjustment and approach to carrying out these works and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend his company and see why SCA have him as an installer of their product , I travelled 362 miles each way to have this work carried out . Many many thanks to Eclipse campers ,now let’s enjoy camper life again without the worry of using it in the rain.
@1Allroader thanks for the positive feedback. Your previous experience seemed very strange to me personally, but all resolved now. SCA are a good company and will endeavour to resolve any issues with their product. SCA do not recommend carpet lining the internal fibreglass platform and this could potentially prematurely wear the canvas through abrasive action when the roof is down. That said, I have not really heard of this issue, but the canvas is pinched between the roof guide rail and the inner fibreglass platform so it’s logical that it could be a problem. See image where guide is marking the carpet lining. We don’t carpet line this area anyway.

Good luck with this in the future.

Rgds
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

20190722_113150_HDR_resized.jpg

Had my SCA roof fitted on my LWB T5 for 6 yrs now and had thinning of canvas problems for last 4 yrs, contacted supplier and conversion company in Shrewsbury who fitted it over last 4 yrs with no satisfaction from either them or SCA , I firmly believe it is a vibration rubbing issue especially on the LWB model, the thinning is so serious now whenever it rains the water comes through, the roof is probably up 4weeks of the year ie holidays so can’t be wear n tear.sent pictures to SCA and they blame installer for fitting of carpet over roof frame ! Conversion company disagree , I’m stuck with leaky roof as latest excuse is , it’s out of guarantee , it wasn’t when first reported concerns.

View attachment 35951

View attachment 35952

View attachment 35953

View attachment 35954

View attachment 35955

Rolling Homes by any chance? Same useless service they are giving me and mines less than a year old. They will say anything to get out of remedial works, only interested in growing the company. My canvas is tearing through also on the back but think it’s the stainless bracket hitting it.
Did you get a new canvas and how much was it? Did you contact SCA directly? I can’t find details for them.
Carpet hides a multitude of sins they love it, I never wanted it in the roof, reimo keep it clean with grey fibreglass but they insisted on sca.

746EBEC9-6C37-474E-ADDD-39765987AB7D.jpeg

0EC856E5-E603-4D8F-9E14-8594B7F9FD59.jpeg

Well, if SCA sort this properly, it would be very good PR for their product. On the other hand, the conversion company will not fare so well....thank goodness for this forum.
Unfortunately I did not see this before going with Rolling Homes and have the same problems, they simply do not want to know. If it doesn’t make them money they don’t care.

Rolling Homes by any chance? Same useless service they are giving me and mines less than a year old. They will say anything to get out of remedial works, only interested in growing the company. My canvas is tearing through also on the back but think it’s the stainless bracket hitting it.
Did you get a new canvas and how much was it? Did you contact SCA directly? I can’t find details for them.
Carpet hides a multitude of sins they love it, I never wanted it in the roof, reimo keep it clean with grey fibreglass but they insisted on sca.

View attachment 52305

View attachment 52306
Hi, we dealt with SCA directly as we are an approved supplier/fitter and resolved this under warranty.

They do not recommend carpeting the inner fibreglass, see my previous posts.
On your is it definitely looks like something is rubbing the canvas, likely the bracket/hinge. It could be a fitting issue, canvas not tensioned enough, the roof not aligned correctly etc. but hard to say without seeing it. Without naming and shaming on a public forum, can you PM me with details of who fitted, when, serial number of the roof etc and I can approach SCA to see if we can help in any way.
Rgds,

Ian:thumbsup:

Hi, we dealt with SCA directly as we are an approved supplier/fitter and resolved this under warranty.

They do not recommend carpeting the inner fibreglass, see my previous posts.
On your is it definitely looks like something is rubbing the canvas, likely the bracket/hinge. It could be a fitting issue, canvas not tensioned enough, the roof not aligned correctly etc. but hard to say without seeing it. Without naming and shaming on a public forum, can you PM me with details of who fitted, when, serial number of the roof etc and I can approach SCA to see if we can help in any way.
Rgds,

Ian:thumbsup:
Good to see an installer trying to assist a forum member with a problem that was caused by another installer. Well done. Hope the issue gets fixed.

We are picking our 1st van from Rolling Homes next week with the same roof. Ooooo this doesn't give me much confidence in the roof now :( Did you guys got this sorted at the end? Did RH assist at all with the issue, it's always the case with any dealers, nice to you prior to sale once money exchanges they don't want to know.

My roof was adjusted by my hero Ian at Eclipse campers so the bracket doesn’t cause more damage. The canvas has not been changed or tightened, I finally got RH to repair something else just before lockdown but doubt they will tighten the canvas for nothing. I asked banwy if they would do it but said Chris at RH is the best fitter, but I suspect any further works will be overpriced now to recoup their warranty repair costs, or price me out. They wanted payment before I even saw the finished van, so just make sure you have a written invoice with everything and serial numbers for all parts with manufacterurs warranty. Keep a record of all emails, ask what they cover under warranty and keep a record. Good luck and enjoy your van, any more info just ask.

My van is Rolling homes so after reading this I checked my pop top Canvas and have none of these issues just a small tear in the Canvas which higher up is why I searched to see the best way to glue it. My van is 4 1/2 years old now.

Back