SCA194 Fabric Wear

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Not sure which forum to post this...

I have just noticed some wear to the fabric of my SCA194 roof - the roof itself is barely a year old.

The wear is at the rear driver's side. Has anyone else had a similar problem or know the cause? It isn't an area that can be influenced significantly by the raising and lowering of the roof itself - it's right by the side hinges.

Any thoughts grateful received....

IMG_2596.jpg IMG_2597.jpg IMG_2598.jpg

I guess SCA identified a potential issue for them to manufacture the canvas with an extra protection/wear strip. :(

Just been out to have a look at mine - no wear but it does look like there may have been some slight rubbing - I will be keeping an eye on it.

It looks like it is the top part of the scissor lift that is the culprit and any slight misalignment in the hinges or roof would be enough to cause the problem. Similarly, if the roof is not tightly fitted, any lateral roof movement when driving might also cause the rubbing??

Agree with @Ed Webb that the reinforcement panel suggests it's a known issue.

2 year warranty so I'd go back to the people that installed it.

Not sure which forum to post this...

I have just noticed some wear to the fabric of my SCA194 roof - the roof itself is barely a year old.

The wear is at the rear driver's side. Has anyone else had a similar problem or know the cause? It isn't an area that can be influenced significantly by the raising and lowering of the roof itself - it's right by the side hinges.

Any thoughts grateful received....

View attachment 23992 View attachment 23993 View attachment 23994
Looks like a vibration rub. Be worth holding it up a foot when you drop it down to see where/ how the canvas lies as it folds in.

Looks like a vibration rub. Be worth holding it up a foot when you drop it down to see where/ how the canvas lies as it folds in.
I hear you have some prior experience of those ;-)

Having looked at this more closely it appears to be a fitting issue - where the fabric is rubbed the metal frame securing the fabric sits more proud than the rest of the roof.
Of course it could be that the frame was distorted prior to the roof being fitted.
Awaiting a response from the supplier/installer.

Hello,

Did you hear anything back?

I got mine fitted in April and it now showing signs of wear, in the same position.

With the roof down, if you lift the rear seal you can see that the stainless steel right angle brackets that are bonded to the roof are sat on the canvas (ie the roof is sat on the canvas)

My roof sits a bit high on the wear side due to this....

It looks as if the bonded brackets have be bonded incorrectly (to closely together) not allowing clearance for the hinge/bracket to canvas.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

Installer has blamed the supplier. I'm not convinced it's a product issue.
In any event I am having a replacement canvas fitted - likely to be late Sept though. Only cost to me will be the fuel and a day lost (painful - I'm self-employed).

My roof is only been up twice and I have an identical mark in every respect, my photos of this are going to my supplier fitters tomorrow for their inspection, it looks as though SCA may have a problem !...... keep this thread flagged please to see if any others find the same and what is being done about them, thankyou.

In any event I am having a replacement canvas fitted - likely to be late Sept though. Only cost to me will be the fuel and a day lost (painful - I'm self-employed).

I hope that sorts your issue out and doesn't happen again. Good luck

My roof is only been up twice and I have an identical mark in every respect, my photos of this are going to my supplier fitters tomorrow for their inspection, it looks as though SCA may have a problem !...... keep this thread flagged please to see if any others find the same and what is being done about them, thankyou.

Please let us know how you get on. I will try and get some photos up on the forum with the showing the lack of clearance and the bracket sat on the canvas (I will dig out the endoscope)

Hello,

Please see photos taken with the endoscope on the drivers side:-

It shows the bracket/hinge mech sat on the canvas, zero clearance:-

The residue that can be seen is from some fabric tape that was applied over the metal work to try and add the protection.

This looks like a common problem..

I will add some more photos of the canvas wear

Just had another look at my SCA 194 (coming up for 2 years old and well used) and there is no sign of similar - what I thought, when I posted above a couple of months ago, was potentially an indication of rubbing is actually a bit of wax overspray - doh!

I tend to agree that it seems like more of an installation issue but then, getting your canvas replaced, unless they are making some other adjustments, will just mean the problem quickly comes back?

As for the metal work sitting on the canvas (great photos @Barks ); I'm not convinced that on it's own is the problem, i.e. surely there would have to be some flexing and/or movement of the roof for it to rub, suggesting that it may not be fitting and/or closing as tight as it should??

Had my SCA roof fitted on my LWB T5 for 6 yrs now and had thinning of canvas problems for last 4 yrs, contacted supplier and conversion company in Shrewsbury who fitted it over last 4 yrs with no satisfaction from either them or SCA , I firmly believe it is a vibration rubbing issue especially on the LWB model, the thinning is so serious now whenever it rains the water comes through, the roof is probably up 4weeks of the year ie holidays so can’t be wear n tear.sent pictures to SCA and they blame installer for fitting of carpet over roof frame ! Conversion company disagree , I’m stuck with leaky roof as latest excuse is , it’s out of guarantee , it wasn’t when first reported concerns.

1C9DE312-C0C2-49D2-AE59-005BC1C48631.jpeg

4D2AFD4E-8B55-4B46-8A5C-6AF10C435E14.jpeg

32D7B62C-ED13-47B3-A408-CB8CE2CA04DF.jpeg

B2B54A0C-0505-4826-ADFA-7300002157FC.jpeg

582C53FA-FD0E-40B9-9009-318326993D16.jpeg

Had my SCA roof fitted on my LWB T5 for 6 yrs now and had thinning of canvas problems for last 4 yrs, contacted supplier and conversion company in Shrewsbury who fitted it over last 4 yrs with no satisfaction from either them or SCA , I firmly believe it is a vibration rubbing issue especially on the LWB model, the thinning is so serious now whenever it rains the water comes through, the roof is probably up 4weeks of the year ie holidays so can’t be wear n tear.sent pictures to SCA and they blame installer for fitting of carpet over roof frame ! Conversion company disagree , I’m stuck with leaky roof as latest excuse is , it’s out of guarantee , it wasn’t when first reported concerns.

View attachment 35951

View attachment 35952

View attachment 35953

View attachment 35954

View attachment 35955
That sure looks very thin when looking through it in the sunlight.

You can see why they are suggesting it’s the carpet covering causing the issue - either way, the roof would have to be moving about to cause the rubbing which suggests either poor design or fitting - I’d suggest the later.

Back