SCA194 Fabric Wear

You can see why they are suggesting it’s the carpet covering causing the issue - either way, the roof would have to be moving about to cause the rubbing which suggests either poor design or fitting - I’d suggest the later.
Apparently not having any issues with SWB s which suggests to me the LWB must have more movement when travelling,but either way not happy with conversion company or SCA, £4500 for something wearing out as quick ,especially when it’s only used occasionally , wouldn’t spend my money for so called top of the range again.Lets see what trading standards think.!

This is really bad for a premium priced product.
Could slight vibration of nylon (?) based material erode the roof canvas?

This is really bad for a premium priced product.
Could slight vibration of nylon (?) based material erode the roof canvas?
I think anything that is allowed to continually rub via a slight vibration could - issue is why does the roof vibrate - interesting to see if other LWB SCA owners have similar problems to see if it is a design or fitment issue.

Bit of a catch , spoke to conversion company in Shrewsbury who supplied and fitted roof they carpet all their conversions over SCA gel coat frame which I agree looks a better finish to interior of van, explained SCA are blaming carpet finish rubbing against canvas making it thin, SCA say they should leave frame smooth to allow movement on roof when travelling.Conversion Co say they've fitted loads of roofs and of course mine is the only one thinning , blame SCA for faulty canvas. Hence this has been going on for years now and guarantee has ran out!

I know this is a T6 forum and these models are only a few years old but have any members had problems with this roof on their previous vans ?

I know this is a T6 forum and these models are only a few years old but have any members had problems with this roof on their previous vans ?
All comments welcome, regardless of model, especially if it’s things that could affect us in years to come.

Worrying as I have a lwb SCA with a record of god awful rattling, although converter put a rubber gasket around roof which has helped. Mind you, our roads are bloody awful, second only to those in Gloucestershire. Interestingly putting roof bars on has helped, but I am going to watch my canvas very carefully. But rattling suggests something with the roof rather than fitting.

I’d hope the roofs come out of the factory to a standard set of tolerances, so, if one rattles they’d all rattle, but there is less control of how they are fitted, e.g let the apprentice loose with tape measure and/or saw, etc..

I’d hope the roofs come out of the factory to a standard set of tolerances, so, if one rattles they’d all rattle, but there is less control of how they are fitted, e.g let the apprentice loose with tape measure and/or saw, etc..
Fair point, but you don’t seem to hear so many issues with the swb roofs.

Latest news from SCA , could be a fault on actual roof as oppose to canvas,roof has been known to have been manufactured to thick so would squeeze canvas to tight against framework causing canvas to prematurely wear out.They will not do anything until serial number is obtained from dealer / fitter of roof ,I’ve asked for serial number from conversion company in Shrewsbury on a few occasions but still haven’t received it,they have now told SCA they didn’t fit roof even though I’ve the invoice stating they done full conversion including roof and someone else has, the plot thickens and I’ve still got the leaky roof 4 yrs after stating my concerns of thinning material.SCA will hopefully come to some agreement,keep yous posted!

You should be able to easily find the serial number on the roof - there should be a plate with the details (there is on my SCA194).

Sounds like your conversion company is trying to disown you/distance themselves from this. Not good :(

Checked everywhere, conversion company removed it prior to fitting / painting I'm told, I thought a stamp on hinge or somewhere in metal but no, SCA chasing it up now, obviously they want to get my trust and others who are hopefully watching this post back to their product as let's face it , their not the cheapest but apparently one of the best!

Checked everywhere, conversion company removed it prior to fitting / painting I'm told, I thought a stamp on hinge or somewhere in metal but no, SCA chasing it up now, obviously they want to get my trust and others who are hopefully watching this post back to their product as let's face it , their not the cheapest but apparently one of the best!
They come with stickers so, even if no number visible on the actual roof you may have one somewhere - ours is stuck just inside the glove box. Might be worth checking all of the obvious and obscure places in the van plus all of the manuals and documentation that came with the van just incase they have placed the sticker somewhere??

C C admitted they take sticker off , but now they've told told SCA they didn't fit roof so haven't got it.Bit of a mess!

Well, if SCA sort this properly, it would be very good PR for their product. On the other hand, the conversion company will not fare so well....thank goodness for this forum.

I have to admit I’m quite intrigued as there are two major convertors in Shrewsbury and I would have expected better from either of them being big players in the market !

Well another two months have pasted since last conversation with Sandra Petrovic of SCA Roofs and still no advice of what's happening with my thinning canvas,emails not being returned , no phone calls from either conversion company or SCA, my problem with thinning canvas has now gone on for four years and is now out of guarantee so looking like I'm gonna have to buy and get another company to fit new canvas / £900 . Wouldn't recommend the conversion company of Shrewsbury or SCA in any future shows or forums , shocking service.BEWARE !

Hi, the serial number is key for warranty works. The LWB roof is not manufactured in same way as SWB (194) which is why there may be more problems as its more 'hand made'. Your converter should have the paperwork, order comfirmation, delivery note etc so can back track with SCA to locate serial number.
For the record, you have to follow manufacturers instructions for any product or they have a get out clause for warranty.
Rgds
Ian
Eclipse Campers

Well, if SCA sort this properly, it would be very good PR for their product. On the other hand, the conversion company will not fare so well....thank goodness for this forum.
SCA have always been a good and fair supplier for us, one of the best actually alongside RIB. In their defence, and it may not be in this case, they have to cover themselves from incorrect fitting practices/procedures, many are being DIY fitted - sometimes better than the pros.... - but many not, they cant be held responsible for a bad install.
Thanks
Ian
Eclipse Campers

SCA have always been a good and fair supplier for us, one of the best actually alongside RIB. In their defence, and it may not be in this case, they have to cover themselves from incorrect fitting practices/procedures, many are being DIY fitted - sometimes better than the pros.... - but many not, they cant be held responsible for a bad install.
Thanks
Ian
Eclipse Campers
Ian , I've spoke to Sandra of SCA personally on phone explained my problem to her , she came with various possibility's of why the roof has thinned from a manufacturers fault ,ie roof moulding being to thick, carpet over framework causing friction etc, I did feel we were making progress but now back to square one as no emails being replied to , Rolling Homes of Shrewsbury denied fitting the roof even though I have the invoice stating they did , they have not been in touch even though Sandra made them aware ,nobody can help me with serial number for SCA to locate fitting agent.So I'm sure you can see my frustration on this matter, Roof is totally useless in rain as water just p@@@es through it even though it's been proofed.As your aware it's top drawer equipment that carries a premium price but if it carries a flaw I think it's only fair to make other members of various forums aware.

Back