Sanity Check Please - Powering a rear view Dash Camera

Bluesman

T6 Pro
Inspired by another member, I've bought a cheapish camera to record any 'events' at the back (fixed to the rear screen via the usual suction cup type mount). The camera came with a long power cable with a 12V cigarette lighter plug at one end and a Mini USB at the other (which goes into the camera). The only 12V sockets that I've got in the van are permanently live and I don't really want to leave the thing plugged in and drawing power all the time for fear of draining either the starter or leisure battery and so would therefore like to hard wire it so that it comes on automatically with ignition when starting the van. I'm thinking of buying a 5M "floating' 12 V socket and I think I'm happy that I can use a piggy back fuse drawing power from the centre row of the fusebox for 'ignition on' but just need advice on the earth wire. As I see it, I can either take off a piece of trim somewhere and find an earthing point somewhere in the front OR run the black earth cable into the cupboard at the back holding the leisure wiring (and close to the camera) and connect it to the leisure wiring earth bus that all the leisure stuff is earthed on. However my novices question is can I use a live feed from the starter battery fusebox and an earth point in the leisure setup? Sorry if it's a stupid question but the consquences of getting it wrong don't bare thinking about. Thanks in advance.

I'll be keeping an eye on this as I've also got a recording camera in the and in the interests of simplicity decided that I'll just plug it in when I use the van and unplug when not but I've already forgotten to plug it in once! If it's as simple as you propose, I might just do it myself - auto electricians are not easy to find around my way or charge a fortune for even very simple and quick job.

Inspired by another member, I've bought a cheapish camera to record any 'events' at the back (fixed to the rear screen via the usual suction cup type mount). The camera came with a long power cable with a 12V cigarette lighter plug at one end and a Mini USB at the other (which goes into the camera). The only 12V sockets that I've got in the van are permanently live and I don't really want to leave the thing plugged in and drawing power all the time for fear of draining either the starter or leisure battery and so would therefore like to hard wire it so that it comes on automatically with ignition when starting the van. I'm thinking of buying a 5M "floating' 12 V socket and I think I'm happy that I can use a piggy back fuse drawing power from the centre row of the fusebox for 'ignition on' but just need advice on the earth wire. As I see it, I can either take off a piece of trim somewhere and find an earthing point somewhere in the front OR run the black earth cable into the cupboard at the back holding the leisure wiring (and close to the camera) and connect it to the leisure wiring earth bus that all the leisure stuff is earthed on. However my novices question is can I use a live feed from the starter battery fusebox and an earth point in the leisure setup? Sorry if it's a stupid question but the consquences of getting it wrong don't bare thinking about. Thanks in advance.
Yes you can, no issues at all. They are all connected together by the body of the van anyway.

Thanks to @Bluesman for saving me from having to ask what might have been a stupid question and also @Deaky for the reassurance. Can I just ask a couple of supplementaries please:
I'd be looking at using the piggyback on a current 10A fuse with another 10A fuse added to it but wonder whether it's safe to run two cables with 12V sockets from it. That way I could power both the rear dash cam and provide a charging outlet for my Jackery Explorer 1000 when on the move. The camera 12V plug already has a 1A fuse in it but the 12V charging cable for the Jackery doesn''t have any fuse so would I need to add any in-line fuse holder/s? I think the Jackery draws 7.5A when charging.
Rather than using 'crimp' connectors or chocolate block, I was think of using Wago 221 3 gang connectors to put it all together. Is that OK?
Also, I already have a single to double 12V adapter /splitter which, according to the case is rated at 90W (7.5A??) so should I just keep it simple and use that rather than connecting the two sockets to the fuse?
Hope that's all clear - any advice much appreciated as usual.

@Ayjay. I'm sure an expert will chip in soon but if I was in your position (and you're happy to do it from an aesthetic point of view) I would take the simple approach with one socket hard wire to the ignition live and then use the 90W double adapter/splitter which sounds like it can handle the duties of keeping the camera powered and charging the Jackery at the same time, albeit maybe a little bit more slowly than if it had a dedicated charging source. Of course, I might be talking complete drivel in which case I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to correct me. TBH, I wouldn't take my word if I was in your place. That's why we have experts on the forum after all.

Back