Additional USB advice please

RobFlynn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve just been poking about locating the ‘spare’ grommet behind battery (commonly used for leisure battery) and found a cable already there and no grommet . A bit of digging and it turns out to be for the additional USB socket in the back of van. It’s directly onto the battery via a 7.5A fuse. Circuit not apparently controlled by any other circuit (ignition, courtesy lights, etc) as socket seems permanently live. I’d like to keep the socket but having it always on (with an LED lit) isn’t the best idea. What is a better way to wire this up? Will maybe have it off a leisure battery at some point, but for now do I:
Leave it?
Re-wire it better - how?
Pull the wire from the battery and deal with it another day?

On holiday in a few weeks and kids being able to charge in the back will be useful, but I really want to get my amp cable through and would like a grommet in that hole!

Thanks

Ooh, that maybe a decent short term option although I can’t even rely on my kids to close the damn windows! Would make do for now until after the hols. Still leaves me the problem of the cable going into the cabin via a hole without a grommet. I really want to get my amp cable through there and don’t like the idea of the cable rubbing on a metal lip. Could I take the live for the usb off the live for the amp? Reusing the same fuse between amp live and USB? Just the same as coming straight off the battery, right???

Ooh, that maybe a decent short term option although I can’t even rely on my kids to close the damn windows! Would dlmake do for now until after the hols. Still leaves me the problem of the cable going into the cabin via a hole without a grommet. I really want to get my amp cable through there and don’t like the idea of the cable rubbing on a metal lip. Could I take the live for the usb off the live for the amp? Reusing the same fuse between amp live and USB? Just the same as coming straight off the battery, right???
Yes you could.

Watch the latest ‘Urban Ark overland’ on YouTube, he was talking about usb sockets and the ways to stop various cables chaffing on the bodywork,

Back