Rules on van sleeping in car-parks and lay-by’s…

Not done much car park camping in the U.K. but when had a minivan camper in Canada and USA did a lot of stealth camping. We used to prefer residential streets, park alongside fence or high bushes so not visible from houses. Have breakfast / dinner in a local park. Worked really well & a few times when locals twigged they just said hello and we headed off.

I’ve parked overnight in everything from far corners of Asda and Tescos car parks to trading estates. I also prefer to park discretely in a middle class residential street rather than an out of town remote lay-by or wooded area. Too much of an invite for the dodgy characters that turn up in these sorts of places. However what I do mostly nowadays, when it’s time to think about an overnight spot is find a nice pub with a car park. Before ordering any drink I’ll ask the landlord if he minds me parking overnight if I put out no awning or generator and leave early in the morning with no trace I’ve been there. Only once in about six years have I ever been refused. They know I’ll be spending at least £30 as I’ll have a few pints and a meal.

We’ve done about 16k miles over 2 and a bit years camping in our Crafter.

We’ve used campsites for about four nights in total (plus 1 family camp in company with several tents).

We have never been told to move on. But we have been knocked up three times- the earliest was 8am!) by folks who love our van and want to now more about it.

With our blinds down it’s total blackout, just a glow from the two Maxxair fan covers. You can’t tell it’s occupied from outside.

Obviously we don’t put chairs or awning out etc.

We do have simple rules.

We don’t park outside peoples houses

We do usually park about 30 yards into a side road, typically alongside long garden fences each side of the road.

We generally avoid overnighting in car parks (especially gravel ones) too noisy. Midnight lads doing donuts, and courting couples up to 2am and 5am dog walkers.

Finding a level road, non camber road is often the challenge.

Having spoken to long term van lifers, they tend to ignore any no overnight camping signs unless backed up with a legislation reference. One family told me that they’ve only been moved on three times in eleven years!

I’ll only do that if there are other vans parked up too.

Yep it was odd the first time I had a shower in the van parked in a street.

So I’d advise that it’s time to go to Primark and buy some Brave Knickers.

Get yerself out there.

Last edited:
We’ve done about 16k miles over 2 and a bit years camping in our Crafter.

We’ve used campsites for about four nights in total (plus 1 family camp in company with several tents).

We have never been told to move on. But we have been knocked up three times- the earliest was 8am!) by folks who love our van and want to now more about it.

With our blinds down it’s total blackout, just a glow from the two Maxxair fan covers. You can’t tell it’s occupied from outside.

Obviously we don’t put chairs or awning out etc.

We do have simple rules.

We don’t park outside peoples houses

We do usually park about 30 yards into a side road, typically alongside long garden fences each side of the road.

We generally avoid overnighting in car parks (especially gravel ones) too noisy. Midnight lads doing donuts, and courting couples up to 2am and 5am dog walkers.

Finding a level road, non camber road is often the challenge.

Having app ken to long term van lifers, they tend to ignore any no overnight camping signs unless backed up with a legislation reference. One family told me that they’ve only been moved on three times in eleven years!

I’ll only do that if there are other vans parked up too.

Yep it was odd the first time I had a shower in the van parked in a street.

So I’d advise that it’s time to go to Primark and buy some Brave Knickers.

Get yerself out there.
We’ve slept on residential streets in London/various towns in France/Spain/Italy/Austria/Portugal. Be sensible, respectful & sober. If we’re “Stealthing”, always be prepared to move on if the worst happens. That said we’ve never been moved on or disturbed in 5 years.
As @Oldrat says, we ignore “no camping/overnighting” signs unless they state a bylaw or legislation, and penalties for contravention of same.

We spent Sunday night utilising on street
parking on a nice little cobbled street next to a park in the centre of Bergen. Allowed us to go out for dinner and a coupe of drinks.

We spent Sunday night utilising on street
parking on a nice little cobbled street next to a park in the centre of Bergen. Allowed us to go out for dinner and a coupe of drinks.
Two drinks in Bergen costs about the same as a night in a UK campsite.

I slept is Poole Rugby Club car park last night, very peaceful.
There were three young lads getting totally *ankered but not causing any trouble or making a noise. We can all be judgmental but hopefully we can still remember our youth!

I slept is Poole Rugby Club car park last night, very peaceful.
There were three young lads getting totally *ankered but not causing any trouble or making a noise. We can all be judgmental but hopefully we can still remember our youth!

Nicely said. There’s a lot of people around our place that were set in their ways and ”old” by the time they were 30. Hopefully the picture in my attic is still ageing. :whistle:

Not seen anything judgemental on this thread, let alone against The Yoof.

Yep we were all young once…might have been a while back though.

:thumbsup:

Wot he said......in 27 years, never moved one on or knew of a colleague moving one on....
Same - if somebody is sleeping in a van causing no trouble to anybody I'd always got better things to do than bother them, regardless of what any signs said.

I’ve parked overnight in everything from far corners of Asda and Tescos car parks to trading estates. I also prefer to park discretely in a middle class residential street rather than an out of town remote lay-by or wooded area. Too much of an invite for the dodgy characters that turn up in these sorts of places. However what I do mostly nowadays, when it’s time to think about an overnight spot is find a nice pub with a car park. Before ordering any drink I’ll ask the landlord if he minds me parking overnight if I put out no awning or generator and leave early in the morning with no trace I’ve been there. Only once in about six years have I ever been refused. They know I’ll be spending at least £30 as I’ll have a few pints and a meal.
That’s the way to do it!

We use Brit Stops, when we need to. It is great. Never had a problem. we have used Pubs, Garden Centres and an Ice Cream Factory. There are 100s of places to stop all over the country.
I’m a big Britstops fan.

Vineyards are our Britstop favs.
:thumbsup:

Back