Perfect balance: Day car/Camper van

Chrisbad1

Hi, I thought I should share my built, all the way from the southern tip of Africa

When I bought my van (8 seater) early 2021, the criteria was clear - It must be a camper van & it must be a day car. Off the shelf camper vans are not for my liking, too dedicated and stove & sink can never be on the inside. In South Africa we live outside and only sleep inside :cool:

So I've built according to my needs. The 3rd row seats had to go. 5 Seats are more than enough for me. I then constructed a box using 12mm Lite-Wood. Lite-Wood is strong and very light compared to other types of ply-wood. The box comprises of a large storage compartment for all items not needed on a regular basis. A slide-out fridge and a slide-out kitchen with 2 drawers. One for cutlery, kettle, etc. The other for groceries. The aluminum table fits neatly in the front, preventing anything from sliding around. Access lids on the side give access to useful storage space between the van and the box. With the 2nd row seats fold flat. a custom made queen size mattress ensures a good night's sleep in my camper van. With the mattress folded back and the seats up, I have a day car with 5 seats. What more could one ask for?

1640175630464.png
1640175772253.png

1640176558449.png

1640175818118.png

1640175846152.png

1640175893164.png

In the large storage area I carry 2 tents. The one I had to import from he UK - Crowford Easy Camp. This helps keeping the van cool during the warms nights as I can sleep with the tail gate open and still keep rain out of the kitchen.

1640176202669.png

The second is a dome shelter I use when I am staying for more than one day - shade is a must in South Africa.

1640176306770.png

Just completed a 5000km trip through South Africa and all was working very well - No alterations needed :)

5000km? Now that’s a road test for your build. Lovely to hear international contributions on this forum

Indeed, 5000km, and that was just touring the Western Cape Region. Next week I will add another 1000+km visiting a good friend in the northern part of SA.

In SA vans are not nearly as big as in Europe, so hardly anybody local to consult when it comes to these vans. In SA they are mainly either cargo carriers or Mom's Taxis. On the 5000km trip I only met one other T6 camper guy - Ocean 4Motion. And that is why I enjoy this forum so much!

Reactions: CAB
Back