NT Kettlewell car park Lake District

Green Giant

T6 Guru
It’s Started!
National Trust have installed a 1.9m height barrier at Kettlewell car Park to stop vans overnighting.
I think this may happen in more NT car parks if Camper vans keep using them as overnight park ups. It effects not just us transporter drivers wanting to park up during the day, but also visitors who might have bikes, roof box's or canoes etc getting in.
I’ll be honest, I’m getting fed up with all the vans parking where the hell they want, despite the obvious signs it’s not wanted.
Not sure I can lower my van below 1.9plus my canoe...

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
I am tempted to say battery operated angle grinders are available - but destruction of property is against the law and should not even be joked about :slow rofl:

It is always the way that the selfish minority manage to screw things up for the rest of us. The T6 is my only vehicle. It is at least 2m. What happens if I want to go down to to the lake during the day? I suspect this will not be the only Lake District carpark that they plan to do this to.

I ought to take it up with the NT and see if they can explain why it is OK to restrict a law-abiding member from accessing one of the benefits of paying them an increasing amount every year. But doing so will result in my wanting to lose the will to live and them spouting even more woke and politically correct nonsense than they usually do.

Last edited:
It was installed ages ago - covid fall out. The 'No overnight parking' was constantly ignored and there'd be big vans there for days at a time. Parking is at a premium there and there are several campsites within a few miles. It's sad, but not fair that day visitors couldn't park. It's 'their' site, so up to them how they allow people to use it.
NT have been contacted and will say that you can still park there, just not in a van.

Perhaps when signing up for the National Trust they should make it clear they don’t want vans to use there car parks and even stop taking the year subscription
But they won’t do that will they

:tongue bounce:

It was installed ages ago - covid fall out. The 'No overnight parking' was constantly ignored and there'd be big vans there for days at a time. Parking is at a premium there and there are several campsites within a few miles. It's sad, but not fair that day visitors couldn't park. It's 'their' site, so up to them how they allow people to use it.
NT have been contacted and will say that you can still park there, just not in a van.
Yes, last time we went there with the canoes it was clogged with overnight campers and associated debris.

I am tempted to say battery operated angle grinders are available - but destruction of property is against the law and should not even be joked about
Well luckily for the law abiding somebody will remove it and who’s going to catch them, more importantly who’s going to press charges?
The NT is sat on a bank balance of billions in legacies left in wills, but what we all really need is more signs and barriers. I know an ex senior NT manager Health and Safety seems to be priority closely followed by raising more £££££.

RSPB have tended to set barriers at 2.2m, which generally separates campervans from motorhomes/caravans (who are more likely to settle in for a few days). Regrettably, post COVID) RSPB no longer allow overnight parking for campers and small motorhomes.
The last time I spoke to NT about height barriers (a few years back), I was told barriers were mainly used to deter travellers.

I’d imagine the 1.9 height is to stop the medium sized vans getting in, I’m sure the barrier wasn’t there this time last year, it is a shame it’s so low, as many park there to launch kayaks, canoes etc.
Glencoyne NT car park is another popular overnight park up, really hope they don’t barrier this, I drive past this most days, all along the lake road, most lay-bys have some White (stealth, not) vans parked in them, iv even seen a converted single decker bus parked in Clencoyne, having what looked like a bonfire! people seem to be going bigger and bigger with their van conversions

There would appear to be a shortage of campsite spaces around there too, from our experience.
I always notice the huge difference between formal campsites and Aire style parking. The first taking masses of space, the second being not much more than a wider car park slot. Perhaps campsites should offer some Aire style parking (with no camping ‘behaviour’) which would at least double the number of spaces available in that area. Should be able to offer a reduced fee too!
I know that campsites are preparing for a van inferno, yet Aire parking doesn’t consider this an issue. So why not facilitate Aire parking, or would it ‘lower the tone’ too much for the large white boxes?

Reactions: DXX
Back