Motorhome/ camper van debate in the SW

Nickcatt

Architect
Living in the Southwest and listening to the local news there is a debate going on about post lockdown and whether motor homes and campers should be allowed or banned from sleeping in car parks and parking on the seafront etc
So if your V5 says motorhome you may not be able to park and sleep in your vehicle, but a van with windows or indeed any van will technically be allowed. I don’t think the people who are advocating the ban have thought it through :)

Living in the Southwest and listening to the local news there is a debate going on about post lockdown and whether motor homes and campers should be allowed or banned from sleeping in car parks and parking on the seafront etc
So if your V5 says motorhome you may not be able to park and sleep in your vehicle, but a van with windows or indeed any van will technically be allowed.
I don’t think the people who are advocating the ban have thought it through :)
I imagine they’d go with vague signs such as ‘No overnight sleeping in vehicles’ to cover all bases, as who carries their logbook with them?

When wild/stealth camping, the trick has always been to make it impossible for anyone to know you're in the van.

I've slept all over, from the middle of highstreets, to residential roads, pub carparks and on the beach. The more public it is, the more discrete you need to be. I've never been woken up or moved on. Just don't make a nuisance of yourself really.

When wild/stealth camping, the trick has always been to make it impossible for anyone to know you're in the van.

I've slept all over, from the middle of highstreets, to residential roads, pub carparks and on the beach. The more public it is, the more discrete you need to be. I've never been woken up or moved on. Just don't make a nuisance of yourself really.
Same here, it’s all about being invisible, parking under street lighting makes it very hard to detect lights inside the van.
I stayed for days in central Lisbon, often right in the middle of Guarda dog units doing searches of cruise liner passengers.

Back