I've just bought an Alu Cab Gen 3 and Front Runner Rack, should have it all by the end if the month, will let you know.

Will be good to hear how you get on fitting the roof tent.

We have the Front Runner rack and found tightening up the bolts on the (Autohome) roof tent brackets was a challenge due to the narrow gap between the underside of the rack and the van roof. Got there in the end but it wasn't easy. A ratchet ring spanner was very useful. Longer the better.

The Front Runner ladder stops are also really good and stop and sideways sliding of the ladder.

Please post some photos of the Alu-Cab tent once on. It was on my shortlist, until the Autohome tent came up for sale nearer home.

20200721_203139.jpg

We have the Front Runner rack and found tightening up the bolts on the (Autohome) roof tent brackets was a challenge due to the narrow gap between the underside of the rack and the van roof. Got there in the end but it wasn't easy. A ratchet ring spanner was very useful. Longer the better.

The Front Runner ladder stops are also really good and stop and sideways sliding of the ladder.

Please post some photos of the Alu-Cab tent once on. It was on my shortlist, until the Autohome tent came up for sale nearer home.

I'll drop a post in here when it's all done. It will make our van a five berth now with a double bed in the back with the seats folded and the multiflex board, 2 up in the RTT and one across the front seats with a board I've made. It won't fit us all in forever but it will do for a few years until the kids are all a bit bigger.

I did look at other racks which were cheaper but the FR racks seem to be very versatile with all sorts of add ons as time goes by.

View attachment 80880
Yep I agree with fitting our stays on the van roof for the season, pain to take the nuts off

I know it’ll vary depending on model of rack and tent, but roughly what does a setup like this add to the height of the van? Does it take it over 2.1m, which seems to be a common height for a lot of car parks tourist attraction/beauty spot (at least around here)?

I know it’ll vary depending on model of rack and tent, but roughly what does a setup like this add to the height of the van? Does it take it over 2.1m, which seems to be a common height for a lot of car parks tourist attraction/beauty spot (at least around here)?
Looking at the pics above, inc the roof bars it looks like it adds 200mm+ so it’s going to be way above 2.1m

View attachment 80880
The tough time had fixing your box had nothing to do with your huge mits did it now???? Love stumbling across someone you know on here...

The tough time had fixing your box had nothing to do with your huge mits did it now???? Love stumbling across someone you know on here...
Ha ha, yes, I lost some skin trying to get our roof tent on. All healed now but will use an extra long spanner next time. Good luck putting yours on and post some pictures....

Looks an interesting option for not too much money!

Back