Lukavell

DITryer. Sold!
T6 Legend
Hi folks,

Is anybody in to roof top tenting? I'm thinking about it for my Caravelle as a substitute for an awning. If I bought an awning I'd be spending a bit less but the quality of roof top tents seems to be far better than an awning, plus it frees up interior space when travelling.

If there is anybody out there with any experience I'd be very grateful to hear your thoughts please!

Nice one @Ads_Essex . Cheers mate. I did look, honest, apparently not hard enough!
Haha I’m sure you did mate - I’ve missed stuff in the searching before now, especially if the term has been joined or hyphenated. The tags seem to do the trick for linking like-minded threads.

I’ve just found the Insta feed for the one I mentioned - here it is
Beesdevan | InstaGram

It’ll be interesting to hear what and where your research takes you

Cheers for the Intsa thread. I'll put something up in my Caravelle thread when I've made a decision. All I know now is that it's going to cost!

So been thinking about a roof tent and then this popped up on Instagram this morning, which got me thinking a bit harder!
FF6882E7-4168-496A-893A-2096F7834B71.png

Does anyone actually have one and if so how do you rate them?

The roof rack issue confuses me because two people plus tent would exceed the roof bar loadings, I would assume. Do they just run on regular roof racks (I don’t have bars)?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

There are many variations some easier to pack than others. After having folding types like the one in your photo, the last one we had was a pop-up from Autohome.
BA533DFF-7BA3-4DB8-9E16-11FF74BB519B.jpeg753F0A43-3B16-4D4C-8103-119BABC7F331.jpeg

There are many variations some easier to pack than others. After having folding types like the one in your photo, the last one we had was a pop-up from Autohome.
View attachment 80842View attachment 80843
Yup I think the rigid pop top would have been my first choice, but it’s twice the price (at least the tent box variant).

How did you find them though? And what about roof rack; will any do?

Roof rack loading is calculated for a moving vehicle where the load bounces etc. Statically the load can be increased.
we used vw roof bars for the airtop.
For our previous one on the Troopie, we used 4 roof bars.
and on the Discovery, we had a full expedition roof rack with the tent on top.
03A99861-C433-4C5F-AC66-E2F27AA3598B.jpeg

I've just bought an Alu Cab Gen 3 and Front Runner Rack, should have it all by the end if the month, will let you know.

I saw that same post on Insta this morning. I've always liked the look of these fold out ones after seeing one on an old Landy in Sweden a few years back. Doesn't look quite so impressive on a white dropped T6 though, maybe a swamper would be more in keeping. Suspect I'd like the reality less than a full campervan, though saying that I still do some tent camping a couple of times a year.

I saw that same post on Insta this morning. I've always liked the look of these fold out ones after seeing one on an old Landy in Sweden a few years back. Doesn't look quite so impressive on a white dropped T6 though, maybe a swamper would be more in keeping. Suspect I'd like the reality less than a full campervan, though saying that I still do some tent camping a couple of times a year.
I quite liked it! I do tent camping too, and maybe that should remain the thing. Was just looking for a quick and easy solution for an over nighter, and it seems you can put these up super quick etc. Quite like keeping bikes etc in the van so that rules out an internal bed, and don't want to cut a hole in the roof.

But maybe should just stick with the ground mounted tent

Cant remember the make now, I'll check tomorrow it's still on top of the van.
Sits on the roof bars with bolts and clamps
Very easy to unfold and no problems in high winds as we just found out. Big inside and the ladder stays attached when folding away. Seems waterproof enough, built in mattress.
Only thing is finding away. In a car no prob but the van is much higher and wider. I can do it in 15mins on my own with twin doors helping and standing on the tyres. Also I'm 6 ft 4. My 5ft bugger all partner cant do it or help. Iv just bought a small ladder to allow her to help out.

There’s a YouTube channel called something like MCQ bushcraft and he has one on the top of his 4x4 that seems to be quick and easy to pull out.

Like the look of that, but a fair bit over budget i fear!

Its not cheap but I get VAT free purchases with my work for NATO which helps! I also wanted a hard top capable of carrying stuff.

EDIT: I should have said I bought my gear from Tuff-Trek after a recommendation from a friend who has a Landrover 110 ready for the apocalypse! I would highly recommend Dara & Lucy at Tuff-Trek now myself. They are enthusiastic overlanders so know their stuff!

Last edited:
Back