Roof-Spoiler removal

It’s been useful reading through this.

I’m gutted that my spoiler is gonna cause me so much grief. Previous owner only fitted it a few weeks ago.
1) Remove spoiler. PITA. Probably damage tailgate £££. But then VW bike rack is affordable and convenient.
2) Fit tow bar+hitch. Expensive. Buy Thule rack for the hitch. Expensive & awkward.

Dilemma.

Thinking about removing my spoiler to accommodate a bike rack. What’s the best method without damaging the paint work please?

thanks

I've been working on a modification to the OEM spoiler that allows for the bike rack to come on and off the back of the vehicle. Whilst keeping the spoiler in place, and NOT cutting it into three, I'm about two weeks away from being able to share photos of how it's achieved. Fitting the bike rack becomes a two person job rather and a one-man.

I've been working on a modification to the OEM spoiler that allows for the bike rack to come on and off the back of the vehicle. Whilst keeping the spoiler in place, and NOT cutting it into three, I'm about two weeks away from being able to share photos of how it's achieved. Fitting the bike rack becomes a two person job rather and a one-man.
Any updates on this?

Sorry for posting on this old thread, but I can't seem to figure out an answer to how to remove the stock spoiler on my T6 Highline Kombi so I can fit a VW bike rack. There is plenty of mention of bolts being used to hold on the rear spoiler, but where are they, and how can I undo them? The spoiler is definitely not tight on the back of the van, it has some up/down movement.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sorry for posting on this old thread, but I can't seem to figure out an answer to how to remove the stock spoiler on my T6 Highline Kombi so I can fit a VW bike rack. There is plenty of mention of bolts being used to hold on the rear spoiler, but where are they, and how can I undo them? The spoiler is definitely not tight on the back of the van, it has some up/down movement.

barn doors or tailgate?

got a couple of pics inside and out?

Use a detachable towbar bike rack instead, so much less hassle and you can remove very easily when not in use

Use a detachable towbar bike rack instead, so much less hassle and you can remove very easily when not in use
I have one of those, it's awkward though as it needs to be removed to open the tailgate. I could upgrade it to one of those fancy ones that you can pull away from the vehicle. I just really like the idea of the tailgate mounted rack as I use it most weekends.

I have one of those, it's awkward though as it needs to be removed to open the tailgate. I could upgrade it to one of those fancy ones that you can pull away from the vehicle. I just really like the idea of the tailgate mounted rack as I use it most weekends.
We move bikes around a couple of times a week for cycling club and race events. I’ve got a towbar mounted rack for our smaller car and the VW tailgate rack on our van. The simplicity of the tailgate rack and the fact it is ready in literally 2 secs is unbeatable. If you’re using it a few times a year then towbar might be best but for anyone that moves bikes a couple of times a month or more the tailgate rack really is superb.

I don't think you could open the boot with bikes on the bike rack. Both from the weight and also the handlebars will hit the roof.

If you currently have a Thule it's an easy modification to allow it to swing back further so you can open the tailgate.

Also worth noting that the tailgate bike rack does reduce the light coming through the window quite bit.

I don't want to open the tailgate with the bikes, the weight if nothing else would be restrictive. It's the hassle of having to put the towbar rack on every weekend when I go bike racing I am trying to avoid. The tailgate mounted rack can always be there and ready to go at a moments notice, plus from an aesthetic perspective, I think they look cool

Atera Strada towball mounted rack - slides away with bikes in place to allow tailgate to open. You don't have to mess with your spoiler so your van still looks cool, and you still get to see out the back window!:uh run:

I have a towbar bike rack with a tilt feature that takes 4 bikes and a light board that I’m going to put up for sale. With the kids, I’ve put a VW tailgate bike rack on the van , so the towbar one is surplus to requirements now.

If anyone is looking, feel free to PM me and I’ll dig out some details and a few pics!

Back