Roof-Spoiler removal

Lines look much cleaner now with the roof bar and rails. Also, when I finished restoring it I ought to be able to get my new canoe on top a lot easier!

A t5.1 i was looking at had a canoe rack that dropped down the side of the van for easy loading, then slid back up top....

....perhaps you could get one of those, then fit the rear spoiler back on! ;)

Top half down to the straight line that cuts across the top of the number plate. 200 Euro's which was a bit more than I expected to be honest but the bloke has done a very good job.

Last edited:
Arrghh, possible the worst applied adhesive I’ve ever seen.
Personally I can’t see the point of trying to aerodynamically tune a brick anyway.

I think on a lowered van with nothing on top they look good and probably help keep the rear window a bit cleaner but I went down that road with the T5 and fancied a change of tack this time.

Has anyone successfully removed a bonded on tailgate spoiler?
I’m desperate to get mine replaced for a correct t6 one so any tips greatly appreciated

Yes, but it was messy. Mine was bolted on too. Had to go into a paint shop to get the holes filled and painted as well as remove all the bonding which was rock solid!

I’ve done it too and it wasn’t easy. Mine wasn’t bolted, but the adhesive used was very, very difficult to remove. I used heat, heavy duty fishing line and in the end brute force to get the spoiler off. It broke the spoiler getting it off and the tailgate was damaged underneath. It took several hours to remove the remaining adhesive using a number of different products. Some damaged must’ve been there before the spoiler was fitted, but some was caused during removal. I will be having the tailgate sprayed in the future to sort the damage.

Last edited:
My genuine tailgate spoiler is allowing water into the tailgate. It's due to have a replacement under warranty.
VW have implied it will be snapped off in bits to remove. I don't really have much confidence in them tbh but only time will tell what the end result will be.

My genuine tailgate spoiler is allowing water into the tailgate. It's due to have a replacement under warranty.
VW have implied it will be snapped off in bits to remove. I don't really have much confidence in them tbh but only time will tell what the end result will be.
Are they sure it’s the spoiler and not the high level brake light. That’s a known problem.

Are they sure it’s the spoiler and not the high level brake light. That’s a known problem.

I have tried telling them that but they're pretty adamant it's the spoiler fixings.

I won't be surprised if they end up replacing it too over the next few months

hi all
I am trying to have my rear spoiler removed so I can fit a bike rack . can I have some handy tips and advice on this please
I have considered replacing with ABT spoiler afterwards but will see how it looks first
I have contacted Leighton vans where I bought from and they have confirmed it is bonded on

Get some strong dental floss (cotton not the cheap plastic one) and use it to cut it off (same methods as debadging a car) YouTube it.
Pull one end then the other in a sawing fashion. DO NOT pull the thing off to remove it. You could pull the clear lacquer off the van.

Depends how much glue has been used amd application. I've seen some with couple dabs of glue and they pull off with gentle force. Some are on well ams only destroying will remove them. Floss or fishing wire may help to cut as previously said. Some oem spoilers have been screwed on from inside and some have studs so you won't cut through them.

Fit a towbar and bike rack to that.

Here's a recent one we had to take off. You see not much glue or primer so with a bit of force it popped off. Bad workmanship (by others :thumbsdown:) comes in handy sometime.....

20201201_184415~2.jpg

20201201_184440.jpg

20201201_184415.jpg

Cheers
Ian

Have managed to remove the spoiler but the bonding adhesive is still very much there.
is there a product I can use to dissolve/ break it down before scraping off?

Back