Retrofit double-seat

Paul Niven

Hello... I've recently swapped my captains seat for a bench and decided to install the genuine VW heating elements in the bench (Existing captains are installed with factory heaters). Unfortunately when I've plugged everything back in I've found that the new seat doesn't work. The drivers seat still works though and from a bit of research it seems that both heaters are from the same fuse?

I've measured the resistance of both drivers and passengers elements and they seem to be 4 ohm which suggests they're in tack and not damaged. I measured the voltage at the plug between brown and ground at 14.4V when the engine is running. There is a third wire of the plug which I'm not sure what it's for, ground??

I'm at a bit of a loose end??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ?

Could it need a VAGCOM to reset a potential fault?

Thanks Paul

There’s a power pair and a temp sensor return wire to the control unit as factory setup has low/med/high

OK thanks Pauly. Not quite sure how the temp sensor works with it being a single core though? Unless it picks a common up somewhere is the element.

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum but have read a few posts about the subject but mainly the opposite way round.

Basically when I brought the van (T6 Kombi High line 2017; 2 front seats 3 in the rear) I asked for 5 seats as I had 3 children...Basically we now have 4 and to get everyone in I need to change the front seat to a bench from the captain seat.

My first question is are the same fixing holes available as I know the single seat is positioned differently and also how easy isn't to swap over.

I'm also looking for a T6 Simora bench if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I will also have the captains seat in Simora for sale...

Thanks for any help you can give me

Luke

has anyone taken out the passenger captains seat and replaced with a twin cab seat ?
are the floor mounting points the same

cheers

I have not done tis, but as far as I'm aware they are not. You would need to swap mats/carpets and the airbags are different as well.

Yes and no, the double seat uses 8 fixing bolts and the single uses four so you need to add an extra pair of fixing bolts outside the originals, there are already holes in the floor where these go but there are no captive nuts fitted to receive them
You can retain the existing floor but will need to cut holes in it where the extra bolts go

The most important bit is the airbag, you will have a different airbag installed in your dash which is designed for a single occupant and vehicles with factory double seat have a different airbag
I don’t know what the exact difference is between the airbags (I assume it’s the deployed size) but they do have a different part number, the airbag mount in the dash is generic and the same across all T6 dashes and the bag is held in place with four nuts/bolts so can be swapped relatively easily

I have the air bag switched off anyway as I have my kid seat in the front.
on the sketchy scale how sketchy would it be to just use the 4 bolts :whistle:

Just as a temporary solution until do the kombi seats in the back

Personal decision but you know what the pc answer is
A couple adults in that seat will massively increase the stresses under accident conditions so not something anyone would advise

I have the air bag switched off anyway as I have my kid seat in the front.
on the sketchy scale how sketchy would it be to just use the 4 bolts :whistle:

Just as a temporary solution until do the kombi seats in the back
Do you often carry people in that front seat? It’d bolt down with four bolts just fine, but you wouldn’t want to test whether those four bolts would stop your passenger and seat continuing forward in the event of a front-end collision :eek:

A double seat is pretty worthless but a single captains commands a hefty price, if you are going to do it the same things apply both ways
There’s always the option of finding someone going the other way (and there are plenty) and seeing if you can do a complete swap ie seat/airbag/floor and you both end up with a decent job and even a bit of cash your way

Im planning on putting the captains seat back in once the kombi conversion is done, just not managed to sort this out before we go away this easter.
4 bolt gamble has be safer than putting the mrs in the back on a garden chair right ?

Im planning on putting the captains seat back in once the kombi conversion is done, just not managed to sort this out before we go away this easter.
4 bolt gamble has be safer than putting the mrs in the back on a garden chair right ?
Now you put it like that.. yes :laugh:

As Pauley says you already know the answer, however as someone who has and still does some incident investigation I personally would not as we regularly see the results of "It'll be ok this One time".

The 4 bolts might hold a single seat but where are they in relation to the dual seat, are they going to be subject to forces that they are not designed to handle (in the event of a collision)????

Even if you don't like your wife and kid, you really don't want to be sat in a confined space with 100kg plus of unsecured moving object bouncing around. Do it properly or don't do it at all.

Apologies for appearing to put a dampener on your plan but you have to apply the risk versus consequences equation and then make your decision and in this instance I really don't think the numbers add up.

Hi all,

is anyone interested in a swap including air bags etc for my simora single captains seat for a your double bench?
Seat has come from a 2015 T32 with 20k Miles so seat is near enough new.

Hi all,

is anyone interested in a swap including air bags etc for my simora single captains seat for a your double bench?
Seat has come from a 2015 T32 with 20k Miles so seat is near enough new.

You would probably be better off selling yours and just picking up a cheap bench seat.

The single is more desirable personally.

Back