Restoring swivel-seat heating option.

Old Jabez

Hello gang. I’m slowly getting to grips with my new t6.1and the help from this forum has been nothing short of wonderful. The good lady and myself are already sorting our personal tweaks as we embrace this part of our retirement adventure.
But . . . I’m on a mission to reinstate the heated seat function to my double swivel seat. The heater element membrane has been included in the reupholstered unit and the loom is just hanging loose on the underside. I get it, that the current arrangement could not sustain the heated option.
My plan, however, would be to provide a plug-in, plug-out loom option - perhaps using a XLR microphone PA system male/female adaption arrangement. These robust connectors can be found with a 90degree option, ideal I suspect for my use. I note this has been ‘on the table’ with others here, but was it ever successfully completed? Any feedback?
Also, I’m at a loss to see where the terminated loom is hiding ? Ideas please. So grateful to be part of this community. Thanks.

Was the seat originally working before it was reupholstered? And all the controls are in place on the dash?

XLRs would be a bad idea here, they will not have the current carrying capacity - they're 15 amps and most heating is nearer 30 amps - they're also quite bulky.

If the conversion has been done tidily I would expect the van side connector to be taped back into the loom - if you have equipment under the seat that might have been tucked under the flooring to give space.

Thanks for your input. Yes, all working before conversion. Switches still in place. Both light up, so there’s obviously a power feed in. Never realised the power draw would be so high. Will try to source some more suitable connectors. Intend to strip out the swivel/ slide mechanism this weekend and have a good poke around. Will update. Seat upholstered with heater element in place.

Best plan would be to get the part number off the existing connectors and build a suitably sized extension to reconnect (if distance now you swivel is the issue)

You could always add some conduit at the same time to give it some abrasion/twist resistance?

Like this:

Back