Retrofitting powered Tailgate

Thats interesting i hadnt considered this, just had a look on etka and all standard tailgate part numbers begin 7E0 but all electric tailgate part numbers begin 7E5
The three electric ones i can see are :
7E5827025C
7E5827025F
7E5827025G
You are right @Pauly these ones are for the electric tailgate
Zrzut ekranu z 2018-11-25 21-32-39.png
but in this case there is only need for making some cut outs.

Basically THERE IS NO NEED TO CHANGE THE TAILGATE for the purpose of this retrofit!

So @andys you are in again!;)

Ok.....have you done yours then?

And you are wrong.

Let me know when you fit yours and go to close it!

When I did mine I remade the brackets to tuck the rams into the body more. Then had to tap the tailgate a mm but they still cause the tailgate to not close.

I looked at a new T6 and they are diferant.

So basically you can do it like me but it’s not great. Otherwise new tailgate time.

I’ve got some pics some where.

Now that’s a gauntlet laid before you, quite fancy this myself so hoping it works without a new tailgate as that’s a show stopper for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is a picture of the power tailgate cut-out. You will see the stop is slightly different and there is a large cut out area for the ram to sit.

Hope this helps.

upload_2018-11-26_8-9-56.png

That looks exactly the same as the switch on the tailgate.

Yes it does, but the one I bought has a symbol of the van with open tailgate instead.

• Love
Reactions: mmi
I have notice that on my tailgate switch . Its not right, its a van with a tailgate, not a car ! o_O

20180131_131330.jpg

And you are wrong.
When I did mine I remade the brackets to tuck the rams into the body more. Then had to tap the tailgate a mm but they still cause the tailgate to not close.
So basically you can do it like me but it’s not great.
I would never accuse anybody of being wrong and at the same time proved that I am incompetent;)

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
What was the outcome of the tailgate, replace or modify ?

What was the outcome of the tailgate, replace or modify ?
I am not going to replace the tailgate as this is not a must. Tailgate modification should also be avoidable as I am exploring number of options now.

When you going to do the hard bit @Robert ;)

I am away for another 3 weeks so I hope to be back in business then.

Lads please don't worry, as I will share with all of my experience (part list, cost, ect.);)

Happy Christmas in the mean time to all of you!

Tailgate is much easier than side doors as all wiring is contained within the rear of the van so you only need to remove rear roof panel and rear side panel and everything is accessible

I am not going to replace the tailgate as this is not a must. Tailgate modification should also be avoidable as I am exploring number of options now.

I am away for another 3 weeks so I hope to be back in business then.
Any update on this @Robert did you get it finished ?

Back