V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The requirement for police to be able to determine camper van status in moving traffic is bill hooks and bollards.
Agreed.
My Crafter is fully converted.

I sent off proof of my 32 yrs police service, mostly traffic, along with a covering letter saying in my humble opinion, there’s no way that any copper could not think my van was not a camper.

And it still came back VWW.

Go figure.

0B28BC25-9512-4CE2-8CE3-840F56BED341.jpegF70CCB5F-44D2-4F3B-BF2E-454BC375D057.jpeg6286E31C-DE10-4F1F-BFCF-62424DB99E1F.jpeg

5382B9FC-E5B3-4ABB-AB92-96EEAE250680.jpeg

The DVLA's justification for refusing to reclassify converted vans as motor caravans is that "...the Police [and other authorities] need to be able identify a vehicle's type by how it visually presents on the road, in traffic".

This justification, however, is demonstrably false. Take a VW California - this is classified as a motor caravan- yet the DVLA would still refuse to reclassify a converted van even if it were visually indistinguishable from a California.

So, why the lies and what's the real reason for refusing to reclassify?

How do you work this out then?

These are picked from recent threads and I've assumed the information to be correct. The owners can confirm if they wish. Notably the conversions seem to be by the same company and the GC680 always a Motor Caravan.

View attachment 180408
View attachment 180409
View attachment 180415
If we accept that the internals of all three vans meet the DVLA's published criteria for consideration as a motor caravan (i.e. sink, bed, cooking facilities, etc.), then there's obvious inconsistency of decision-making between the first two vans. I also note that, due to the absence of 'motorhome graphics', the GC680 itself doesn't meet those same criteria.

Such irrational and contradictory decisions often arise when rules are introduced without recourse to or consideration of the existing legislative framework. In legal parlance, this is known as an arbitrary decision and, as such, is challengeable by judicial review. However, judicial reviews can be very expensive, so who on here would be willing to contribute to a Go Fund Me page set up to fund such a review?

I thought some retired barrister and her husband were doing just that after they spent a fortune converting to meet DVLA advertised requirements and then getting a Van with Windows result.

I thought some retired barrister and her husband were doing just that after they spent a fortune converting to meet DVLA advertised requirements and then getting a Van with Windows result.
Believe they went down the route of complaining to the PHSO - a government-appointed ombudsman - who criticised the DVLA and made a number recommendations. However, the recommendations are neither legally binding, nor do they relate to the rules the DVLA have implemented - rather they relate to how the DVLA communicates those rules to the public.

A judicial review has the power to compel the DVLA to rethink the rules.

Would it be worth starting a petition to circulate nationwide and then forward this to ombudsman/ DVLA? With enough signatures and current cases, there should be enough to get a motion going? Thoughts?

Would it be worth starting a petition to circulate nationwide and then forward this to ombudsman/ DVLA? With enough signatures and current cases, there should be enough to get a motion going? Thoughts?
Is it worth it? As has already been said many times, what the van is classified as on the V5 is largely irrelevant. If it fulfils the legal criteria for a “motor Caravan” then it’s a motor Caravan end of story. People are getting their thongs in a twist over nothing. Ok, the occasional pedantic campsite might not let you on, so what, go somewhere else. Eurotunnel might give you a hard time, but I can assure you that DFDS ferries won’t, and they’re cheaper and a better experience imho. The actual problems caused by the DVLA incompetence are negligible & honestly not worth bothering about. Life’s too short, enjoy your “Van with windows” as if it’s a “motor Caravan” and move on….literally.

Is it worth it? As has already been said many times, what the van is classified as on the V5 is largely irrelevant. If it fulfils the legal criteria for a “motor Caravan” then it’s a motor Caravan end of story. People are getting their thongs in a twist over nothing. Ok, the occasional pedantic campsite might not let you on, so what, go somewhere else. Eurotunnel might give you a hard time, but I can assure you that DFDS ferries won’t, and they’re cheaper and a better experience imho. The actual problems caused by the DVLA incompetence are negligible & honestly not worth bothering about. Life’s too short, enjoy your “Van with windows” as if it’s a “motor Caravan” and move on….literally.
I agree to an extent, but it isn't healthy to have public bodies acting without accountability. Unintended consequences and inconsistency of outcome arise from arbitrary and capricious decision-making, and, whilst the consequences in this case are minor, that won't necessarily be the case next time.

I agree to an extent, but it isn't healthy to have public bodies acting without accountability. Unintended consequences and inconsistency of outcome arise from arbitrary and capricious decision-making, and, whilst the consequences in this case are minor, that won't necessarily be the case next time.
Absolutely agree, it’s not just the DVLA, add HMRC/NHS/Border Force on to the list too. But let’s keep our powder dry until something that really matters hits the fan. The V5 issue is such a small problem & will affect only a tiny number of people, that it’s unlikely to attract any major attention, sympathy or traction. Pick the battles worth fighting for and hopefully win. Obviously this is just my take on things.

I think maybe I get charged more on the dartford tunnel and maybe get a ticket for using the black wall tunnel (haven’t tried and I don’t know if motor caravan are exempt from the rules there) but I have no issues at eurotunnel or anything else with the van with windows classification (yet!).

I’m not intending to sell and even if I did I wouldn’t expect this to impact the resale value for the same reasons.

I did think the original change was something to do with aligning with European regs but I don’t know why and implement in this way surely doesn’t help that even if it was the case

Only raising that as I have been done for ‘speeding’ since my van is still classed as a Light Goods Vehicle… (although it is been legally converted)
Such a grey area ‍
Read through the (interminable) thread. If your van legally meets the criteria for a motor Caravan & you get a ticket for exceeding the van speed limit, appeal, take it to court, you’ll win. The precedent has already been set & tested in court. This is actually a more realistic way of applying pressure to the DVLA, than any petition. If enough cases of mistaken identity go to court, the legal system will apply pressure to the DVLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back