Rear quarter windows to match Kombi sliding windows

That is what I would have expected, but it certainly appears to be a film - it is also considerably darker than your appear Martin.
Think yours will be a film - it would have originally been a green tint as the above photo

Think yours will be a film - it would have originally been a green tint as the above photo

Ah, OK. I presume the previous owner must have added a darker tint. I'll need to take the van in to a good autoglass supplier and see if they can match the new windows. Thanks

:thumbsup: Yes, sounds exactly like mine when I bought it
Most decent tint places should be able to match it up

Hello yes @Slask mine are factory highline windows which are the darker green privacy tinted windows. I used genuine vw rear quarters to get the same tint. There are threads on here that have all the genuine vw part numbers etc for the glass if you need them although if your sliders have already been tinted then maybe thats no good to you?

Hello yes @Slask mine are factory highline windows which are the darker green privacy tinted windows. I used genuine vw rear quarters to get the same tint. There are threads on here that have all the genuine vw part numbers etc for the glass if you need them although if your sliders have already been tinted then maybe thats no good to you?
Hi Martin. Yes, I wasn't aware before buying the van that an additional tint had been put on all the passenger area windows. I'm guessing that it's way too much trouble to remove the tint film, leaving just the original VW tinted glass, but I really think they are a bit too dark as they are. I suppose I might get used to them. It's about 6 months until the van conversion, so I've at least got some time to explore all the options. Many thanks

If you fit the genuine glass, and then a good tinter will be able to match the tint no problem.

I did this and bought OEM VW glass which was fitted by Jerba Campers. It was the only way to match the VW green tint. Very happy with it. There is a small detail to watch out for though. Kombi’s have a rubber trim strip at the back edge of the front side window. On full glass Caravelles or similar there is no trim strip and the glass looks flush. There is also a black strip on the back edge of the rear window making it look neater closed. I think it came with the OEM glass but might not.
So if you get OEM rears ask the installer to make sure the gap is the right width and fit the rear closing strip.
I removed the Kombi strip on the front panel so it looks OEM. I also trimmed the chassis behind the window glass with black vinyl so my Silver didn’t show in the gap. Sure that sounds more complicated than it is!

Getting a quote to have my lwb kombi fitted with the rear quarter glass and tinted to match the middle windows

Been asked if I want genuine VW glass or a non OEM version

Any top tips?

Hello @Strettyp .We used genuine ones because we thought that we stood a better chance of them matching the middle ones and they do. They should not need to be tinted to match them though,they should come ready tinted the same colour. There is two different colours,green tint and green privacy tint. If its a Highline it will be the green privacy tint i think. That is if you havnt already tinted your middle windows of course!

Ok thank you - I'd prefer to go OEM to be frank but I'm getting a dark tint added to the middle windows and want it to look as sleek as possible

Any ideas what I should pay for the glass if i want to supply it?

That's mine with a dark tint on
The oem glass came with a green tint so I went to a window tint shop and got them to match to the middle windows
I think I paid around £280 for the glass & fitting.....that's with the cut outs - not dummy glass

20201201_124732.jpg

Last edited:
That was it the day after I had the windows fitted - but before I had them tinted
You can just see through the rear quarters as they just had the oem green tint - compared to the middle glass, which was dark tint

The other good point about the oem glass is that it comes with a trim that fits between the middle & rear glass to stop the body colour showing through the gap between the panes

20201013_091944.jpg

Last edited:
Ok - guy I've lined up to do the work is quoting £180 Inc vat for the glass (each so £360 in total) from exploria

He's happy for me to get my own glass, I want OEM ideally but finding that online seems like a right arse

anyone know where I can get the OEM stuff online?

I think most people get from here -

That fitting cost sounds expensive, I know Exploria have a great rep, but that is really top end money for fitting.

VW Bi-Design did mine for £280 supplied & fitted
They're in Chesterfield so not a million miles from you

Last edited:
Back