Punctures With 20" Alloys And No Spare Wheel :-(

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I probably a daft thing to ask but I was thinking what would i do if we were on our way for a nice break in the camper and we get a puncture on route ?
When I bought the our campervan it already had 20" alloys on it and the spare is just the standard 16 or is it 17 ? so basically the spare is of no use and i've taken off the van. What do other owners do who are in a similar position to me ( ie no spare wheel ) if they get a puncture ? is it simply a case of ring up the breakdown company for assistance or does anyone use that "tyre weld type stuff " and if so is it any good ?

You can use a 17 or 16 spare for short emergency journies to a tyre garage.

I'll will give the front diff a good workout if it's on the front.

No issues being on the rear.

4motions are a bit different and need looking into.

're puctures, we use a 12v pump and those tyre repair strings.... plus a spare JIC.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Everyday is a school day , i didnt realise the spare would be ok to run . :thumbsup:

It's just like cars with those space saver small spare wheels...

They are always much smaller than the factory alloy.

Just follow the guidelines....

Don't drive fast and drive straight to a tyre repair shop.

I've got 20" on my Evoque and that doesn't have a spare just the weld/foam stuff.

I've had a couple of punctured in the last 2 years, some I could limp on a nearly-flat to a tyre centre for a plug to be fitted. Another time, I had a complete flat and used the weld. This helped me enough to get it fixed - the tyre man wasn't 100% happy at cleaning the inside to plug it (I think he had already done a few that day).

It's worth bearing in mind that anything other than a "normal" puncture the weld won't work, so any slashes/tears will leave you stranded. Agree that even a smaller rim will help in an emergency (maybe swap front to back as well) or look at investing in a suitable sized (cheap) spare if it fits in the spare wheel bay.

I have 20” and ran with the stand spare to the tyre shop, the only issues was that the bolts that came with the allows had smaller head than standard bolts so could not tighten them up as far I wanted on the standard steel spare, now I carry spare set of standard bolts - oh and I bought an extendable wheel brace as cracking the nuts was a blood vessel bursting with standard wheel brace.

I run 20s and my spare is a steel 16 but the circumference is within 5% of each other so it doesn’t matter. Offer your spare up to one of your wheels and you should find that they are about the same overall size (tyres obviously different side wall heights). If they are not the same size your speedo will be out

Im touching wood in the hope of not getting a puncture but going to be ordering some 'strings' by the sounds of it.
In the absunce of the previous thread is there a brand that I should be looking for @Dellmassive @Loz

In Bert ready.
Thanks.
Totally missed the tag dude . . . . . i think some things were amiss back then, and i wasn't getting any tag notifications . . . . . . Glad your sorted and its onboard =]

This was my van 1 week after collecting it! Parked at the pub, turned to watch the indicators flash to ensure it was locked and noticed the rear tyre was flat!

Luckily, @CamperKing had provided a new wheel brace to remove the alloy and the original wheel bolts were in the glovebox.

Tyre and wheel looked really odd but did enough to get me home and to the tyre shop the next day. The worst thing was seeing the eye watering price for a replacement 275/40/20 :eek:

1BDB25D1-1D3E-46B7-954E-841E35AFB82D.jpeg

This was my van 1 week after collecting it! Parked at the pub, turned to watch the indicators flash to ensure it was locked and noticed the rear tyre was flat!

Luckily, @CamperKing had provided a new wheel brace to remove the alloy and the original wheel bolts were in the glovebox.

Tyre and wheel looked really odd but did enough to get me home and to the tyre shop the next day. The worst thing was seeing the eye watering price for a replacement 275/40/20 :eek: Hi Rich, I have a T6 camperking van also try TYRELEADER .CO .UK
Jinyu Gallapro YU63 are £65.82 each
Also be aware of the speed difference with 20" wheel as camperking as NOT altered the speedo .
View attachment 44816

Hi Rich, I have a T6 camperking van also try TYERLEADER.CO.UK Jinyu Gallapro Y U63 are £65.82 each,
Also be aware of the speed difference with 20" wheels as camperking have NOT altered the speedo to suit the size change.

Hi Rich, I have a T6 camperking van also try TYERLEADER.CO.UK Jinyu Gallapro Y U63 are £65.82 each,
Also be aware of the speed difference with 20" wheels as camperking have NOT altered the speedo to suit the size change.
Thanks for that. Out of interest, what difference do they make to the speedo? Does it read higher or lower?

Back