Puff the magic wagon

So bought an ex RAC van on Tuesday with the plan of converting it into a camper for trips away with the wife, two young kids and a dog! After getting it home we started on the not so fun job of trying to get all the racking out of the back! Wow I didn't realise that would be such an issue but after some help from the wife and a child, we have finally got somewhere! I have made a start on the wiring removal, but does anyone know what the door switches are for? I don't want to go removing them if they are important!
It has a reversing camera fitted but so far haven't managed to work out if I can rewire that again! Anyone else with an RAC van managed it?
Pictures so far: View attachment 193629
View attachment 193630
View attachment 193631
View attachment 193636
Also ordered a few parts that hopefully will be here next week, new centre vents as the left one is missing from where it must have had a tablet or something and the part to fix the known blower issue!
Next job sound deadening, insulation and some windows!
Hi, I'm doing the same thing as you at the moment, did you ever get the reversing camera to work? Cheers.

No they cut the cables when it was decommissioned so I ended up going to Chris @Dav-Tec who fitted a new headunit and reversing camera.

Decided to tackle the solar panel fitting today. Was a bloody nightmare! I decided to fit some vinyl first to help in the removal in the future. That stuff is the work of the devil, i thought it would be better to fit one full sheet slightly bigger than some strips just under where I was planning to stick it down. Anyways i made a right pigs ear of it but most of it is covered by the panel so isn't too bad. Vinyl sheet looking lovely before sticking down:
IMG_20230709_101129.jpg
Then once me and the wife managed to finally stick it down in some fashion we thought we would stick the panel down. We marked out where we were going to put it and then I started on the sika 252, unfortunately my caulking gun then stopped working! Cue panic and me running around the street trying to find a neighbour with one I could borrow before the sika I had put down already started to go off!! Anyway eventually sorted and stuck down! Hopefully it stays there and I have done a good enough job!!
IMG_20230709_164248.jpg
IMG_20230709_164251.jpg
Going to trim the vinyl down tomorrow hopefully so it will look a bit better

So I have spent the last few days starting my electrics. It's only temporary at the moment until my kitchen goes in but I wanted to make a start and figure out how things worked etc.
Just managed to get the solar working:
IMG_20230714_201956.jpg
But I have decided that I wasn't happy running the DC-DC from the OEM cable and adding more on after so I ended up stripping the front out in the rain to run a cable from the battery:

IMG_20230714_202144.jpg
Everything else piled behind:
IMG_20230714_202135.jpg
So a bit of a pain but I am happier now it's less likely to melt the cable and I can get seats back in next week when the kids are back at school.
Now we just need to decide on kitchen cabinet colour. Originally we were having black but now the fitter has suggested a sort of carbon fibre grey so now I don't know which to go for!! Thoughts?

Last edited:
So all current electrics are now wired up and working, my sink and hob have arrived, just waiting on the fridge now which should hopefully be next week, Vanshades hopefully around the same time, then it's kitchen time.
IMG-20230723-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20230723-WA0001.jpg

Vanshades finally arrived on Monday, good job as I ordered the splashback and the kitchen is being fitted tomorrow! Fitted the one on the sliding door earlier, really quick job, only took about 5 minutes!
IMG_20230808_160933.jpg

Spent the last few days hoping and praying I have drilled holes in ok places for drop vents, plumbing in my sink and gas and sorting out my wiring, the wiring isn't the tidiest but I have a deadline of next weekend when we go away so it will do for now!
IMG_20230812_173923.jpg
IMG-20230812-WA0003.jpeg
One child checking I am working hard:
IMG_20230812_184438.jpg
Last few things to do before the deadline:
find some gas,
table to put in,
kitchen to be finished,
Wheels and tyres on!

Great work man! It's crazy how the headlights, rims/tires and bit of spraying the vw emblems changes the look completely.
If you don't mind me asking, what rim/tire combo and what headlights (I assume LED) did you go with?

cheers

Great work man! It's crazy how the headlights, rims/tires and bit of spraying the vw emblems changes the look completely.
If you don't mind me asking, what rim/tire combo and what headlights (I assume LED) did you go with?

cheers
The wheels are Fuel zephyr with Falken Wildpeak tyres. The headlights are transporter hq v3 all black.

Picked the van up today from the body shop. It's been in since last Monday having all the damage fixed from when I bought it. So scratch in the passenger door, dent in sliding door,damage to sill and wheel arch and rust spots and dent in tailgate. Before of the damage to the sill:
IMG_20230405_193929.jpg
And after:
IMG_20231011_104117.jpg
They have done a great job, wasn't hopeful with the damage to the sill but it looks great!

Picked the van up today from the body shop. It's been in since last Monday having all the damage fixed from when I bought it. So scratch in the passenger door, dent in sliding door,damage to sill and wheel arch and rust spots and dent in tailgate. Before of the damage to the sill:
View attachment 216648
And after:
View attachment 216649
They have done a great job, wasn't hopeful with the damage to the sill but it looks great!
Which body shop did you use @Toffermora?

Back