Power Upgrade

Mark Howkins

T6 Pro
Keen to look at pushing up the power output of a T6 180 DSG 4 Motion but want to be able to remove any evidence in case of warranty issues.

What's the best option?

They wont know, not sure theres any real way of telling, my dealer told me to do it if i wanted to but warned me if they plug there computer in during a service it will reset the map to factory

if its like the audi one it flags up that something has been fitted even if it has been removed.

yep,I've never used one before but have read that it brings up a flag to say something has been added.If they want to look into it deeper than can probably see that things have been running faster and hotter than normal if it came to a warranty claim. no expert only what I've read. Surprised you need anymore power my 140pulls really well even when fully loaded.

I don't necessarily need more power, better fuel consumption is also an advertised benefit. The extra power is always nice though.

I currently have a T5 174 2.5 Manual that was mapped +7 yrs ago, it pulls like a train....much more than the T6 180 2.0 DSG.

I am going through the same thing with my Audi at the moment which definitely adds a write cycle flag when the ecu is written to, some software is able to remove that flag but most tuners aren't aware/aren't capable of doing so. I bought a replacement ecu from ebay which would get around the issue, 10 miutes to swap and return the car to stock but at the moment I'm struggling to get someone who can copy the immobilser fromm the old to the new ECU.

The only way around it is a chip tuning box which used to justifidly have a bad reputation, hoever the new generation ones such as those available from DTUK are far more advanced. My brother just added one to his new company car at around 1000 miles old, we did a before and after run on a rolling road and it genuinly added the 40bhp promised to his original 140 and a road test showed a much improved drive and seems like better economy but its only done 2000 miles now so very early days.
How well they work on the Euro6 engines though? DTUK do a moeny back guarantee so not much to lose and a £45 rolling road run would confirm the claims or not.

I have tried a couple of plug in boxes in the past and the experience was not good, my understanding of them is that they simply plug in somewhere between the engine and the ECU to fool the vehicle into thinking something is different.
The one i tried went on the end of the common rail and told the ECU the fuel pressure was lower than it actually was causing the ECU to tell the injectors to open for longer therefore delivering more fuel and increasing power.
Dont get me wrong it worked the van was definately faster but ran rough and made the engine noisier, it reported better fuel economy to but was a false reading as the engine thought it was using less fuel than it actually was due to the misrepresented fuel rail pressure.
The ones i have used were at the lower end of the price scale so its totally feasible there are better more refined units out there that work in a different way and this may well be one of those but from my understandings and experience i would never use one again - in fact i would even plug it in if someone gave it to me for free, but thats just my POV
I say if your going to do it, do it right and get a proper map done

It was more of put it out there as is popped up on my news feed than actually buy but I was still interested in people's thoughts but I agree remap is the way to go but a little apprehensive because of people saying it leaves a foot print when removed and therefore it may cause an issue with warranty.

So if looking at a re-map, who do you go for. Looking at the transporters for ages before I got one, I would have gone Pendle. But then I read about ADS Preston, and they use Rev which sounds really good, then you have Customvanz which sounds good too.

I personally use Pendle. Martin can come across as rude and direct on the phone but I got him to remap my van after a generic cheap flash map that eventually destroyed my gearbox.
I drove to him and he's actually a great guy. Very passionate, knows what's he does very well.

He will map my t6 once euro 6maps have been developed. I use an agent though this time as it's a 3 hour drive to pendle town.

Reactions: Ade
Quantum are showing remaps for euro6's on their website.204bhp to 230bhp, 500NM

Find Your Vehicle Potential - Quantum Tuning
type=Van&make=Volkswagen&range=Caravelle&model=Caravelle%20-%202.0%20TDI%20-%20204-BHP

The increase is only around 12% on power and torque, so quite mild. I spoke to them asking why only 12%? They would need to slightly modify a pipe (or something) to get more, so it is more than a power upgrade.
Actually they said the 204 is the same engine used in the Passat 240, which is mappable to 300bhp.
Infact a german company "BB" Willkommen bei B&B Automobiltechnik - Ihr Tuner für VW & Audi Fahrzeuge take it to 275 without much trouble, but what a price??:(

Lots of options, but the 204 is lovely just as it is. My days of hybrid turbo etc etc are behind me. Turning into an old gito_Oo_O

Second vote for Martin at Pendle here. He can also supply you a wee touch screen tuning box "pendle pro 5" with your custom map, original map and as an added bonus a security map ( doesn't allow the van to start even when using the key). It's completely untraceable as it resets the flash count when you change maps. Martin has been tuning for 27yrs or so, really really knows what he's doing. Well worth a visit :)

Really interested in this, looking at customvanz remap which says it can go to 205 from a 140 ?
Is that feasible , could they tweak the engine that much ?
Never had a remap so new to this side of things, but must admit would like the extra ooomph :thumbsup:

Ignore customz power figures. They are quoting power figure 25-30 hp more than what's within the safe boost limits of the turbo and injectors.
You'll get 180 from a 140 and 200-210 from a 180. 220 with allot of smoke Max.

Thanks @RattyMcClelland , so why are they doing so many vans with it , or are they not getting the figures they're stating, and forgive my complete ignorance, is that the difference with the different hp from VW , bigger turbo and injectors or is it the same but just tweaked ?

No it's custom vanz over inflating their figures but 25-30 hp.

The Euro 5 84/102/140 engines are all identical. All will remap to around 178bhp and 295lbft safely.
However the limiting factor is the gearbox. 5 speed gearbox can only handle about 250lbft and that has to peak around 2800rpm. The 6 speed boxes can handle all the torque in the world and that can peak as early as 2000rpm.
The 180 is different.

It's the same situation with the Euro 6 engines too.

Get a pendle remap. You should see 140bhp 250lbft to 178bhp 295lbft quite safely.

Back