Portable Solar Panel

chappers0987

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Bluetti AC200Max Portable Power Station and I’m looking to pair it with some equally portable solar panel or panels.

I’m very much a novice when it comes to anything electrical hence I was hoping you might be able recommend me some good options.

I was hoping to spend no more than £250-£350, hoping to get the biggest wattage I could. They need to be compatible out the box with AC200 to an extent. Happy to buy additional cables etc.

I’d not heard very good things about the Bluetti portable solar panels hence looking at alternatives.

Appreciate the assistance.

Renogy 220 watt Portable Solar Panel for Power Station, 12v Foldable Solar Panel for Camping RV of 23.5% Efficiency Mono Solar Module, with IP67 etfe Lamination, Adjustable Kickstand for Off Grid https://amzn.eu/d/b54a30u

Think I’ve decided to go for the above

Hope it is OK to resurrect this older thread:

When I camp I'm always on a site so no problems with EHU for charging overnight but on days out (when I might be parked up but still at the van for a few hours) I've either got the fridge on (which on a hot day can use a surprising amount from the leisure battery) or in winter when I might need to put the diesel heater on a few times. The Eberspacher does not use much diesel but it needs power for the fan.

Can I connect something like the panel recommended above Renogy Portable to the leisure battery in a fully converted Hillside van without screwing things up? As both the fridge and heater are hardwired into the van I do not think a portable battery pack is the answer but I want to be able to top up the leisure battery during the day.

I am a total DUNCE when it comes to anything electric . . . and more than a little scared of doing damage to the electrics by doing it wrong, :unsure: please be gentle with me.

I think I understand that a panel cannot be plugged directly into the leisure battery but has to have a controller in between to stop the LB being overcharged, is that the way it works?

Last edited:
You're a star @Dellmassive, thank you so much.

So maybe I am not as much of a dunce as I thought and Portable Panel ➜ Victron Controller ➜ Built-in Leisure Battery gives me top up without the risk of damaging anything?

Yay :D

@Dellmassive. No, I spoke too soon.

Can you please explain (in words that you might use to a 6-year old, not a 60-something year old) exactly what "that needs a fuse connection to the battery" means in practice.

I have read your extensive threads many, many times but as I said, I really struggle with electrical stuff and I generally just don't "get it".

yes, - follow the connection instructions,

fuse the battery connection,

use suitable wire,

set the controller to the correct battery type, ie Lithium, AGM etc.

watch the free sun power charge your battery via the Victron APP.

happy sunny days. . . .

example battery link cable,

get this, then cut off the socket.

use the ring terminals to battery/busbar/fuse box. - and connect the cut end to the solar MPPT battery terminals.

this 10A fused cable is good for the 100W - so is fine for that 80W panel.

1710661123215.png

it looks like that panel uses MC4 connectors,

so you will need a patch cable like this. . . so that you can attach the panel to the solar controller. .

1710661615955.png

OK, thank you so much. I'm going to print out a lot of this and slow down until I have got my head around it all.

In the rest of the world I am not stupid (honest!) but anything involving LX, voltages, current just does not seem to agree with my brain :notworthy:

that's basically the bits you need to make it plug and play.

1710661746251.png

blue - solar mppt controller

green - mc4 link cable

red - battery fused link cable

Some portable panels come with a controller, which removes one of your connection challenges.
The controller is unlikely to be as good as the Victron, but it will work.

Pete

Some portable panels come with a controller, which removes one of your connection challenges.
The controller is unlikely to be as good as the Victron, but it will work.

Pete
I have to say I’m impressed with the Victron I fitted the other day. It’s definitely putting more in than the ctek used to achieve (when it was working). It was putting 5.3a in yesterday and the van isn’t even at the best angle. I didn’t get that last year in France in Summer with the ctek.

Back