Portable Power Packs - LifePo4 Battery Boxes -- How I done It --

-- 100w/160w 12v charge without melting your 12v socket --

As we all know these packs can only be 100w slow charged from 12v,

well i say SLOW, but in no way is it actually SLOW, 8A and 100W is a lot of power.

but,

when compared to mains 600w or 1500W fast charge, 100w does seem slow.

++++++++++++++

The problem is that all these devices have to limit the 12v input to 100w 8A as at this point the 12v plug/socket combo gets vey HOT.

this is all due to the small contact area within the plug,

they were never designed to carry this amount of power.

1689345437448.png

+++++++++++++++

The Ecoflow and other packs normally come with a XT60 input connector, which can handle 20/30A or 200-400W,

1689345632745.png1689345645154.png

but they sell you a XT60 to 12v plug !!!.

++++++++++++++++

Ecoflow have since made improvements to the boxes by allowing you to turn down the power on the 12v input.

set at 8A your 12v plug will get Burnie HOT within 10min . . . leave it for 6hours and you will end up with a melted mess.

set to 6A, the plus get fairly warm, but not too hot . . . which is good, but drops the input power to say 72w ( so slower charge)

and set to 4A is even better as the 12v plug will stay cool. . . but the input power drops to 48W ( so now a very slow charge . . . . not good if your fridge is pulling 60W to start with.)

1689345662953.png1689345671387.png

++++++++++++++++

so what I've been doing is making my own cable that are better.

and today was the day when i needed to make another two.

1689345755496.png

1689347393289.png

+++

++++++++++++++++

I've got some XT60 connectors, (they take a 12awg cable max) : https://amzn.to/3rqe0cO

1689346084527.png

1689345766760.png

+++

I've got some 12awg silicone flex cable ; https://amzn.to/44O6UNP

1689346018285.png

+++

I've got some SB50 Anderson connectores, : https://amzn.to/3OeEren

1689346044859.png

+++

some heat shrink : https://amzn.to/3pHwMMq

1689346120562.png

+++

some tessa tape. . . ; https://amzn.to/3rqe2kW

1689346159033.png

+++++++++++++++++++++

this is how i put them together,

i can now run the full 8A 100w charge via the XT60 connectors,

and becasue the other end is a Anderson SB50, they stay nice and cool too.

i fit 50A Fused Anderson IN/OUT connectors on all my battery boxes / storage boxes.

so its not a super easy and safe way to get full power into the boxes from a 12v supply.

1689345796713.png1689345829457.png1689345818416.png1689345846729.png1689345807757.png

1689345983696.png

want to make portable battery box?

see here:

and here:

+

Don't want a battery box, but want this. . . . .?

that's easy, just get get a premade fused battery to Anderson cable, . . then bolt that to your leisure setup.

*make sure all battery connections are fused !!

++++

1689346513065.png

++++++

Last edited:
The new two have the black XT60,

the older one has the yellow.

1689347479987.png

Thanks for the heads up, the new baby has been added to the Family :thumbsup: that's three solar generators now, hopefully thats the last!
Just charging for first time, our 200w panel is to big for her. So free power from the Bluetti.
IMG_4595.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up, the new baby has been added to the Family :thumbsup: that's three solar generators now, hopefully thats the last!
Just charging for first time, our 200w panel is to big for her. So free power from the Bluetti.
View attachment 205923

@WeaWar

don't forget to register you serial numbers and warranty on Ecoflow UK website - get free stuff and discounts.

or do it in the EF APP

++++

1689494722165.png

++++

1689494631717.png1689494643038.png

-- 100w 12v charge without melting your 12v socket --

As we all know these packs can only be 100w slow charged from 12v,

well i say SLOW, but in no way is it actually SLOW, 8A and 100W is a lot of power.

but,

when compared to mains 600w or 1500W fast charge, 100w does seem slow.

++++++++++++++

The problem is that all these devices have to limit the 12v input to 100w 8A as at this point the 12v plug/socket combo gets vey HOT.

this is all due to the small contact area within the plug,

they were never designed to carry this amount of power.

View attachment 205747

+++++++++++++++

The Ecoflow and other packs normally come with a XT60 input connector, which can handle 20/30A or 200-400W,

View attachment 205748View attachment 205749

but they sell you a XT60 to 12v plug !!!.

++++++++++++++++

Ecoflow have since made improvements to the boxes by allowing you to turn down the power on the 12v input.

set at 8A your 12v plug will get Burnie HOT within 10min . . . leave it for 6hours and you will end up with a melted mess.

set to 6A, the plus get fairly warm, but not too hot . . . which is good, but drops the input power to say 72w ( so slower charge)

and set to 4A is even better as the 12v plug will stay cool. . . but the input power drops to 48W ( so now a very slow charge . . . . not good if your fridge is pulling 60W to start with.)

View attachment 205750View attachment 205751

++++++++++++++++

so what I've been doing is making my own cable that are better.

and today was the day when i needed to make another two.

View attachment 205752

View attachment 205768

+++

++++++++++++++++

I've got some XT60 connectors, (they take a 12awg cable max) : https://amzn.to/3rqe0cO

View attachment 205763

View attachment 205753

+++

I've got some 12awg silicone flex cable ; https://amzn.to/44O6UNP

View attachment 205761

+++

I've got some SB50 Anderson connectores, : https://amzn.to/3OeEren

View attachment 205762

+++

some heat shrink : https://amzn.to/3pHwMMq

View attachment 205764

+++

some tessa tape. . . ; https://amzn.to/3rqe2kW

View attachment 205765

+++++++++++++++++++++

this is how i put them together,

i can now run the full 8A 100w charge via the XT60 connectors,

and becasue the other end is a Anderson SB50, they stay nice and cool too.

i fit 50A Fused Anderson IN/OUT connectors on all my battery boxes / storage boxes.

so its not a super easy and safe way to get full power into the boxes from a 12v supply.

View attachment 205754View attachment 205757View attachment 205756View attachment 205758View attachment 205755

View attachment 205760

want to make portable battery box?

see here:

and here:

+

Don't want a battery box, but want this. . . . .?

that's easy, just get get a premade fused battery to Anderson cable, . . then bolt that to your leisure setup.

*make sure all battery connections are fused !!

++++

View attachment 205766

++++++

just noticed a major benefit of my cable -- 160W charge Rate from 12v --

double sweet . . .

charging and testing all the gear for T6F summer camp..

and polaying with the settings. . .

On the ECOFLOW units you can set the INPUT as car/solar/auto.

in CAR & AUTO setting ( assuming below 15v ) it sets the current limiter - 2/4/6/8A input max - so 100w

BUT
, when you set the INPUT to SOLAR it removes the Limiter . . . so woosh, max power from my battery box.
+++

look 160W in from the 12v batteyr box.

1689502252542.png

with the EF input DC mode set to SOLAR.

1689502297442.png

this is confirmed looking at the Poweroad Lifpo4 battery BMS. . .

shows 13.0v

1689502339228.png

with the CAR setting you can see its limiting to 8A into the EF.

1689502378701.png

but with the SOLAR setting the limiter is removed and were getting 13.3A in.

1689502412013.png

which is now giving us 160W input charge power from out 12v lithium storage box.

1689502633136.png

Nice...

:mexican wave:

Is it possible to have a longer 12v cig charge lead for a ecoflow, the one EF supply is 1.5m, I would like one about 2.5m so I can leave the river pro in the cupboard, instead of sliding around between the front seats, happy to pay if anyone can make up a couple

Is it possible to have a longer 12v cig charge lead for a ecoflow, the one EF supply is 1.5m, I would like one about 2.5m so I can leave the river pro in the cupboard, instead of sliding around between the front seats, happy to pay if anyone can make up a couple
Yes, but drawing 8A over that cable run won't be good. Volt drop etc won't help your charge rate at all.

You will be better off running a decent fat cable fused feed back to the cupboard, then fit a 12v socket. Plug your box into that.

Yes, but drawing 8A over that cable run won't be good. Volt drop etc won't help your charge rate at all.

You will be better off running a decent fat cable fused feed back to the cupboard, then fit a 12v socket. Plug your box into that.
Ok thanks, I did think there maybe a reason they aren’t available longer

@Dellmassive - many thanks for all the info contained in this thread. I entered the world of Transporter ownership earlier this year, as I wanted something with a little more weight to pull a twin axle caravan. After a few months, I'm beginning to realise that I'll never have any spare cash again :) :) :)

I bought a T6.1, with a Skyline pop-top from Leighton Vans. Since then, I've had a CADCO bed put in, and I'm now looking at power, which led me to this and the "under-seat set up" thread. Because we sometimes go off grid with the caravan, I like the portable power station option, as I could use one for the van and caravan.

With regards to the van, I'm thinking of putting an ehu point under the bonnet, with a consumer unit and one or two 240V sockets under the passenger seat, with no leisure battery or the ancilliary equipment needed. Off grid would be covered by a portable power station, with the option of adding solar. At the moment, I'm only looking to run a Cello Traveller TV (19.5 - 36 W) and USB chargers - possibly a compressor fridge in the future.

PPS wise, it's a toss-up between the Ecoflow River 2 Max and the Bluetti EB55 - the EF has faster mains charging, but the Bluetti has greater AC output and quicker solar charging stats, plus, it's a little cheaper at the minute. There's also the Anker 535, which is cheaper still but doesn't seem as well spec's as the other two.

Regards price, I realsie I've just missed out on Amazon Prime day, but it sounds like there could be another in October, so I could wait until then.

With that small a load consider if you need any fixed mains in the van at all.

If you keep it all 12v you could just choose to add a decent charger as a 12v EHU and leave a quick connect adaptor on the starter battery.

Then on grid you can just use the van 12v and off grid you could just swap it to the power station.

If you really need mains EHU you could use a basic tent one occasionally with the lead through a window or tailgate. Might be worth a try before putting in a lot of wiring you might not use.

@Dellmassive - many thanks for all the info contained in this thread. I entered the world of Transporter ownership earlier this year, as I wanted something with a little more weight to pull a twin axle caravan. After a few months, I'm beginning to realise that I'll never have any spare cash again :) :) :)

I bought a T6.1, with a Skyline pop-top from Leighton Vans. Since then, I've had a CADCO bed put in, and I'm now looking at power, which led me to this and the "under-seat set up" thread. Because we sometimes go off grid with the caravan, I like the portable power station option, as I could use one for the van and caravan.

With regards to the van, I'm thinking of putting an ehu point under the bonnet, with a consumer unit and one or two 240V sockets under the passenger seat, with no leisure battery or the ancilliary equipment needed. Off grid would be covered by a portable power station, with the option of adding solar. At the moment, I'm only looking to run a Cello Traveller TV (19.5 - 36 W) and USB chargers - possibly a compressor fridge in the future.

PPS wise, it's a toss-up between the Ecoflow River 2 Max and the Bluetti EB55 - the EF has faster mains charging, but the Bluetti has greater AC output and quicker solar charging stats, plus, it's a little cheaper at the minute. There's also the Anker 535, which is cheaper still but doesn't seem as well spec's as the other two.

Regards price, I realsie I've just missed out on Amazon Prime day, but it sounds like there could be another in October, so I could wait until then.
Glad you found the thread informative.

More good stuff here...

Thanks for the reply roadtripper.

With that small a load consider if you need any fixed mains in the van at all.
Would leave the option of using a low powered fan heater, if the need arose.
If you keep it all 12v you could just choose to add a decent charger as a 12v EHU and leave a quick connect adaptor on the starter battery.

Then on grid you can just use the van 12v and off grid you could just swap it to the power station.
Never even thought about that - it's certainly an option as there are LED lights in the back of the van, with some USB and 12v sockets. I'd just assumed that the characteristics of vehicle starter batteries and leisure batteries were different, as the former were more suited to high loads over a short peiod and the latter were more for lower loads over prolongued periods.
If you really need mains EHU you could use a basic tent one occasionally with the lead through a window or tailgate. Might be worth a try before putting in a lot of wiring you might not use.
This would be the easiest, and cheapest option by far, but I'd discounted this idea as I'd read that tent extensions should be bonded to the vehicle earth for safety reasons.

At the moment, the van is still a work in progress, and is pretty much still just a Kombi with a pop-top and a CADCO bed. I've bought a Campingaz SG400 stove with 907 bottle to cook on and will probably add some Vanshades Window Pods.

This would be the easiest, and cheapest option by far, but I'd discounted this idea as I'd read that tent extensions should be bonded to the vehicle earth for safety reasons.
That's certainly good advice if you are doing it all regularly, if it's once or twice while you are trying to see what works for you then you might be happy with the risk. For double insulated loads like a battery charger or TV power supply the risk of a short to the van bodywork that would then be live is low. Your biggest risk area would be making sure any lead out of the vehicle wasn't crushed and inspect before each use.

It's why I'm investigating an external waterproof approach and then 12v into the van, in my case via the towing electrics.

To be clear I was suggesting using the Van battery if you also had a decent NoCo/CTEK/Victron charge connected, ideally one rated for supply as well as charging. Using the van battery on it's own I'd be more cautious of due to the risk of not starting.

Looks like a Chinese cloan unbranded unit.

Not sure I'd trust it myself.

Proceed with caution.

Known bands are . ..

Ecoflow,
Jackory
Anker,
Bluetti,
Allpowers.

Etc.

Thanks Dell. I got my eyes on the Anker 767 or EF Delta 2 and I am just waiting for discounts. I want to replace the EF River 2 Pro with a bigger capacity

Anker has just pubblished on their website some deal, and [I suspect it is a glitch in their system] you can get a Anker 767 with 2x 200W Solar Panel for £1648 once added to the basket

Screenshot_2023-09-28-10-56-59-403_com.android.chrome.jpg

Back