Plastic Trim Painting

Kev_

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I bought some Buzzweld Pio last week to test on the interior plastic trim in my van. I painted the interior light control last night and thought I'd share the results.

Once it had dried for 15 minutes i tried to scratch off the over spray with my house key and couldn't get it off.

I painted them in the garage at about 4 degrees which was probably a mistake but the results look good and I'll keep you posted on the progress.

I intend to do the a pillar and handle next to see how it holds up..

Heres a pic of the finished light:

76654180-448c-4802-9679-b76513e6b6484002086505295612688_PerfectlyClear_zpsh7wbhyte.jpg

That looks really good @Kev_ ,which finish is that? Most of the reports on various plastic colourings on here are not very good,scratches too easily etc but if you were struggling to scratch the overspray off then it sounds very promising,please keep us posted

It's a matt finish and looks fairly OEM. I'll try and upload a picture of the scratch I did..

That’s encouraging @Kev_ What prep work did you undertake? Did you use plastic primer 1st?
I’ve not read any adverse reports of the paint not adhering or scratching easily so I’m quite happy to paint rather than pay for new black trim

I'm with you on that and I don't think you can get that part in black except the light and switch which is about £35 alone.

Prep was just non silicone degreaser. I didn't use a primer because the paint didn't mention it being required. The feel of the plastic doesn't seem like it's a layer stuck on like other paints that would flake. It seems permanent. I'll do a grab handle and see how that holds up

A concern for me was that the paint is black and not the dark grey coulour of the other darker trim but the vents, cup holders, stereo surround, switches, etc are all black meaning it doesn't look out of place

I’m wondering how it would adhere to the panels with a textured dimpled finish as the website states that abrasives are preferred to prep before painting.
Obviously only the high spots on a textured surface would be touched with abrasive paper. I’ve put the question to the suppliers.

My concern with keying it is that you would see it through the paint. Unless you did it with something like 3000. I'll try it on a textured finish and see what happens. I could try it on my wheel arch liner and see what happens?

I'd use a fine scotch pad with a degreaser to key before painting.

I was thinking a quick wipe over with cellulose thinners would de-gloss and certainly degrease any plastic surface and provide a good key. Obviously wash well with water to remove any trace of thinners.

I've got some fine wire wool so I'll give that a go before decreasing

I bought some Buzzweld Pio last week to test on the interior plastic trim in my van. I painted the interior light control last night and thought I'd share the results.

Once it had dried for 15 minutes i tried to scratch off the over spray with my house key and couldn't get it off.

I painted them in the garage at about 4 degrees which was probably a mistake but the results look good and I'll keep you posted on the progress.

I intend to do the a pillar and handle next to see how it holds up..

Heres a pic of the finished light:

View attachment 58234
Do you have a link to the stuff you bought I think I might have to give this a try !

That looks very good. I dyed the D pillar in my Caravelle black but got rid of it and replaced it with a new one as it was too shiny and after just one long trip with luggage resting against it, it scratched.

Back