Hidden flap compartment painting

Unclebob

Australian member
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm part way through doing the hidden compartment mod (+ adding back up lights so I can actually see where I'm going at night). I don't have colour coded panels, but I could paint them while they're off. I got some matching spray paint for camouflaging the cable entry for the solar panels/light bar which I could use, but I'm a little concerned that the texture on the panels might show through. I'm not sure that it would necessarily look bad, but I'm also not sure it would look good. Has anybody painted these before? Did they turn out alright?
PXL_20230704_014832610.jpg

People do paint them after rubbing down and using a heavy primer. I think this part is fairly cheap by VW standards, you could just buy a new part to cut down on the labour.

Thanks for the suggestion, replacements sound like they would have been the way to go, but I've already done the work modifying the existing ones and fitting the lights (the primary reason for doing this) so I think I'll stick with the existing ones and paint them alongside my cable entries once they arrive.

Loving the upgraded reversing light mod; If you don't mind me asking where did you get them from?

Loving the upgraded reversing light mod; If you don't mind me asking where did you get them from?

There are other companies that do a very similar unit, I think they're just rebranded

PXL_20230616_072152277.jpg
I've got 4 in the interior, another 2 to go in at the front, and 2 for left/right. They're decently bright and work with the dimming for the interior light circuits.

I should mention that having these as reverse lights is illegal without meeting a lot of requirements, so these will be manually switched on/off separate to the regular reverse light which will remain as standard.

Back