Captains chair getting stuck on rotation.

Roblee

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Looked in the forum to see if anybody had posted the same problem I was having, but couldn't find a posting with same subject.
Last time we parked up for the night we decided to turn our passenger captains chair round, but it was getting stuck when trying to turn it round to face the rear of our van.

I had to really force it round, it felt like something was trapped in the mechanism. The chair did eventually turn round, but I couldn't see anything wrong at the time, it was late at night.

When we arrived home I decided to investigate the seat problem, I opened the passenger door and way be hold the seat plastic trim was hanging off. I wondered what had caused this to happen.

On investigating further, I discovered the culprit, it was a bolt sticking up on the chair mechanism catching on the side trims. I couldn't understand what purpose the bolt served..baffled. I decided the bolt had to go, got my hacksaw out and removed the bolt. I then sprayed painted the cut bolt black.
By the way there is 4 bolts, 2 on each seat. Now gone..and hasn't made any difference at all to the functionality of the chairs..

IMG20230815142256.jpg

IMG20230815143928.jpg

Last edited:
Those look like the OEM fixings on the seat runners. It looks like whoever has fitted the swivels has drilled extra holes in the seat runners for the swivel fixings. I’m not au-fait with after market swivels, so can’t comment. My factory swivels use the OEM fixtures.

Those look like the OEM fixings on the seat runners. It looks like whoever has fitted the swivels has drilled extra holes in the seat runners for the swivel fixings. I’m not au-fait with after market swivels, so can’t comment. My factory swivels use the OEM fixtures.

I have the double bolts too and I have OEM swivels. Just found out about them in using swivel first time after fitting seat covers - they push the plastics down just a bit, enough to catch.

IMG_4085.jpeg

I have the double bolts too and I have OEM swivels. Just found out about them in using swivel first time after fitting seat covers - they push the plastics down just a bit, enough to catch.

View attachment 209731
Yes, even the bolt with the nut on it catches on our seat trim..so I've sawn the bolt poking thru the nut of as well.

IMG20230815172404.jpg

IMG20230815172455.jpg

You can see the bolts on your seats have been catching on your trim as well..
Yeah there’s bit of markings. But in my case the main issue is that the plastic push clip in the front does not fit tight with the new covers so it lets the trim sag down a bit. Have to find a tight clip first and see if it still catches after that.

Reactions: mmi
I stand corrected:rolleyes: I’ve just checked mine & they are indeed like the OP’s, every day’s a school day. However there’s around 3mm clearance between the top of the stud & the side plastic.IMG_5247.jpeg

I stand corrected:rolleyes: I’ve just checked mine & they are indeed like the OP’s, every day’s a school day. However there’s around 3mm clearance between the top of the stud & the side plastic.View attachment 209752
Yes, I think it's a manufactured design. The passenger seat was fine for about first 12 months, but kids using the passenger seat as a ladder to get into the pop top, the seat has gone down until it touched the bolts. I can't see if there's anyway of making the seat any higher. I'd just be keeping a eye on the seat clearance from the bolts. If when turning the seat round it doesant turn smoothly, then check the clearance. Regards. Rob

Last edited:
Back