Planning T6 conversion - do I need to lower the van

Paxo

Bought a Startline with business pack but it seems to sit too high. 16 inch wheels. They look better when lowered but is it worth the cost? 18 or 20 inch wheels plus tyres and lowering over £2000??

Probably looking at £1200 for tyres and alloys on average and £1700 to £2100 for decent suspension.

Just booked mine in today for a kombi conversion plus various other bits

Probably looking at £1200 for tyres and alloys on average and £1700 to £2100 for decent suspension.

Just booked mine in today for a kombi conversion plus various other bits
So what happens to the suspension on spending this kind of money? I am aware many drop it 40mm - is that it?

I wouldn't contemplate lowering until you've done the conversion - the additional weight is going to change the balance of the van.
OK thanks - useful to know. Obviously it has been a working van til now and sits quite high when empty

I went with bilstein adjustable, coil overs so they change everything Inc dampers . I've driven the demo van and expected it to be a hard ride but it's not at all. Drove so smoothly and cornered much better. That was a 70mm drop don't think I'll go that low

I went with bilstein adjustable, coil overs so they change everything Inc dampers . I've driven the demo van and expected it to be a hard ride but it's not at all. Drove so smoothly and cornered much better. That was a 70mm drop don't think I'll go that low
It seems an awful lot of money just to lower than van abit? I have to make decisions based on my budget available and things like solar panel and lithium battery seem to me to be a higher priority.

Yeah everyone has different options they want . Like I don't want a full camper, pop top etc I'm just going dayvan

The 40 and + drop lowers the vans center of gravity helping plant it on the road and most of the uprated suspension helps reduce roll when cornering.
Makes your van drive more like a car.
If you add 20's then it also keeps your van at a similar height it was when it had 16's on.

The 40 and + drop lowers the vans center of gravity helping plant it on the road and most of the uprated suspension helps reduce roll when cornering.
Makes your van drive more like a car.
If you add 20's then it also keeps your van at the same height it was when it had 16's on.
So cost of that is around £1500? Seems a lot but many must feel its a must as many vans look lower to the road

So cost of that is around £1500? Seems a lot but many must feel its a must as many vans look lower to the road
I managed to get lowered using 2nd hand dampers from a member here, new springs, fitting by my indy and 2nd hand wheels (also from here) for about £800 all in.
That was 2 years ago and it's all still on the van now apart from fresh tyres. Also just passed an MOT with no advisories so you can do it on a budget.

I spent £600 on Stance+ coilovers for my camper and it wasn’t up to the job. So I then spent £1100 on KW and wished I’d not tried to do the job on the cheap the first time round.

£1500 is probably 5% of the vans’ value; when you look at it that way, it’s then not such a lot of money.

Plenty of people change their suspension again, and even more so change their wheels, so have a look and see what you can find second-hand

Search Tag - Coilover suspension
Search Tag - Wheels and tyres for sale

As said above, doing the wheels and tyres at the end of your conversion makes sense.

But if you do get impatient with it sitting high, at least with coilovers you’ll be able to adjust the height as the conversion goes in.

I did my conversion first and the van drove terribly (T32 so quite firm rear springs). The nose was in the air and there was no feeling through the steering wheel. That was the event that made me decide to sort the suspension.
So, as above, if you’re doing it then do it properly so I went to CRS.
At this point I was happy with it lowered on the original 17” Devonports.
20210113_141628.jpeg

So maybe do it in that order and see if you even want to put 20’s on.
I only went to 20’s when a really good second hand bargain came up that tempted me.
Also, when Steve took my suspension off the dampers were pretty shot at 100k, so it’s also a bit of preventative maintenance.

Last edited:
Back