Why Lower T6 van ? Don’t understand ?

Lotuscamper

H&S Manager
T6 Pro
As a newbie to van life I have seen a few models which details that’s it been lowered by xx mm etc ?
I know the importance of handling as my other car is renowned brand which places weight and handling as priority
I am little unclear on the values of lowering a van ? I can see lower centre of gravity will help in corners but ride quality will start to diminish ?
It’s something to help with bettering the drive quality as I found on my extended test drive the van a tad wallowing in corners but also on straight ? I don’t know if that’s cause I am used to driving a very low , light and mid engined car ? The van has 20 inch wheels

I too drive something low and reasonably fast originally from the Chapman stable (Caterham 7).

My limited personal experience of being in various vans and reading lots of forum posts I have the following observations:-

The OEM shocks perform a function but at best they can be described as poor. I have Koni special active shocks and 40mm lower which for me gives the perfect balance of handling and aesthetics.

I run 18” steels with 50 profile tyres. I used to run 17” / 55 winter tyres and the ride was notably softer with the 17s. I’ve been in vans with bigger wheels and they’ve felt very harsh. Dont underestimate the impact on ride quality that the wheel/tyre combination will make. I wont go above 18” wheel size.

Anti roll bars can be changed to stop roll - either a higher rated (thicker) set from say a T32 or H&R after market bars. I have some T32 bars to fit on mine.

Having a camper conversion (adding weight) alters the handling. Companies like @CRS Performance can tailor the suspension components so the van sits level and handles as it should.

Steve @CRS Performance fitted my H&R springs and koni dampers over 3 years ago now and the van still drives really nicely.

There's lowering and there's lowering. I'm quite happy with my replacement suspension by CRS as it improves the drive and the van no longer feels like it's lurching into roundabouts as well as levelling things out with a full camper conversion in the back. A by-product was slight lowering (IIRC about 25mm) but that wasn't the aim of the upgrading exercise and, in theory anyway, I'm still slightly (about 5mm) too high for a 2M barrier (but I did clear one very, very slowly and narrowly yesterday!). It would be nice to know with confidence that I will clear a 2M restriction but it's not often a real world concern (for me anyway). There's a guy who lived in our village until a short while ago whose T4 looks like you would trouble getting a sheet of paper underneath it and IMHO it looked ridiculous (as, indeed, did his mullet!). Even lowered vans that sit higher than that start to look a bit silly when they leave scars on speed bumps. All things considered, I'll stick with my normal but, to some eyes, boring.

Steve @CRS Performance fitted my H&R springs and koni dampers over 3 years ago now and the van still drives really nicely
Given I test drove with an empty van what will the difference be when you have your stuff and extra people loaded into the vehicle ?
Also probably important how much do you end up spending to get the improvements to make the van a more enjoyable experience ?

I love my transporter, but it isn’t ever going to challenge my other car in terms of handling and performance, even if I lower it, change the dampers and springs, put anti roll bars on and fancy tyres. Saying that, my other car will never carry a tenth the stuff or be anywhere as near as practical as the van.

I think making the van more comfortable and positive is a great idea, and know there are several solutions which lower them slightly, but it’ll never be a sports car!

We fitted H&R lowering springs for one of our customers, at the age of 86 years old !
It had nothing to do with looks or handling. Just the simple fact it put the van height under 2m with a reimo roof fitted.
She did actually notice it was slightly easier to get in and out of the van too which was something I didn't give much thought about.

If you have camper another factor is that the conversion weighs down the back, and lifts up the nose a little. This makes the steering a little lighter. CRS dropped mine by 60mm and the van now sits level - here is the before and after and you can see how 'high' the from used to sit compared to the rear. Night and day with the handling, plus the nose dips far less under braking. CRS sets it up so that its as stiff as you need but balanced with decent comfort.

After.jpg

Before.jpg

When I first saw this post on Sunday it struck me a bit of a troll post especially as it questioned lowering but not why 20" wheels were on the test driven van. Seemed weird to ponder on the reasoning for one without the other.

Anyhow my reasonings are :

Firstly looks. I've lowered vehicles for 35 years of my driving. I love look of a vehicle that's been dropped considerably and for most of my cars and vans that's been 50-100mm as it still allows a practical drive. I'm down about 80mm currently, do 2-3k miles a month so yes it's perfectly practical including towing my caravan across a field.
Secondly would be overall height. I need to get in hospital car parks and many have ~2M height barriers. Lowering gets me under them.
Thirdly improved handling.
Lastly and this is subjective my lowered Caravelle rides way better than stock. I have a T32 LWB Caravelle and the ride was very harsh and crashy when i first got it. I'd driven a T30 Caravelle before and the extra weight rating on the T32 ruined the ride in a Caravelle. Maybe OK if I was carrying 7 fat people but empty it was poor.

Back