Thoughts - Driving on Track - Transporter T6

martin887

Okay, so this will be unique topic.
Did anyone try driving on track?
I recently bought Transporter T6 short wheelbase panel-van (no seats at back) for my motorcycle riding.
And ever since I played Assetto Corsa with Multivan 400hp I want to do this in real life.
I'm not going to do any racing, but I want to experience driving this van on track.
I will be upgrading the suspension (B14 Comfort, ST Suspensions /or KONI Special Active with H&R Lowering Springs)

And I can't decide with the wheels/tires....
Currently I have "Bridgestone Duravis R660" tires and 16" wheels, which are appropriate for this van, cause of high load index, and I have to say I like them.
But changing the tires must clearly offer more comfort and grip, does it?
The van will become illegal of course, but the thing is, my van will only be transporting motorcycle, so I really don't need 4 tons weight limit for tires!
I'm totally lost with the tire choices and how to calculate what's fine and what's dangerous.

Okay, so this will be unique topic.
Did anyone try driving on track?
I recently bought Transporter T6 Short VAN (no seats at back) for my motorcycle riding.
And ever since I played Assetto Corsa with Multivan 400hp I want to do this in real life.
I'm not going to do any racing, but I want to experience driving this VAN on track.
I will be upgrading the suspension (B14 Comfort, ST Suspensions /or KONI Special Active with H&R Lowering Springs)

And I can't decide with the wheels/tires....
Currently I have "Bridgestone Duravis R660" tires and 16" wheels, which are appropriate for this VAN, cause of high load index, and I have to say I like them.
But changing the tires must clearly offer more comfort and grip, does it?
The VAN will become illegal of course, but the thing is, my VAN will only be transporting motorcycle, so I really don't need 4 tons weight limit for tires!
I'm totally lost with the tire choices and how to calculate what's fine and what's dangerous.
Will it be illegal though?

I have this sticker VW put on my door pillar and I’d always assumed I could therefore use any of these set ups on my van as they were ‘type approved’.

IMG_1303.jpeg
I am planning on trying either the 235/60 R16 or 235/55 R17 when my current tyres get down to 3mm and I find a deal on new wheels and tyres, as I heard the lower pressures afforded by these two equate to better rude comfort.
I’d probably get delivery mileage genuine VW wheels or a decent brand with a TUV approval certificate - keep it legal when travelling abroad too. And I always get known brand tyres, usually based on TyreReviews website.

Appreciate it.
I was thinking about the weight differences 103T and like 90T.
Because 103T rated tires are all meant for VANs and the choices are a) not so broad, and b) why heavy duty when I don't need it.
But you're probably right about keeping it legal and having peace of mind.

Appreciate it.
Because 103T rated tires are all meant for VANs and the choices are a) not so broad, and b) why heavy duty when I don't need it.
Perhaps the width to sidewall ratio is the limiting factor, if there is one, because my golf estate takes 104 load rated tyres and there is always plenty of choice, but they are 225/45 R17 - a common size for family cars but not normally used on vans.

Appreciate it.
Just typed the 255/45 R18 103 size into Black Circles website- loads of decent tyres including the Michelin Sport 5.

Loads of us run Goodyear Eagle F1s on our vans, they're 104 tyres and I would happily take the van on track with them on

Loads of us run Goodyear Eagle F1s on our vans, they're 104 tyres and I would happily take the van on track with them on
Ooohh.. nice van... 20" wheels... and I see you went with ST X ... people were complaining they are a bit harsh, can't imagine them on 20"

Ooohh.. nice VAN... 20" wheels... and I see you went with ST X ... people were complaining they are a bit harsh, can't imagine them on 20"

Dunno where you've read that but I think they're awesome, STX with 20s on is far more comfortable than the standard suspension with 17s was :thumbsup:

My other option was Solows but I worried the 100mm drop would've made the van too low for getting it into all the crummy car parks to get my mtb out.

I wouldn't even consider Bilsteins anymore now there's better options available, the quality of those seems questionable at best.

Dunno where you've read that but I think they're awesome, STX with 20s on is far more comfortable than the standard suspension with 17s was :thumbsup:

My other option was Solows but I worried the 100mm drop would've made the van too low for getting it into all the crummy car parks to get my mtb out.

I wouldn't even consider Bilsteins anymore now there's better options available, the quality of those seems questionable at best.
Thanks, it's difficult, cause everyone has an opinion.
But I read somewhere in this forum that they felt ST-X are generally a bit harsh, but if that's better than standard, that's good enough for me.
I gathered that everyone here recommends CSR ... Koni Special Active + H&R lowered springs, which is however not adjustable suspension.

Maybe if you're anywhere near CRS or Bognor you could go try some out.

I think not being adjustable wouldn't be much of a problem if you can get the ride height how you want it you're not likely to ever want to change it

That's true... but if the height is not good, it's going to be hussle with returns and service again, etc...
But yeah, good to know... so the choice is ST-X or Koni Active.

I took mine on the ring. Handled it really well! Solows are a must! I was running a Accelera Phi 225/40/20 here and had no issues with grip. Weight is a massive factor, and even though I wasn't going that fast, you can certainly feel the weight going into and out of corners!
Screenshot_20240131_105042_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240131_105036_Gallery.jpg

Were planning Germany and Alps trip next year with MTB's and I really want to get mine round the ring at the same time. As with any track stuff the brakes will be the most important bit so make sure they are up to the job first.
Id say a good 18in set up is probably best compromise for the wheels / tyres. Maybe some uprated ARB's as well. I find mine handles surprisingly well with the H&R coils on.

Would be interesting to see what the mapped TSi would be like against some other stuff.

Back