Piggybacking Fuses

Gareth_992

hi all

New member and straight to asking questions, but any advice you can offer would by hugely appreciated.

I’m looking to add some ambient lighting and additional usb sockets in the back of a Kombi, I was hoping to piggyback from two of the fuses under the dash, I’m wanting to wire both up to switched lives (the middle line of fuses I believe) are there any that would be best to go for and do I run the risk of kicking up any fault messages?

Thank you all

Hello @Gareth_992 and welcome to T6F.

There is a wealth of info for you over in the VIP section . . . . . come join the club and become a member =]

VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum

some more info for you here:

Downloads | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum

Fuse Box Layout Map

VW T6 Fuse Boxes - Overview Of Fuse Holder Vehicle Locations

Ambient Lighting

Convenience Systems

and here:
Installing 12v Socket /s - How Its Done -
12v Igntn Feed + 5xusb Charging From Ign Feed - Today's Install

12v Aux Feed + 5xusb Charging From Aux Battery - Today's Install

Led Rear Interior Lights - How I Done It.

Basically all the center line of fuses in the center dash are ignition live, you can piggyback smaller loads (say up to 5/10A) from any of them.

There is also a curtsy light wire feed "about" (comes on when door opens)

and

a Ambient light wire feed "about" (comes on with dash lighting at night)

remember to test the piggy fuse so the feed drops out when fuse removed - if not turn the piggyholder around the other way.

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited:
I am a bit confused! I have used a Nextbase piggyback fuse to hardwire a dashcam into the middle row of fuses- second one down, 15A. If I remve the 2A fuse for the powersupply the feed to the cam drops with either orientation- which is confusing.

I have solved the problem. The problem is that I am an idiot. Of course the feed drops if I take the fuse for the cam out! And of course it worked in either orientation with both fuses in.

You tell which way to put the piggyback in by taking out the original fuse...if the accessory works with just the accessory fuse and no original fuse then the piggyback is in the right way round.

all this is good- otherwise I wasn't going to be able to sleep with the worry of it all.

Help! I want to use 2 piggy back fuses in 2 fuse slots which are together. So I'm looking for a piggyback that is upside down so to speak.
All the piggybacks have the wire coming out from the left so when inserted correctly the 2 fuses are pointing up.
I need one that has the wire coming out from the right so when inserted the fuses will be pointing down.
Anyone seen such a thing?

Typically the wire comes out of a particular side to correspond with whichever side of the fuse is opposite the feed. I'm not sure you would get a piggyback the other way around without bypassing the fuse?

Back