Any problems fitting a towbar to a camper conversion

Garyf123

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Finally made the decision to go with a westfalia detachable towbar with 13pin vehicle specific wiring. My van is a 2019 highline camper conversion. I was looking at some of the fitting videos and it was saying that in some cases, boot floors have to be lifted. Mine has the units built in and bed so that won’t be happening! Is there any problems with fitting a towbar to a camper conversion? The only thing I can see in the way is the spare wheel. The notes say I might need to purchase some bumper inserts from VW, is this on all transporters?

Gary.

Mine came with a westfalia detachable already fitted. Does not look to interfere with the spare wheel unless it was modified. I cannot see any changes

IMG_20230603_095842.jpg

I have the westfalia / OEM kit incl OEM wiring and the only place the wires come into the cabin is under the front seats and link into the fuse box under the passenger seat.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated! I will have a look at Tow Trust. Just googled Absolut5, bit far away for me, I am in Leeds!
All the trailers I have been looking at (used) seem to have 7 pin connectors, I was thinking of getting the tow bar with 13 pin plug. Would that mean the trailer would need rewiring to 13 pin?

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated! I will have a look at Tow Trust. Just googled Absolut5, bit far away for me, I am in Leeds!
All the trailers I have been looking at (used) seem to have 7 pin connectors, I was thinking of getting the tow bar with 13 pin plug. Would that mean the trailer would need rewiring to 13 pin?
If you ever fancy a trip to the east coast … woldTowbars in Bridlington are great fitters I’ve prob had 4 or 5 from them

You can either buy an adapter from 7pin to 13pin. Or change the plug on the trailer wiring for a 13pin type.

Yes, you will probably need the two polystyrene (?) spacers if you want to step on the bumper. (with the Westfalia).

They don't seem to come with the kit.

Yes, you will probably need the two polystyrene (?) spacers if you want to step on the bumper. (with the Westfalia).

They don't seem to come with the kit.
Sorry can you explain more about this as I am also looking for a fitting on a t6.1 interested to know what you mean pls

When you fit a towbar, you have to remove the existing plastic or metal rear cross-member, and fit the one supplied which has the towbar mount. Depending on supplier, this may or may not fill out the space to the rear bumper when that is fitted. The polystyrene spacers fill out this space either side, to stop bumper flex.
Do a search for polystyrene- this will find you some threads on this.

Pete

Like this one:

Reactions: CAB
Back