TSi MPG

Your business is mainly campers I take it? They by definition do far less miles than your average delivery van, and therefore mpg is of less a concern to the owners of these campers.

Not at all. Our hire fleet is over 100 hire vehicles, cars and vans, and we are slowly changing them all to Petrol, due to demand. We have a camper hire business and by next year over 25% will be petrol, we are also having petrols converted due to demand. And we sell and lease, new and used, and we are getting lots of petrol enquires. And orders. Whether or not the engines are up to it yet, the switch is happening, and we are part of it. Always good to be ahead of the game.

They will slowly start taxing the diesels in cities etc soon, starting with euro 4, so they will become more expensive, to run.

I do 25k plus miles a year, and personally, Id rather pay a bit more to have a petrol engine, as I prefer how they drive/feel. My wifes personal car is petrol, and ill be doing most of my miles in a petrol van. Life is a better place for me :)

I will reiterate, if anyone wants to try a TSi, by the end of the month, we will have two 204DSG's, and 2 150 manuals - Im happy to do an assisted test drive, or you can hire them. See for yourself. Its a nice place to be. Not for everyone, but good to try for yourself before making judgement.

My preference would have been to go petrol...I've literally just ordered a new Kombi (150TDi Highline manual), but whilst the 150TSi is around £1000 cheaper I don't feel this lump is quite up to the job. This pushes me into the 204TSi which you can only get as a DSG and so works out over £4000 more than the manual 150TDi. If they'd have made a manual 204TSi then I'd probably have gone that route.

My preference would have been to go petrol...I've literally just ordered a new Kombi (150TDi Highline manual), but whilst the 150TSi is around £1000 cheaper I don't feel this lump is quite up to the job. This pushes me into the 204TSi which you can only get as a DSG and so works out over £4000 more than the manual 150TDi. If they'd have made a manual 204TSi then I'd probably have gone that route.

I like manuals. Had T4, T5 and currently T5.1 manual. But most likely next order will be DSG.
Having loaned one on a couple of occasions, it suits the van line up better than the cars.
Starting to come round to the idea, manuals are for proper sport cars only.

I'd have a 204DSG petrol 4motion if they sold one over here. Dont fancy the torque steer in a 2wd 204dsg. I found the diesel torque steered too much for my liking (shows you the type of driver i am...), hence going 4motion (plus the other abilities)

I’m definitely interested in Petrol for my next van and do 30k a year, it sounds not to bad on the old mpg to be honest. My first VW Transporter which was a 2.5 130 was not the best on fuel

MPG Update

So drove to Salisbury and back today from Bognor. Cruise control at 77, and normal driving elsewhere - no deliberate light 'economy' driving. Came back via southampton, so stop start traffic etc. Averaged 29MPG overall. Vehicle has now covered 700 miles, and we were four up.

Seems pretty decent to me :)

MPG Update

So drove to Salisbury and back today from Bognor. Cruise control at 77, and normal driving elsewhere - no deliberate light 'economy' driving. Came back via southampton, so stop start traffic etc. Averaged 29MPG overall. Vehicle has now covered 700 miles, and we were four up.

Seems pretty decent to me :)

I still have the 150 Petrol. Its slowly winning me over.
I have driven 120 miles today through the Cotswolds. Averaged 31.5 mpg.
Now i need to compare the new price between diesel and petrol, because i think their won't be much in it when you consider cheaper fuel and no ad blu. Its an interesting battle. Then i wonder about an LPG tank stuck underneath.
Do you know what the difference is between the 204 and 150...? Sorry, i mean components wise.

I must admit, although I was planning to keep mine long term I probably won't now due to the diesel stigma. Don't see the point in going for one of the current petrol engines as a knee jerk reaction though as they won't be far behind in being attacked. When the T7 or whatever it's called comes out in 2-3yrs it's absolutely nailed on that it'll have a petrol hybrid engine (the Transit has already been confirmed to have one by then and VW won't want to be seen lagging after their recent PR push) and that's probably the time for me to trade this one in.

So the petrols are getting the exact same mpg as my diesel and smells better and sounds better whilst doing it.
I'm going to crawl back into my hole of diesel pity.

I must admit, although I was planning to keep mine long term I probably won't now due to the diesel stigma. Don't see the point in going for one of the current petrol engines as a knee jerk reaction though as they won't be far behind in being attacked. When the T7 or whatever it's called comes out in 2-3yrs it's absolutely nailed on that it'll have a petrol hybrid engine (the Transit has already been confirmed to have one by then and VW won't want to be seen lagging after their recent PR push) and that's probably the time for me to trade this one in.

+1

A T6.1 or T7 petrol hybrid would tempt me to change. Petrol alone wouldn't do it for me either

+2

Same here. What is concerning me more and more though is the depreciation. We currently have two diesel VWs in the household and a big part in the decision to purchase both these vehicles was there ability to hold value. What with the VW and now diesel stigma attached, I wonder if we will be able to afford new cars/vans anytime soon.

+2

Same here. What is concerning me more and more though is the depreciation. We currently have two diesel VWs in the household and a big part in the decision to purchase both these vehicles was there ability to hold value. What with the VW and now diesel stigma attached, I wonder if we will be able to afford new cars/vans anytime soon.
I would expect vans, esp camper vans to be a bit slower at being affected by depreciation. Since the freeing off of pensions a few years back there has been a MASSIVE increase in campervans and motorhomes purchased by old people - all of them diesel - and these people form a huge percentage of those who turn out and vote. There won't be a sudden smack in the mouth to these people from any government who wants to stay in power.

Either that or the rate of diesel vans suddenly and unexpectedly catching fire for no reason at all :rolleyes: will become rife.
Just like every ford on the Ford Options plan a few years ago. It was truly amazing just how many 2year 11.75 month old fords were catching fire for no apparent reason at all!!!!!!

I have just finalised a spec on a 150TSI SWB Kombi Startline in pure grey, I haven't driven one but it fits the budget and I only do short journeys with the occasional long trip to UK bike trackdays so think a petrol will suit me 90% of the time.
It will be a keeper and as soon it is out of warranty I will be looking to chip it. No one offers a 204 chip which is surprising if it is the same engine?
Having previously owned a 204 Sport Vito I doubt anything could compare to that powertrain, the engine sounded epic!

I would expect vans, esp camper vans to be a bit slower at being affected by depreciation. Since the freeing off of pensions a few years back there has been a MASSIVE increase in campervans and motorhomes purchased by old people - all of them diesel - and these people form a huge percentage of those who turn out and vote. There won't be a sudden smack in the mouth to these people from any government who wants to stay in power.

There is already if they are not Euro6, as nobody wants them especially with the fines that are coming into place for Cities around Europe & the UK, also you say Motorhomes not a Volkswagen which is hardly a Motorhome !

I say this as I have had Motorhomes varying in size from 10mtrs down to the smallest at 7mtrs, they are Motorhomes.

Back