TSi MPG

I have just got a new Mini Countryman 4x4 for the wife to replace the Vauxhall 2.2 diesel antara. It has the 3 cylinder 1.5 turbo petrol and is 1500 kg but is a super little unit . It pulls from 1250 rpm up to 6500 rpm and runs smooth like a 4 cyl. Getting 35 mpg around town and 45 on a run we are going to pull the caravan with it so time will tell but feels as it will do the job. After driving it I cannot see the need for a diesel in a car up to this weight any more. If you have never driven a 3 cylinder it is worth a test drive as they are using it in the 1,2 and 3 series now and i8 but that is up to 210 bhp .

Yep, n@bs doing 200kph on public roads.

Anyone remember the Transit van with F1 engine in it? About as relevant to the OP has some of the contributions on here.
You’re getting really boring now, this site is about all aspects of T6 ownership, so grow up.

My first post on this forum. I live in Sweden and the last month VW had a campaign on the vw multivan. Not sure if you have that model in the uk or what it's called there.

Anyway, the selected cars had the tsi 150hp engine with manual gb, led lights, aux heater with remote (on petrol), park pilot with reverse camera, heated chairs in the front, 3 zone ac, foldable mirrors, composition media with app connect.

As you now realized, I bought one. Traded in my MB GLK to get a bus. Strange move...

Back to the topic. The TSI is driving really well. It's quite, almost no vibration and drivable from 1200rpm and up, however a bit lazy below 1700 or so. I've driven almost 1000km and the average consumption according to the mfd is 9,2l/100k. Not too bad imho.

This Wednesday it will go for a tune though. According to the firm it will get 257hp and 380NM. If it will reach 200 I would be happy. Volkswagen Multivan 2.0TFSI 150Hp 2012-2017 Stage 1

I have no connection to the tuning company except I placed an order with them.

To summarize, I'm happy with the engine as is and hopefully even more so on Thursday.

Sorry for a lot of text.

It's been a while since above post, however due to decoding problems not much happened with the tuning until today. Since of a couple of hours the above tune is installed. I will follow up with thoughts. I just took it back to the office, quite short distance thru traffic so did not have the possibility of testing anything. It will be interesting to feel the difference, and even though the max power is so high in the revs so maybe I won't use it at all. Power down lower should also be noticeably more.

I will revert when I have some more experience with it.

Yep, n@bs doing 200kph on public roads.

Anyone remember the Transit van with F1 engine in it? About as relevant to the OP has some of the contributions on here.
Was that the one after the Gurney Weslake one with the Can Am engine in it that nearly ran me over in the Thruxston pits :)

It's been a while since above post, however due to decoding problems not much happened with the tuning until today. Since of a couple of hours the above tune is installed. I will follow up with thoughts. I just took it back to the office, quite short distance thru traffic so did not have the possibility of testing anything. It will be interesting to feel the difference, and even though the max power is so high in the revs so maybe I won't use it at all. Power down lower should also be noticeably more.

I will revert when I have some more experience with it.

My first post on the forum.

Hi Zam. Thank you for the update. I've been watching out for your updates on the TSI 150 Multivan. I placed an order for a TSI 150 Panel Van Trend Line LWB four weeks ago, just before a VW UK price rise of 3%. Latest news from the dealer is that demand for T6 Petrol vans has been greater than VW expected. So I'm not expecting delivery for at least eight or ten weeks. According to brochures I've looked at, the unladen weight of a TSI 150 Multivan SWB is 200kg heavier than the unladen weight of a TSI 150 Trend Line panel van LWB. I will have the van well sound deadened and lined with ply and carpet. I carry very little weight. I've always driven vans. Had a VW T3 panel van in the eighties. It was a 'Rust Bucket'. Apparently there were some bad ones. Mine was definitely one of them. I now have a T4 panel van LWB 2.4D. It has 91,000 miles on the clock, first registered September year 2000. Never had any problems at all.

I would love to hear a bit more about what your experience with the TSI 150 was like before the 'Tuning'. I read your post after the first 100 Kilometres and it sounded quite promising. I did read one post on this forum where the driver thought the TSI 150 was underpowered. I would also love to hear how others are getting on with the TSI 150.

Thank you once again ZAM for the updates so far. And thank you also to all the contributors on the forum. I am learning a lot from you all.

I have just got a new Mini Countryman 4x4 for the wife to replace the Vauxhall 2.2 diesel antara. It has the 3 cylinder 1.5 turbo petrol and is 1500 kg but is a super little unit . It pulls from 1250 rpm up to 6500 rpm and runs smooth like a 4 cyl. Getting 35 mpg around town and 45 on a run we are going to pull the caravan with it so time will tell but feels as it will do the job. After driving it I cannot see the need for a diesel in a car up to this weight any more. If you have never driven a 3 cylinder it is worth a test drive as they are using it in the 1,2 and 3 series now and i8 but that is up to 210 bhp .
Keep the car size the same, double the number of cylinders, triple the power and.... wooo hooo; muchos fun and genuinely decent mpg on a long run.

I’m so anti diesel now; our 204 unit is good enough but I drive it knowing I can’t do short journeys (well that’s really handy in a van), constantly worry about DPF and EGR issues and have to give it a long blast to clear the apparently low emission cack clogging it up.

In the BM and the Subaru (2.5 petrol) I can repeatedly drive 18 metres. Stop. Do it again. Stop. All day long. They won’t tell me off. They won’t threaten me with a emissions lights. They won’t do the diesel grumpy trick of firing up a Pratt and Whitney turbo jet if I dare drive either less than 25 miles at full blast, superheating the floor and ingesting small birds from a 3 mile radius. They don’t need corrosive pi55 thrown in a tank.

They just work.

I have had my Kombi TSI 204 dsg now for a couple of weeks, covered just over 800 miles in it with one long run up to Cheshire and back in the last couple of days.
It has been very responsive and very rapid from day one, it will be interesting to see what the power delivery will be once I have had the fit out conversion carried out.

I have had my Kombi TSI 204 dsg now for a couple of weeks, covered just over 800 miles in it with one long run up to Cheshire and back in the last couple of days.
It has been very responsive and very rapid from day one, it will be interesting to see what the power delivery will be once I have had the fit out conversion carried out.

Does it sound decent?

Given its bulky form, when you pop it into S on the DSG and put your foot down to overtake, it’s got a great roar. Apart from that it’s very quiet. Almost makes up for the teeeeerible fuel economy...

My first post on the forum.

Hi Zam. Thank you for the update. I've been watching out for your updates on the TSI 150 Multivan. I placed an order for a TSI 150 Panel Van Trend Line LWB four weeks ago, just before a VW UK price rise of 3%. Latest news from the dealer is that demand for T6 Petrol vans has been greater than VW expected. So I'm not expecting delivery for at least eight or ten weeks. According to brochures I've looked at, the unladen weight of a TSI 150 Multivan SWB is 200kg heavier than the unladen weight of a TSI 150 Trend Line panel van LWB. I will have the van well sound deadened and lined with ply and carpet. I carry very little weight. I've always driven vans. Had a VW T3 panel van in the eighties. It was a 'Rust Bucket'. Apparently there were some bad ones. Mine was definitely one of them. I now have a T4 panel van LWB 2.4D. It has 91,000 miles on the clock, first registered September year 2000. Never had any problems at all.

I would love to hear a bit more about what your experience with the TSI 150 was like before the 'Tuning'. I read your post after the first 100 Kilometres and it sounded quite promising. I did read one post on this forum where the driver thought the TSI 150 was underpowered. I would also love to hear how others are getting on with the TSI 150.

Thank you once again ZAM for the updates so far. And thank you also to all the contributors on the forum. I am learning a lot from you all.

The Multivan is heavy at almost 2400kg, but you get 4 captain chairs, one with built in childseat, and a sofa that can be used as a camping bed. Despite the weight I have to say that the TSI 150 is enough as a daily driver. Compared to the cars I had before I could not overtake as fast, but apart from that. I really have no complaint. I just could not resist to try the tune since it was not too expensive and the numbers looked good, but more so the power curve looked like such an improvement.

All other factors with it is great, plenty of space, good comfort, I don't have to fold the baby stroller to get it in the trunk, I can fit my bicycle in the trunk without folding any seat. It is also very practical with a baby to have the third row available for play or diaper change. When stopping for a snack he was happy crawling around while we had the table up enjoying a burger or similar.

The only downside is that the road noice is quite a lot worse than a 'normal' car.

I will have to drive a bit more to give a good feedback of the result after the tune, however it does feel a lot faster and more responsive although I haven't been above 4000RPM.

I have driven about 9000km before the tune. Average fuel per the mfd was 8.4l/100km

Anyone know how a like for like 204 TDI and TSI compares for raw performance figures? Would be interesting to know.
For those who harp on about torque, I use a closely matched example - E90 BMW 335d (we had the E91 estate version) and E90 335i.
The 335d - 286bhp, 428lbs-ft. The 335i - 306bhp, 295lbs-ft, very similar weight.
The 335i was significantly faster almost at any speed increment and it took a fairly major remap to get a 335d to the same numbers.

It's all about gearing, revs and power.

Update - we VW states exactly the same 0-60 for both (9.9s) and a higher top speed for the TDI (126 vs 123) so that kills my theory!

Yep. A diesel may have more torque but at the end of the day or goes through a final drive which determines the actual wheel torque.
Petrols will have different gearing suited to the lower torque.

In answer to you wanting to tow with a Mini well it will tow but will you have to torque. I used to have a Suzuki Vitara 2.5ltr V6 that went like atrain but had to torque when towing. It would tow but used to dring petron like a fish. I imagin you tree cylinders will be screaming there little hearts out in protest and towing a caravan and drinking petrol like a fish to do so. I might add my T6 tows the caravan Ok but does not have that much torque but it does hav elots of power

The Multivan is heavy at almost 2400kg, but you get 4 captain chairs, one with built in childseat, and a sofa that can be used as a camping bed. Despite the weight I have to say that the TSI 150 is enough as a daily driver. Compared to the cars I had before I could not overtake as fast, but apart from that. I really have no complaint. I just could not resist to try the tune since it was not too expensive and the numbers looked good, but more so the power curve looked like such an improvement.

All other factors with it is great, plenty of space, good comfort, I don't have to fold the baby stroller to get it in the trunk, I can fit my bicycle in the trunk without folding any seat. It is also very practical with a baby to have the third row available for play or diaper change. When stopping for a snack he was happy crawling around while we had the table up enjoying a burger or similar.

The only downside is that the road noice is quite a lot worse than a 'normal' car.

I will have to drive a bit more to give a good feedback of the result after the tune, however it does feel a lot faster and more responsive although I haven't been above 4000RPM.

I have driven about 9000km before the tune. Average fuel per the mfd was 8.4l/100km

Thank you Zam for your reply. Sounds like the Multivan is a great family car for you, seems to tick all the boxes. You sound delighted with what you have bought. That's great to hear.

And for me it's good to hear you are satisfied with the performance. That helps a lot to ease my concerns about whether I will be satisfied with performance. Like I said above, I never carry much weight so I can't really see me having any problems. Plus the possibility of remapping. I never heard of that before I started reading about it on this forum. Look forward to hearing what you have to say about your experience with it when you have had plenty of time to get a good feel for it.

Road noise. My van will be a LWB panel van with no bulk head. When it comes it will be a lot noisier that your Multivan. I will have it fully sound deadened by a local VW approved Camper-van conversion company. They will line all the panels with a self adhesive sound deadening material. Then add ply lining, and then line all surfaces with carpet. The owner of the company is currently doing that with his new TSI 204 DSG Kombi Van. He says he is a fanatic about noise.

The owners of TSI engines on the forum comment on how quiet the engine is. So will I hear it at all after all the sound treatment? I think it might actually help me to hear the engine because the sound of it won't disappear into panel noise and road noise..... maybe? We'll see.

Well, I ran the 150 Tsi Petrol for 8 weeks and I honestly couldn’t wait to give it back.

Fuel economy was shocking performance really was weak and the gearing on the thing was dreadful.

People talk about how unreliable modern diesels are, however in 5 years and 50k miles I’ve never had an engine issue. No egr, no dpf and no turbo issues.
Feel relieved to be back in my old T5.1 140bhp and having had the T6 Petrol for a decent run of time, it’s stopped me in my tracks about replacing my current vehicle. Of which, I very nearly done recently.

IMO, if you don’t currently have a van and are looking. I would go straight to a 150Tdi.
If you already have a T5 which is reliable, think long and hard before changing.
Perhaps the second generation to hit these vehicles will perform a lot better or perhaps it needs some electrical assistance to allow the petrol to shine.

Good Luck.

I'm not saying the TSI150 is fast, compared to the old TDI140 it does require 500Rpm more fore the same power up to around 3000 from where it actually has more...

Back