Panel van Tyre pressure monitor enable.

My mechanic activated TPMS on one of my 2018 T6 panel van. Light shows on the dash and I was able to store tire pressure on the MFD however, when I deflated one of the front tires, no alarm went on....

Stored pressure was at 51 PSI. I did a test at 40-30-25 and 20. Took the van for a 1km trip each time to test. Alarm never went on.

Is there something else that should be activated?
The system actually does not measure/or store any pressures as there are no sensors as such. Instead, resetting "pressure" starts a learning period which stores a kind of tire "vibration patterns" or "instantaneous fluctuation of rolling speed profile" which is later compared to actual one. The learning takes some time - I seem to remember mentions of at least 30 mins (??). Could possibly be even longer if needs to record profile at different speeds etc.

I suspect that the TPMS system on T6 is a descendant/variant of TPLI+ system introduced a few years ago in VW Self Study Programme 541 - pages 9, 20-25.
---> VAG SSP 541 – Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems 2014 - Pdf Online Download

The system actually does not measure/or store any pressures as there are no sensors as such. Instead, resetting "pressure" starts a learning period which stores a kind of tire "vibration patterns" or "instantaneous fluctuation of rolling speed profile" which is later compared to actual one. The learning takes some time - I seem to remember mentions of at least 30 mins (??). Could possibly be even longer if needs to record profile at different speeds etc.

My Monitoring was enabled thanks to a VCDS owner last year. I have noticed that following tire pressure adjustment and resetting the monitor, the warning sometimes triggers after around 30 minutes travel. It has always been a 'false alarm', but it is a nuisance and a bit of a concern when it triggers. I then have to reset the monitor again and following that it's usually fine. Is this something we have to accept during the learning period or is there a way to avoid this early false alarm.

I had a Seat Leon a few years ago which had the same type of tyre pressure monitoring (possibly identical given it is a VAG vehicle).
The system worked perfectly most of the time, but sometimes threw up false alarms. These only seemed to happen when the tyres were worn very unevenly (e.g. one very worn, and another brand new), and on hot days. I suspect that the uneven tyre wear and wider variation in cold and hot pressures during a journey meant that the allowed differential in rotation speed triggered the system.
It went away when I replaced the very worn tyre(s).

Pete

Since I fitted air my TPMS goes off pretty much every trip after 10-15 mins.
I can’t find any reason why.
When I get done time and remember I will turn it off as it’s annoying and seems pointless as I ignore it.

Since I fitted air my TPMS goes off pretty much every trip after 10-15 mins.
Mine isn’t nearly that frequent and usually settles after the first reset. So I will continue to use it, at least for the present.
And the resetting isn’t done as in the video, rather it’s via the MFD.

I suspect that the TPMS system on T6 is a descendant/variant of TPLI+ system introduced a years few back in VW Self Study Programme 541 - pages 9, 20-25.
---> VAG SSP 541 – Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems 2014 - Pdf Online Download

Today the staff did a 5 hours trip. Upon their return I proceeded to deflating a tyre down to 25 then 20 psi, still didn't get an alarm. Weird...

It won’t show an alarm until you drive it with the tyre in the deflated state, long enough for the system to compare the stats against what’s stored.

Reactions: mmi
The system uses the ABS sensors to measure rolling circumference of the tyre

when you reset it measures and saves a value when driving if it sees a variation to the saved RRC values of around 0.15 it will ping an alarm if the car is stationary and you let air out nothing will happen unless you have a direct TPMS system with actual pressure monitors in the valve this is option on Amarok mine has it but it’s expensive you then get a display in the MFD with actual pressures in each tyre

Wow, can’t believe I’ve only just found this. Took about 2 minutes and it’s all activated. Thanks.

Back