OpenPilot / Comma.ai self driving on T6.1?

solutionz

T6 Pro
With the release of sleek new comma.ai comma three devkit I wonder if anyone has looked at installing it on their T6.1?

(Unfortunately it doesn't look like T6 or lower are supported as they use "hydraulic power steering", but it looks like T6.1 should be as it uses electric).

The VW Tiguan 2020 which is on the comma.ai supported list uses the same camera [2Q0980653B] as the T6.1 so should be compatible with that harness option - and possibly others.

Well I've ordered my comma three devkit with MQB Development Harness (apparently all the VW harnesses are the same).

It would be good if any other T6.1 owners can also contribute data to the project which you can do with the above kit, or the previous comma two devkit (RRP US$1299 or will probably start to see cheap on Ebay as users upgrade).

Or with a US$299 red panda and a US$200 car harness can even get it running off a laptop: openpilot/tools/webcam at master · commaai/openpilot

Just an update;

My comma three finally arrived and now installed and operating as expected on openpilot.

It turns out the comma VW harness doesn't fit the T6.1 and camera [2Q0980653B] out of the box without a few modifications.

I shaved the ears off the comma harness plug and matching T6.1 camera plug so that they would physically fit.

1631945398766.png 1631945435365.png1631945475621.png

Next the pins on the comma harness have to be rearranged as follows;

1631945210766.png

Then jump on the comma.ai VW discord: Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

And request the latest custom build for the vehicle, currently: fork installer generator

Other than that it's fairly straightforward...

I can post some more pics / video later if anyone's interested.

Not sure how I missed this, would love to see what your doing and how it’s working etc :thumbsup:

Some more installation pics:
1632200132368.png
1632200159383.png
And "temporary" mounting:
1632200451584.png
Calibrated and engaged: Currently lane keeping down to ~50kph / moderate corners (steering torque currently limited by VW EPS however possibility to increase limits, speed currently controlled by ACC controls however in future will be fully automated by OpenPilot AI).
1632200527269.png

The VW California 2021 (T6.1) is now officially supported by OpenPilot (as a community maintained vehicle) and indicates compatibility with other T6.1 variants and MQB-MFK 3.0 generally: openpilot/CARS.md at master · commaai/openpilot

I'd still be interested to see it running in some other T6.1's (inc base model Transporters) to see if there are any differences; particularly regarding minimum speeds for LKAS (and any other steering racks besides 7LA 909 144 D) and ACC, and anyone that has TJA, TSR and/or pACC also running.

but dont you need good spec/parking sensors/lane assist etc for the system to work ?
Parking sensors not required.

Ideally you would have factory active lane assist and adaptive cruise control, then you can connect the comma harness at the vehicle MFK camera.

However technically the MFK camera / factory lane assist is not required as you can also connect the comma directly to the J533 gateway - as long as your electric power steering supports lane assist instructions over CAN-BUS.

@solutionz have you driven a VAG vehicle equipped with TRAFFIC JAM ASSIST?
I am wondering what would be your impression/opinion comparing TJA with OPEN PILOT?

Reactions: mmi
@solutionz have you driven a VAG vehicle equipped with TRAFFIC JAM ASSIST?
I am wondering what would be your impression/opinion comparing TJA with OPEN PILOT?
No I haven't used TJA but understand how it works (at lower speeds) and am looking to try retrofit it to my T6.1 to enable OpenPilot to work below 50km/h.

My OP setup is currently like having VW Adaptive Lane Guidance (lane keeping) enabled, but without the 12sec timeout and with far better lane detection.

Future updates should add OP full speed control inc based on traffic signs / lights, corners etc. - else this could be augmented by retrofitting pACC.

The EPS however will require some hacking to increase commandable steering torque for tighter cornering capability and Tesla-level autopilot.

Just an update I've been rocking OpenPilot for about a year now on my T6.1 Cali and still alive!

The software has refined a lot however still working to overcome some limitations of steering under 50kph and around tighter corners (increasing EPS lane assist torque. Relevant:

I'm now connected to the J533 module behind the dash using the stock Comma J533 harness which is actually a far easier plug-n-play install now and allows testing and eventual use of OP long (OP controlled longitudinal accel/brake instead of stock cruise control).

1664228984967.png

From there the USB C cable is routed around to the Comma 3 on the windshield, removing all the ugly cables previously going to the stock camera.

1664228643940.png

To mount to the T6.1 windscreen you'll need to add a 9 degree slope to the factory mount or modify and 3d print a new bracket accordingly:
1664233044996.png1664232807138.png

You can get started with a Comma 2 (Freon) device for around US$250 or a Comma 3 & J533 harness from around US$2200.

1664233475257.png

There's currently around a half dozen active T6.1 users on the Comma.ai discord now so it'd be great to see more of you getting on board, especially as I see the T6.1 (particularly Cali) as potentially the best OpenPilot / self driving vehicle available.

The next vast improvement will be implementing pACC (in the interim until OP long is stable) as well as the EPS / lane assist improvements above.

Just an update I've been rocking OpenPilot for about a year now on my T6.1 Cali and still alive!

The software has refined a lot however still working to overcome some limitations of steering under 50kph and around tighter corners (increasing EPS lane assist torque. Relevant:

I'm now connected to the J533 module behind the dash using the stock Comma J533 harness which is actually a far easier plug-n-play install now and allows testing and eventual use of OP long (OP controlled longitudinal accel/brake instead of stock cruise control).

View attachment 173933

From there the USB C cable is routed around to the Comma 3 on the windshield, removing all the ugly cables previously going to the stock camera.

View attachment 173932

To mount to the T6.1 windscreen you'll need to add a 9 degree slope to the factory mount or modify and 3d print a new bracket accordingly:
View attachment 173937View attachment 173936

You can get started with a Comma 2 (Freon) device for around US$250 or a Comma 3 & J533 harness from around US$2200.

View attachment 173938

There's currently around a half dozen active T6.1 users on the Comma.ai discord now so it'd be great to see more of you getting on board, especially as I see the T6.1 (particularly Cali) as potentially the best OpenPilot / self driving vehicle available.

The next vast improvement will be implementing pACC (in the interim until OP long is stable) as well as the EPS / lane assist improvements above.
Wow! This is so helpful.

Would you make a tutorial step by step to install this in the California T6.1? I’d be super interested to do this as my next project!

Cheers,
Florian

Hey, great thread, I'm thinking about buying a comma 3 for my 6.1. Do you have another link for that discord? None of the links seem to work for me. cheers.

Hi guys, in requirements for T6.1 it is stated I need ACC and Lane Assist in my vehicle. Unfortunately I dont have Lane Assist (do have ACC), but the vehicle is able to stear on its own since I have a Patking Assist - vehicle is able to park itself. Do you think OP would work in this case?
Thanks,
Peter

Back