T6.1 Travel Assist Retrofit

Travel Assist is effectively an "exercise" to put under one "umbrella" two major assistants: ACC & LANE ASSIST.
Ultimately it is a kind of evolution of a Traffic Jam Assist.

In simple words, Traffic Jam Assist allows to use LANE ASSIST with no vehicle speed restrictions while ACC is engaged.
By default Lane Assist works above 65km/h and automatically deactivates under 60km/h.

To get TRAVEL ASSIST I would imagine the following would be required.
Obviously MFSW with dedicated button, ACC(probably Stop&Go as FTS might not be sufficient), Lane Assist with cracked data set to enable Traffic Jam Assist and maximise hands free driving time(60 seconds +) and Emergency Assist.

Reactions: mmi
It's unclear to me from the video at what speeds the lane assist is operating..?

I'd be VERY interested in any solution to enable lane assist below 50km/h which would allow full self driving OpenPilot on T6.1 however I haven't yet seen any evidence of any T6.1 or 7LA 909 144 x [Address 44: Steering Assist (J500)] being capable of lane assist / HCA instructions under 50km/h (apart for park assist).

It has the [Address A5: Frt Sens. Drv. Assist (R242)] 2Q0 980 653 which is capable of being coded and parametricized for TJA however from what I can see lacks the required bits for coding on the Steering Assist.

I came across "vag retrofit & coding" on FB who claim to be able to enable TJA on T6.1 for €600 however they could provide no proof or explain what modules they would need to update (such as new firmware for the EPS) so I'd treat them as a scam unless proven otherwise.

To get LANE ASSIST to work with no speed restriction(subject to ACC being enabled/active) you only need corresponding TJA data set uploaded to your A5 camera.

To get LANE ASSIST to work with no speed restriction(subject to ACC being enabled/active) you only need corresponding TJA data set uploaded to your A5 camera.

As I understand TJA coding on A5 just tells it to keep sending HCA requests to EPS even when under 50kph.

T6.1 EPS starts rejecting HCA requests anyway under ~50kph as confirmed by OpenPilot logging (OP basically just emulates A5).

So for TJA to work on T6.1 it would need either;
  1. A5 to use park assist commands under 50kph.
  2. A5 to use some special unknown TJA commands under 50kph.
  3. New 44.EPS firmware or coding to accept HCA requests under 50kph.
  4. Retrofit new EPS rack - if anyone know of any possible compatible candidates??
I'm still yet to see any example of any case on a T6.1 or 7LA 909 144 x but still hopeful.

The current alternatives are getting hold of the EPS firmware and modifying it as has been done for PQ - if someone can provide a copy of the firmware from ODIS etc I'd be grateful.

Or it would require a hardware torque interceptor similar to this one for Mazda but more advanced to intercept the PAS(4/PSI5?) current modulated signal(s) to work with OP down to 0, hence I've begun tearing apart and reverse engineering the rack.

I don't have T6.1 and never tried it on one so can't provide you with ready to go solution, but I have enabled TJA on few other MQB vehicles.
It is a very simple process once you get cracked data set for your A5 camera.

In one of my cases I had to upgrade the firmware cause I couldn't find TJA data set for the original A5 camera SW. In addition there are TJA data sets with 60+ seconds hands free driving!
This is such a cool experience, it is almost like AUTOPILOT :cool:

Yes I don't doubt other MQBs (even with the same A5:2Q0980653) support TJA just by coding A5 and/or uploading paramertric via VCP, some (PQ) also require an additional coding of the 44:EPS; but these should all also work out of the box down to 0 on OpenPilot anyway even without coding A5 as it just uses the same HCA requests.

The problem seems to be this specific T6.1 EPS [7LA 909 144 F/G] firmware not accepting HCA under 50kph.

I haven't actually tried uploading paramertric to my A5 anyway but I have a VCP so if someone can provide the files I can give it a go to confirm.

I assume there will be none specific to a T6.1 however I presume something close like Touareg maybe should be sufficient to see if it works or not (calibration doesn't matter as it'd eventually be controlled by OP).

> Address A5: Frt Sens. Drv. Assist (R242) Labels:* None
> Part No SW: 2Q0 980 653 B HW: 2Q0 980 653
> Component: MQB MFK 3.0 H13 1202
> Serial number: E57829512203390
> Coding: 00010C08117AC020909F00000030002006018000000000000000000000000000
> ASAM Dataset: EV_MFK3ValeoMQB 007042
> ROD: EV_MFK3ValeoMQB_007_VW27.rod
> VCID: 343A75D39EBD35CB5BB-8060

The preferred option however would be if someone could provide me with a 2Q0 980 653 (or I send you one from eBay), coded for TSR & TJA and tested on any non-T6.1 VW then sent to me to test on T6.1 with a known good config & without risking bricking my factory unit - would this work re copy protection?

In either case I'm wanting a TSR enabled A5 (which I understand is a SWAP / FeC) in order to activate pACC which will also vastly improve the OpenPilot experience until OP longitudinal control is stable.

Hi, I had my wing mirror damaged by a lorry. I was wondering what I'd need to do to retro fit my wing mirrors with the lane assist. I currently have t6 highline and it has everything but lane assist fitted. Would it just require the wing mirrors or would I need coding doing and new looms etc. Cheers Phill

Hi, I had my wing mirror damaged by a lorry. I was wondering what I'd need to do to retro fit my wing mirrors with the lane assist. I currently have t6 highline and it has everything but lane assist fitted. Would it just require the wing mirrors or would I need coding doing and new looms etc. Cheers Phill
That's a lot of work.

Looms, modules and rear radar sensors. Also not on LWB (not sure why) or barn doors( due to radar location by rear hinges).

I have seen it retrofit on a swb tailgate version though.

@Robert done it?

Have a read below.

Alternative side assist system for a T6
My rear traffic alert system is ready for installation ;)
View attachment 61532

Barn door example
Work is in progressView attachment 184220
View attachment 184221

Barn door T6 side assist retrofit started.

That's a lot of work.

Looms, modules and rear radar sensors. Also not on LWB (not sure why) or barn doors( due to radar location by rear hinges).

I have seen it retrofit on a swb tailgate version though.

@Robert done it?

I have lane assist on LWB, so guess this is a possible retrofit on T6.1.

Sweet.

So it's just a "barn door" thing to overcome now.

Back