Oil Warning Light

Thanks for the info HootingOwl I always like to get others opinions as you know what dealers are like they try to get out of everything.
I will post updates on the outcome.

Hi all
My van is going into a different garage tomorrow and the likely outcome is a replacement engine after 5000 miles! My question is, I have asked the dealer but I would like others opinions, that should the Diesel Particulate Filter be changed as well as the van has used 18 litres of oil in 5000 miles or would it be ok, as I'm thinking that maybe it's life has been prematurely shortened and I would be left with a big bill. Any help would be appreciated.
A few thoughts.

The estimated lifespan of the DPF in T6 seems to be is slightly above 300000 km (200000 miles). I extracted the number from the ECU as follows. The max allowed ash mass in the DPF (of T6/EU6) is 110 grams (from ECU). On my van at 38500 km (24000 miles) the ash accumulation counter in the ECU had registered ash mass of 13.43 grams. At steady rate that would mean the counter would reach the max at 316000 km (197000 miles).

Take notice that the ash accumulation counter is not actual measurement but just a calculated number based on “normal” engine characteristics and not taking into account any abnormalities like excessive oil consumption. Based on my observations the counter seems to be based on fuel consumption and driving cycles – longer runs, less accumulated ash.

According to scientists a significant source of the ash in the DPF is engine oil. For example Ash Accumulation in Diesel Particulate Filters

I agree with “normal” oil consumption figures stated above in the thread – about 1 litre/10000 miles. That means that during 200000 miles “normal” engine normally uses/burns about 20 litres of engine oil, residuals of which will be caught as ash in the DPF.

Just an observation. I had my engine oil analysed after 25000 km (15000 miles). At that point the oil was diluted with about 8% of diesel (equals to 0,65 litres). The dipstick was still at 2/3 from max. So real oil consumption had been about a litre during the period.

Based on the above my argumentation would be that the DPF has been already filled up with residuals of excessively burned engine oil.

However, it’s not just the DPF. In addition to the DPF EU6 T6s also have an oxidation catalytic converter (see picture at Regeneration Cause Fire. ) in front of the DPF. I would think the shortened lifespan would apply for that too.

Hi mmi
I really appreciate your in depth information regarding my vehicle problem. I have spoken to the dealer and told them I want the components replaced and I have also told VW UK as I have made a complaint.
Once again thanks for your time to answer my query.

Any new engine will need running in properly, just like the old ones did! Sometimes I don’t think people are advised at pick up on how to go about it to allow proper seating of components (rings) etc.
Albeit some just don’t seat correctly at all and will use daft amounts even in they are run in correctly.
Mine used a litre every 700 miles up to 3300 miles, after a three day trip to the south of Spain, and back, it now doesn’t use a drop, and all the white gunk on filler neck and cap has disappeared.
I’m not saying drive 4000 miles but good longish trips when they are new does them the world of good.

Hi all

Just to give an update of the situation with the excessive oil consumption Transporter T6 204 4 motion manual.
The van has been in the garage for three weeks and after multiple tests ordered by VW UK the conclusion is that a new engine is required.
The garage JCB Group Eastbourne has informed me that upon stripping the engine and on inspection it was discovered that two piston rings had failed/worn with no reason as to why yet.
This problem came about after approximately 1800 miles when the oil warning light came on. So roughly from brand new November 2017 the vehicle has burnt according to JCB approximately 15 litres of oil as according to them max to min on the dipstick is 3 litres and it has been filled 5 times, the current mileage is 6000.
I have had numerous calls from and to VW UK regarding the issue and I have stated that I want the DPF and catalytic converter changed but they are not willing to do so as it is not covered under warranty even though it has been flooded with oil and presumably diesel, no wonder fuel consumption was terrible.
VW UK are horrendous at customer care and said today 1-10-18 that they will talk to JCB Eastbourne and they may change it as a gesture of goodwill and that will be it and I will have NO compensation ( the DPF would be my compensation!!!!) for my time and aggravation Diesel, lost work time, unloading reloading vehicle of tools etc.
So the vehicle is 10 months old, cost around £38000 and in total excluding when I eventually get it back I have lost it for four weeks and it's not due back until next week.
Volkswagen treat customers appallingly and never seem to grasp the problem and listen to customer concerns and deal with it.
I'm also wondering if this is the same problem as the T5 I've heard about and it is now affecting the T6 204 models.

Thanks to the forum.

Hi all

Just to give an update of the situation with the excessive oil consumption Transporter T6 204 4 motion manual.
The van has been in the garage for three weeks and after multiple tests ordered by VW UK the conclusion is that a new engine is required.
The garage JCB Group Eastbourne has informed me that upon stripping the engine and on inspection it was discovered that two piston rings had failed/worn with no reason as to why yet.
This problem came about after approximately 1800 miles when the oil warning light came on. So roughly from brand new November 2017 the vehicle has burnt according to JCB approximately 15 litres of oil as according to them max to min on the dipstick is 3 litres and it has been filled 5 times, the current mileage is 6000.
I have had numerous calls from and to VW UK regarding the issue and I have stated that I want the DPF and catalytic converter changed but they are not willing to do so as it is not covered under warranty even though it has been flooded with oil and presumably diesel, no wonder fuel consumption was terrible.
VW UK are horrendous at customer care and said today 1-10-18 that they will talk to JCB Eastbourne and they may change it as a gesture of goodwill and that will be it and I will have NO compensation ( the DPF would be my compensation!!!!) for my time and aggravation Diesel, lost work time, unloading reloading vehicle of tools etc.
So the vehicle is 10 months old, cost around £38000 and in total excluding when I eventually get it back I have lost it for four weeks and it's not due back until next week.
Volkswagen treat customers appallingly and never seem to grasp the problem and listen to customer concerns and deal with it.
I'm also wondering if this is the same problem as the T5 I've heard about and it is now affecting the T6 204 models.

Thanks to the forum.
That’s not good to hear and sorry to read about your bad times.
It maybe worth totting up all your down time, lack of business, fuel to and from garage, excessive fuel usage, oil you have put in it etc etc. They may back down when they see all these. Don’t forget to ensure fresh full warranty for everything they replace.

That’s not good to hear and sorry to read about your bad times.
It maybe worth totting up all your down time, lack of business, fuel to and from garage, excessive fuel usage, oil you have put in it etc etc. They may back down when they see all these. Don’t forget to ensure fresh full warranty for everything they replace.

Hi Paul
Thanks for your reply you are absolutely right I have noted everything down and can't wait to show them my costs. Hopefully they will sort it out before it goes to court.
Cheers

So my 204 Dsg has never missed a beat never had any sort of warning light. Its currently done 17k and vw did its first service at 9k in February. The check oil level has just come on ! I have not yet checked the level as it needs to cool down. I hope this is not going to lead to many issues after reading this thread. :mad:

A few thoughts.

The estimated lifespan of the DPF in T6 seems to be is slightly above 300000 km (200000 miles). I extracted the number from the ECU as follows. The max allowed ash mass in the DPF (of T6/EU6) is 110 grams (from ECU). On my van at 38500 km (24000 miles) the ash accumulation counter in the ECU had registered ash mass of 13.43 grams. At steady rate that would mean the counter would reach the max at 316000 km (197000 miles).

Take notice that the ash accumulation counter is not actual measurement but just a calculated number based on “normal” engine characteristics and not taking into account any abnormalities like excessive oil consumption. Based on my observations the counter seems to be based on fuel consumption and driving cycles – longer runs, less accumulated ash.

According to scientists a significant source of the ash in the DPF is engine oil. For example Ash Accumulation in Diesel Particulate Filters

I agree with “normal” oil consumption figures stated above in the thread – about 1 litre/10000 miles. That means that during 200000 miles “normal” engine normally uses/burns about 20 litres of engine oil, residuals of which will be caught as ash in the DPF.

Just an observation. I had my engine oil analysed after 25000 km (15000 miles). At that point the oil was diluted with about 8% of diesel (equals to 0,65 litres). The dipstick was still at 2/3 from max. So real oil consumption had been about a litre during the period.

Based on the above my argumentation would be that the DPF has been already filled up with residuals of excessively burned engine oil.

However, it’s not just the DPF. In addition to the DPF EU6 T6s also have an oxidation catalytic converter (see picture at Regeneration Cause Fire. ) in front of the DPF. I would think the shortened lifespan would apply for that too.

Not far off with 200000 miles life. The T5 I've just bought needed a new dpf that I've had done .154000 miles but lots of short journeys in its last year. Also had a knackered egr that probably didn't help.

Reactions: mmi
Back