Oil Warning Light

Colin

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has had the oil Warning Light come on yet. I have a brand new 204bhp manual gearbox since February and at 7200 miles my oil light came on. I drove to my local VW stealership and the young bint on the service dept filled me with crap. I had my brand new T5 180bhp Sportline from new and right up to 100,000 the oil light never came on (manual again).
I told her she was talking rubbish as I've never had a van that has had an oil Warning Light come on at low mileage. I'm keeping an eye on it but has anyone else had a problem.
Also when I went to top it up and opened the cap there was gunge around the entrance hole.

Cheers everyone

Colin.

Hi Colin
Gunge in cap and top of dipstick is normal for these cooler running engines, there is a TSB on the forum in various places for you to read if you have a quick search.
Regarding the oil all my VWs have used a litre of oil till first service then settled down so perhaps it wasn't properly checked during PDI?

Hi Colin
Gunge in cap and top of dipstick is normal for these cooler running engines, there is a TSB on the forum in various places for you to read if you have a quick search.
Regarding the oil all my VWs have used a litre of oil till first service then settled down so perhaps it wasn't properly checked during PDI?
I thought the same with the oil that they hadn't topped it up right. Do you know it's a £30,000.00 + van and they have now stopped giving a free litre of oil in the van and they no longer do free oil and washer jet top ups. Getting tighter everytime I order a new one.

My oil light came on at 8000 miles. Poor engine was nearly dry. I've been slowly introducing the recommended oil back into it. I've only had my van since the end of Jan so I didn't really think to check yet.

Driving style, I think is the biggest factor. Those 204s feel great pulling off the line, overtaking and generally giving them the beans. Lord knows I probably need to ease off and it's drinking oil as a result.

I learnt my lesson though. I'll be checking each week from now on. I'm just praying I haven't created any problems in the pistons.

It's easily done. There's a tendency to think that a new modern engine shouldn't use any oil, but that is not always the case.
I had a new Honda Accord CTDi that got through a surprising amount of oil from day 1. But a BMW 520D followed that and that car hasn't used a drop between services (and it's now on 181k miles).

It's easily done. There's a tendency to think that a new modern engine shouldn't use any oil, but that is not always the case.
I had a new Honda Accord CTDi that got through a surprising amount of oil from day 1. But a BMW 520D followed that and that car hasn't used a drop between services (and it's now on 181k miles).
I spent the last 5 years driving Vivaros for work and I hardly ever had to top up the oil. I was just used to not needing to check frequently. I bought a new Audi A4 toward the end of last summer, that also uses a lot of oil. Perhaps these newer engines are just needy!?!?

Thought I'd check my oil tonight and found gunge under the filler cap which I cleaned off. The oil level was normal as I would expect being as the engine has done less the 2000 miles, happy so far with it. :)

Mine needed a litre at pretty low milage. Just had a service at around 12,000 miles now and haven't found it low again.Keeping a closer eye on it as the dealer said acceptable usage is a litre every 1000 miles.......

Especially for newer engines it might be quite OK that they consume some amount of oil. This is due to many facts - oil is more liquid than earlier years, pistons are not 100% round when engine is cool and while heating up pistons take their normal shape, there some amount of oil loss through turbos, sorts trips = engines do not heat up so much etc. At the same time it is important to know that too much oil loss is also bad and then you should contact your dealer and they will do special oil measurement.

Excessive oil loss was actually a big problem for T5.5 132kW BiTDI engines and I know several car that got new blocks from factory already during waranty period.

PS! I've seen that even newer VAG engines use even more liquid oil 0W20 and I imagine that these might be even more thirsty
PPS! Did you know that for Audi V8 models it was considered OK to have 1l oil for every 1000km? o_O

The adds are full off 180hk biturbos in Norway. Typically run around 100k km and warranty expired. i guess the owners are scared to hold on to them. Been some posting on facebook @VW Norway.

I know it's not a t6 but i had a 2012 mk6 gti that was using a litre every 1000 mile. I complained to the dealership and they had it in a checked over and said it's within tolerance. Iv never used that much oil in a car before

I had a 3.0 audi a6 (with gas conversion) that used a litre every 1.5/2k , then an Eclass 320cdi that had done 170k miles when it left me that never used a drop between 10k services and now the T6 that is at 34k and doesn't lose and between services. Luck of the draw I think sometimes!

Mine needed a litre at pretty low milage. Just had a service at around 12,000 miles now and haven't found it low again.Keeping a closer eye on it as the dealer said acceptable usage is a litre every 1000 miles.......
Sorry mate but that's what that dozy bint said at my garage. No fooking way should you be putting 1Ltd of oil into a diesel engine every 1000 miles if so we'd never buy one. I do 1000-1300 a week and that is a piss take. By any chance was it Lookers?

Not Diesel engines, big petrol engines, yes. 7000 odd miles is nothing, something not right there. Have had S and RS Audis and V8 Beemers, they'd use oil, a litre around 6-10k miles, shouldn't be the case on a Diesel engine.

Last edited:
Not Diesel engines, big petrol engines, yes. 7000 odd miles is nothing, something not right there. Have had S and RS Audis and V8 Beemers, they'd use oil, a litre around 6-10k miles, shouldn't be the case on a Diesel engine.
You would be using fully synthetic on them cars and it does evaporate

Back