Oil Warning Light

I know it's not a t6 but i had a 2012 mk6 gti that was using a litre every 1000 mile. I complained to the dealership and they had it in a checked over and said it's within tolerance. Iv never used that much oil in a car before
More like 1L for every 10K, that is my experience.

Be grateful it's not like a Mini I had, the oil went down quicker than the tank as the rings had gone. Sold it on after i found a load of rot I it.

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has had the oil Warning Light come on yet. I have a brand new 204bhp manual gearbox since February and at 7200 miles my oil light came on. I drove to my local VW stealership and the young bint on the service dept filled me with crap. I had my brand new T5 180bhp Sportline from new and right up to 100,000 the oil light never came on (manual again).
I told her she was talking rubbish as I've never had a van that has had an oil Warning Light come on at low mileage. I'm keeping an eye on it but has anyone else had a problem.
Also when I went to top it up and opened the cap there was gunge around the entrance hole.

Cheers everyone

Colin.
Oh and can you not call people 'bints!' Lol

Be grateful it's not like a Mini I had, the oil went down quicker than the tank as the rings had gone. Sold it on after i found a load of rot I it.
All the Austin mini we have had always had a oil leak even dads maxi hl and his good old Austin 1300gt.
Rot on a Austin bl never ;)

Last edited:
More like 1L for every 10K, that is my experience.
Yes, that's is the amount I have experienced to be normal on all my cars. My old T5 (96kW) (240tkm-150tmiles) ran during oil change period (usually 25000km) from top mark to low mark on the stick. I assume it was supposed to mean a liter. Unfortunately never verified the amount on the stick because I didn't want to pour fresh oil into engine just to get it changed. Eventually oil level sensor/warning alarmed but on the stick it was still normal. At the dealer they said right away, that it 's the sensor, and they have those "surprisingly" on the shelf o_O. But that was the T5.

Anyways, current T6 doing still the same - driven 15.000 km since oil change, and seems that I get till oil change without filling. May be the oil is just diluted with that extra diesel that seems vanish mysteriously on my T6. And, the dealer didn't give be the bottle. I bought one years ago for T5 before a long trip just in case but that's still in my garage unopened. I should have left that in the old one to get rid of.

I've done 4000 miles in mine and will be typical if I take the oil out the light will come and have to buy some
Yes I thought the same! Keep it in that door you never know! Just always remember folks, don't put fresh oil into a warm engine! You can cause some cracked bits if you do! Let it cool down a hell of a lot before taking cap off or anything else! Try not to drive with oil light on either. Pull over somewhere safe and use that oil in the door!

Yes I thought the same! Keep it in that door you never know! Just always remember folks, don't put fresh oil into a warm engine! You can cause some cracked bits if you do! Let it cool down a hell of a lot before taking cap off or anything else! Try not to drive with oil light on either. Pull over somewhere safe and use that oil in the door!
Great minds think alike ;)

Mine needed a litre at pretty low milage. Just had a service at around 12,000 miles now and haven't found it low again.Keeping a closer eye on it as the dealer said acceptable usage is a litre every 1000 miles.......
Really ? Mine used about 2 litres doing 20000 miles !

Land rovers and old Harley/Brits were truly green.. They didn't leak oil, they returned the hydrocarbons to the ground :rolleyes::eek::whistle::thumbsup::rofl::rofl:

If the oil consumption gets high, and it's burning it, it can run on its own sump oil.. This is the real worry, or is this how they've improved the mpg, as sump oil isn't counted....... :rofl::sleep::sleep:

Done 25000 miles ( well 2 lots of 12500 ) as changed oil for my own peace of mind, but never had to top up .

Back