Oil Warning Light

If the oil consumption gets high, and it's burning it, it can run on its own sump oil.. This is the real worry, or is this how they've improved the mpg, as sump oil isn't counted....... :rofl::sleep::sleep:
Its like when a turbo goes and dumps the oil into the cooler and starts running away with itself revs like mad very scary waiting for engine to go bang or die down

If it does that and dies down.. It's fooked as its just sized up!, but better than seeing it detonate itself! :eek: THATS SCARY! All you can do is block intake with a solid object NOT your hand!, OR better still let off a co2 extinguisher into intake!

If it does that and dies down.. It's fooked as its just sized up!, but better than seeing it detonate itself! :eek: THATS SCARY! All you can do is block intake with a solid object NOT your hand!, OR better still let off a co2 extinguisher into intake!
Renault 1.9dci engines are prone to it had one go on me while overtaking limped home with it over reving for 15 miles and thre it straight onebay spares or repair couldnt e asked putting another turbo and pickup pipe on it as i had done it 18 months prior

Hi I have the same problem. I have a 67 plate (Nov 2017)204 manual 4 motion and it's done 4300 miles. The van is going into the garage tomorrow for an inspection as since new it has used almost 14 litres of oil!!!!
There are no leaks and no water in the oil so it's burning it at a huge rate. Will be interesting to see what they say.

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has had the oil Warning Light come on yet. I have a brand new 204bhp manual gearbox since February and at 7200 miles my oil light came on. I drove to my local VW stealership and the young bint on the service dept filled me with crap. I had my brand new T5 180bhp Sportline from new and right up to 100,000 the oil light never came on (manual again).
I told her she was talking rubbish as I've never had a van that has had an oil Warning Light come on at low mileage. I'm keeping an eye on it but has anyone else had a problem.
Also when I went to top it up and opened the cap there was gunge around the entrance hole.

Cheers everyone

Colin.

Last edited:
I took it to the garage the first time a couple of months ago and they did practically nothing so I contacted VW UK and they sorted it with the garage to conduct further investigation. Will post the results when I get the van back.

More like 1L for every 10K, that is my experience.

An old thread, but a handy one.
I was just looking to make sure it was normal to use oil, because my previous Vivaro never used a drop, and my oil light flickered on last night.

Your above ratio is spot on and mine uses exactly 1l to 10k, so a trip to the dealers this morning to buy a couple of top up bottles.

Just an update on my previous comment. My T6 is on a 500 mile test, the dealer topped the oil up and I will go back next week so they can measure the oil, test it whatever they do but on my checking the van has already used half so that means it has used 17 litres of oil at 4600 miles approx.

That’s a crazy amount !
VW seem to think that 1l per 1k is acceptable but not sure I would agree, keep us posted how you get on

I would imagine that they will replace your engine after the 500 mile test, 17 ltr over 4600 mile is crazy.

I have to start checking my oil level more, i've been keeping a eye on my engine with Oil analysis tests before oil changes to see if i'm heading towards issues.

So far the 2 tests i've sent off are good.

I should note, that here in Aus they will top up your oil for free in between services.

it's funny how we now have finer engine tolerances than say 15 years ago, but they seem to use more oil.

Hi Bryn
I'm thinking the same thing that a new engine is the route they will go down. Just annoyed that I had a transit for 20 years and little problems just normal maintenance and then I go and spend £38500 on a new van and within six months I've got aggro with it and they also wanted to charge me for oil until I said a word with three F's in it.
Also I'm wondering with the amount of oil it has used can other components become affected and have a premature working life?

I'd be annoyed as well, i had a coolant pump fail, the afternoon before i was heading of on a holiday, lost 4 days of my holiday waiting for a pump to be located and fitted, i way ready to burn it :mad:, but at least it failed before the trip and not in the middle of nowhere:thumbsup:

I'm not sure about the wear on other components, i'd just say it just a bore issue causing excess oil usage.

I really can't see VW not replacing that engine.

I would have gotten aggro as well, if they tried to charge me for an issue under warranty, poor service from your dealer on that count.

Hopefully the dealer, works with VW to get it replaced

Hi all
My van is going into a different garage tomorrow and the likely outcome is a replacement engine after 5000 miles! My question is, I have asked the dealer but I would like others opinions, that should the Diesel Particulate Filter be changed as well as the van has used 18 litres of oil in 5000 miles or would it be ok, as I'm thinking that maybe it's life has been prematurely shortened and I would be left with a big bill. Any help would be appreciated.

I would reject the entire bloody van. Yes , DPF is more than likely to be damaged by excessive oil consumption. Ask for DPF and all exhaust sensors to be renewed as part of the deal.

Back