Regeneration Cause Fire.

Grainfoot

T6 Pro
Is there any chance of a regeneration causing a grass fire when parking on long dry grass. Smells extremely hot when fan is cooling on ignition turn off. Have avoided parking on the longer grass at moment just in case but where is the filter is there any risk?

I would say yes - there is a significant risk.

I have observed that during regen temperature at DPF inlet is typically about 650C and of course almost the same at DPF outlet. When vehicle was stopped during active regen, the temperatures on tick over were still above 500C for more than a minute and seems to stay like that if the engine needs to keep on active regenning. I haven't measured surface temperatures but I'm afraid they are almost as hot as the exhaust gases (as above). The measurements were done in March at outside temp 0C. EU6 150PS engine.
T6_exhaust.JPG

I would say yes - there is a significant risk.

I have observed that during regen temperature at DPF inlet is typically about 650C and of course almost the same at DPF outlet. When vehicle was stopped during active regen, the temperatures on tick over were still above 500C for more than a minute and seems to stay like that if the engine needs to keep on active regenning. I haven't measured surface temperatures but I'm afraid they are almost as hot as the exhaust gases (as above). The measurements were done in March at outside temp 0C. EU6 150PS engine.
View attachment 26132

Thanks that has answered my question. No more long dry grass and stubble fields.

During an active regen then, is fuel being burned in the DPF and SCR trap to burn off the particles? I'm not seeing a diesel injector there.

During an active regen then, is fuel being burned in the DPF and SCR trap to burn off the particles? I'm not seeing a diesel injector there.
Yes indeed there is an additional dose of fuel from engine because of different injection scheme during active regen.

These engines do not have extra injector for DPF cleaning, instead during active regen they initiate yet another injection burst outside of power stroke at about 190..210 degrees (after TDC), so injecting fuel into cylinder when exhaust valve is open and piston travelling up pushing the remaining gases and that extra dose of fuel out.

Yes indeed there is an additional dose of fuel from engine because of different injection scheme during active regen.

These engines do not have extra injector for DPF cleaning, instead during active regen they initiate yet another injection burst outside of power stroke at about 190..210 degrees (after TDC), so injecting fuel into cylinder when exhaust valve is open and piston travelling up pushing the remaining gases and that extra dose of fuel out.
How does the re-gen work when the engine isn't running then? I.e when you switch off the engine & the regen process continues.

So I can boast that my van has an afterburner:rolleyes:.

Thats interesting @mmi . So I'm guessing there is perhaps software that adjusts the variable geometry turbo to compensate for this extra late burst of fuel in the exhaust stroke. As there could be combusting and therefore expanding gas as it passes through the turbo, causing it to spool up. Could be used as an anti lag system mind. :whistle:

Reactions: mmi
I had VW assist perform one and it was running at over 650 degrees - the heat haze coming off it was unbelievable.

It also killed nearly 1/3 tank in 1 hour.

0D319AAC-843C-489D-A650-CF81771B8DBE.jpeg

38989102-E989-4A42-AE68-22E7216C7DC9.jpeg

Reactions: mmi
So I can boast that my van has an afterburner:rolleyes:.

Thats interesting @mmi . So I'm guessing there is perhaps software that adjusts the variable geometry turbo to compensate for this extra late burst of fuel in the exhaust stroke. As there could be combusting and therefore expanding gas as it passes through the turbo, causing it to spool up. Could be used as an anti lag system mind. :whistle:
Yes, a kind of afterburnerpurifier ;) I think the VW document "SSP 514 The New EA288 Diesel Engine Family answers the questions on pages 57-64. The full document is available at VAG SSP 514 – The New EA288 Diesel Engine Family | Pdf Free Online

Post_inj.JPG
https://procarmanuals.com/vag-ssp-514-new-ea288-diesel-engine-family/

I had VW assist perform one and it was running at over 650 degrees - the heat haze coming off it was unbelievable.

It also killed nearly 1/3 tank in 1 hour.
Curious if got any fault codes recorded?

I'd be a little nervous, we have had quite a few newer 4X4 with DPF burn while outback, that spinafex doesn't take much to catch fire.

I haven't noticed, but id like to see a icon coming up when a Regen is happening,

Kinda related,

but on a recent trip to Silverstone race track and woodlands campsite we were given a separate

sheet of paper specifically banning the stationary running of any cars/vans whilst parked up.

a server fire risk apparently due to the very dry grass and ground.

33.jpg

Back