Night Heater location - internal or external??

@Goldy fitting under the right side (OEM position) and 'plumbing' the hot air to the left side is a thing that I did on one conversion BUT it was a lot of work. I had to remove and modify the heat shield above the exhaust and create a path for the hot air tube with insulation to retain the heat. At that length of tube and with the bends necessary it is approaching the limit of the permissible flow restriction of the heater, I ended up using a tube size larger than normal for a 2.2kW heater.
As for drilling the floor (tank cutter job) it's easy enough if you take the obvious precautions around existing wiring loom(s) etc. and treat the cut edges appropriately to stop corrosion in the future.

Personally I would install the heater in the OEM position under the floor below the right front seat (UK driver's) and bring the outlet out in the base of that seat. I know it eats some useful space but is easier to install and gives a better hot air flow.

Well i have just fitted one and i fitted under van (no mater how quiet they say it is it will still be noisy!) take the trim off under the van behind passenger seat there is plenty of space there, i just made a bracket to fasten it up and its all nice and neat.
didnt want to put on drivers side as i plan to put the skirt water tanks in there.
i was looking and thought if i did this again would i put in same place? possibly not, centrally underneath the van directly behind the engine there are 2 round chassis type thingymy jigs tubes - i recon it would fit very nicely there fastened to a bit of a support bracket between these 2 tubes. you might make a small wind deflector in front of it.
you could route the air pipe to either the passenger or drivers seat.

Don't forget that no diesel heater is designed to be be waterproof - you must shield it. I have seen too many units ruined by not having basic protection. OEM placement gives reasonable protection provided underbody shielding is present but once you move out from under that you are in the realms of needing a box. Once you use a box with a 2Kw heater you are up to the size of a 3.5/3.9/4/5/5.5Kw heater which will fit OEM placement naked. So if you fit a larger heater other than OEM placement you have little choice under there.

I totally agree with @oldiebut goodie about shielding. I would not advocate fitting other than either in the OEM position inboard of the drivers door step below the floor or like I have been able to do on a custom bracket in a similar location below the floor on the left side. As I said above this is only possible on a non Adblue vehicle and one without a coolant heater as both of these fitments impinge on the available space.

Thanks everyone
Its been very helpful, think I'm going with Rods suggestion of fitting a water tank in the space behind the drivers seat and the heater in the OEM position so allowing me fit everything else and keep the spare wheel.
Lots of fun and games ahead.

Can't figure out how to create a new post on here so hopefully someone can help me here.
Looks like, although I originally ordered a 2kw heater, they have sent me one that is the same dimensions as the Planar 4D (i.e. it is 392mm in length.)
Do I have enough room to install the larger Chinese heater under the VW T6 driver's seat using a turret plate? I don't want to underling it as it doesn't look very waterproof

By what I see from an internet search the Planar 4D looks to be constructed very much like a Webasto or Eberspacher heater so should be quite OK if mounted in the OEM position. If you have any doubt then add the extra plastic shielding that VW use. I've only ever fitted heaters protected by the normal plastic under chassis shielding. By the way, the standard OEM heater is a Webasto Air Top 3500 which is 423mm long if that helps to compare with your Planar.

Thanks for response. Is the OEM install underslung?
Actually, I should have made it clearer. It is a Chinese diesel heater I have, which is 392 in length. I was hoping to fit it under the drivers seat (inside the vehicle). Don't really want to go down the underslung route if possible.

Yes the OEM version is underslung, takes heating air in through a vent in the right door step and outlets via OEM fittings in the base of the right 'B' pillar or as many folks do via an outlet in the base of the right seat base. The combustion exhaust has a silencer and points out and slightly down towards the centre of the vehicle. Combustion in-going air is via another silencer with its end as high as possible under the floor.
You are welcome to mount the heater inside, however I prefer them outside mainly to be able to use the under seat space and to keep the noise level down.

can I assume then, that there is enough space underneath the driver's seat to fit the larger heater (392mm in length)

Just make up a cardboard box the same size to see if you can do what you want but underslung is the best way for the larger heaters (or send that heater back), ideally you need the OEM bracket for the larger heater to be underslung as it is only those flimsy ones (without rubber suspension) that are on general sale. Whatever you do you need to remember that it will need servicing at some point so don't make it too difficult to access and remove. I haven't got any OEM mounts in stock and none are due in the foreseeable future either.

mounted3500-jpg.35006

Last edited:
think I will try your suggestion of the cardboard box. Can't send it back as I used it in my garage for a while. thanks

If you mean under slung then yes there is more than enough space.

Here are a few pictures of the first one I fitted, this is with VW mounting parts which are far too expensive really so I have never used them again. But this will give you an idea how the heater is fitted under the floor.

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

That heater had the right angled outlet fitted, the factory fitment has the outlet in line like your Planar.

Here are the OEM parts..

full.jpg

That must give you an idea how much space there is below the floor and above the existing plastic covering.

Rod

Last edited:
OEM mount is overkill for that little heater!
OEM heater was Webasto 3500ST on T5s - they have gone back to Eberspacher, D4L and B4L on the T6, for some reason they alternate between the two over the years.

OEM mount is overkill for that little heater!
OEM heater was Webasto 3500ST on T5s - they have gone back to Eberspacher, D4L and B4L on the T6, for some reason they alternate between the two over the years.

I couldn't agree more, I tried it just to see how it all fitted but never again!

As you say VW have used both makes but they both have the same footprint so fit the same bracket. In fact VW were using petrol fuelled Eberspachers back in the 1950s, not the same shape as modern ones I hasten to add. I remember having to repair the ones under an air-cooled Type 4 quite a few times, the usual fault was a leaking fuel pipe.

@oldiebut goodie I knew that that Beetle version existed, I've even seen the mounting holes/pressings but never seen that heater. Have you? It looks very like the Type 4 version but smaller.

I've seen plenty of the ones that fitted under the bonnet and blew out over the left front persons knees.

Looking at other posts, I discounted underslung mounting as it is a Chinese diesel heater I have and was concerned re- exposure to weather. The case doesn't look waterproof and the electronics have little or no protection underneath the plastic case.

Under the driver's seat looks tight and that gives me concerns re clearances and build up of heat.

Might have to go for the Planar 2D. Anyone used this site for buying a Planar 2D diesel air heater?>>> Night diesel air heater Planar 2D (2kW) 12V (24V)

Back